3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
October 25, 2016, 8:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,264
Gold Stars: 113
I was thinking about the performance of the current Town board and wondered what other people thought.

I wonder what people think about the ambition of the board, we spent 6 years in non league with a shrinking budget and managed to get out the season the fans raised 100k for transfer budget. Looking up the road at Scunny, they often pay transfer fees and their board are pumping money in trying to get them in the championship. I know the much maligned Mullens have put some money in to the budget recently, but is anyone else on the board putting money in that is not guarantees or loans? I see the suggestions of some for the new manager and think these would only go to an ambitious club in our league that pays well and has a bit of a transfer kitty.

Why does the club operate at a very small loss each year? Now that gate receipts and other revenue seem much closer to covering expenditure, surely if we aren't being overly ambitious the books can balance. I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of the accounts can tell me if I'm way off with this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I was thinking about the performance of the current Town board and wondered what other people thought.

I wonder what people think about the ambition of the board, we spent 6 years in non league with a shrinking budget and managed to get out the season the fans raised 100k for transfer budget. Looking up the road at Scunny, they often pay transfer fees and their board are pumping money in trying to get them in the championship. I know the much maligned Mullens have put some money in to the budget recently, but is anyone else on the board putting money in that is not guarantees or loans? I see the suggestions of some for the new manager and think these would only go to an ambitious club in our league that pays well and has a bit of a transfer kitty.

Why does the club operate at a very small loss each year? Now that gate receipts and other revenue seem much closer to covering expenditure, surely if we aren't being overly ambitious the books can balance. I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of the accounts can tell me if I'm way off with this.

It puzzles me too. It's back to the conundrum regarding the club's debts and I'm not going to bang the same drum over again as my views are well known on this one.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
fishkeeper
October 25, 2016, 8:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
the thing i find hard to understand is we have great support and its on the increase and we have been reasonably successful for a few seasons . so in my eyes revenue must have gone up in both ticket sales food and drink, merchandises etc yet all we ever hear is shrinking budget we cant afford this or that . So someone please tell us were all the money goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
HackneyHaddock
October 25, 2016, 8:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Well I think Scunny have a wealthy owner which helps them, as they certainly wouldn't be able to maintain the style to which they've become accustomed on a home supporter base of 2,800/3,000.

I don't know the football-economics of our situation, but I think Getyourfactsright and the Raffle Winners put in a decent amount.  Even so, I'm sure there's a limit to what they can do and not sure that finding £300,000 for a manager down the back of the Findus Stand sofa is necessarily realistic.

Hopefully this season, the better gates and sponsorship will help, but there'll always be extra clamour for better players, a top manager and more spending, so I suppose it's all relative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Golden fox
October 25, 2016, 8:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
In my opinion it's the same problem we've had for the last 20 years - No one with the amount required to be able to 'have a real go ' at it . As much as people give JF stick , in my view he has got the best intentions of the club at heart , although now isn't willing to 'go mad ' on funding the club at a loss year-on-year ( And hasn't got the big funds required to go willy-nilly) . Scunny are whether we like it or not in a different league to us - they have a 'multi' who obviously wants to take them back to The Championship ( with a new stadium possibly even the EPL ) That's one of my fears losing PH , He worked to a budget , and there wasn't the merry go round of paying players/managers off which we had previously . Carrying forward gates should be strong and hopefully someone comes in who maintains stability , and who knows with a decent cup run we may break even this season . 🐺
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 25, 2016, 8:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,749
Gold Stars: 177
probably something to do with a certain board member allegedly getting a handy 'pension/payment' each year.

The club also has a ground that, unlike others, doesn't have a healthy non-match day revenue stream.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm sure that, whether some like it or not, having a football stadium that can host other events rather than a football only venue such as BP is, will improve the finances of the football club. It is only one of a host of things holding us back though - accumulated debts, the legacy of non-league, geography being others that spring immediately to mind.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Cloudy
October 25, 2016, 9:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
No doubt that the accumulated debt would hinder any investor, IF one is out there.

In round figures the debt to JF is circa £3m. If someone was interested in taking it on they would be deterred by having to pay £3m to take over a loss making football club. Hardly attractive!!

Now JF MAY be prepared to accept less but only if the investor can prove he has further money to invest and has the best interests of the football club at heart. That would be to Johns credit. I have no doubt he does care.

What I am concerned about is the publication of the accounts to 31st May 2016. Clearly the club exceeded their budgeted income last year as average gates were significantly higher, we went to Wembley twice and the fans produced a further £110k of cash. IF JF STILL had to put in money then I want to know why?

With all that non budgeted income surely the club were viable for those 12 months? If not then there are some serious questions to be asked.

IF a new stadium ever gets built I assume the cost of which will be borne by an investment company, possibly owned by the council/ JF.
Provided the football income goes to the football club then that should improve things but what we do with the benign debt is another question. Another question which isn't pleasant but needs asking all the same is what happens to the debt upon JF's demise? Will his benefactors demand immediate repayment? Maybe not a question for the message board but something that needs addressing at boardroom level

Football finance us complex, and the fact we remain a PLC is a strange decision. Are we the only PLC based in Gy? It is costly and restrictive.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
barralad
October 25, 2016, 10:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Scunthorpe's chairman has a link by marriage (I believe) to the Wilkos hardware retail empire so it may well be him rather than their whole board who is coming up with the readies.
As far as putting money in, it may be a bit of a drop in the ocean but the Trust put £30,000 into the coffers plus a lot more through extra purchases in the shop, "one-off" expenses and use of McMenemy's. The Mullins have contributed a significant amount but we just have to face the fact that at the moment there is no-one with the financial clout to spend freely-an issue faced by lots of clubs at our level and the one above.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Scunthorpe's chairman has a link by marriage (I believe) to the Wilkos hardware retail empire so it may well be him rather than their whole board who is coming up with the readies.
As far as putting money in, it may be a bit of a drop in the ocean but the Trust put £30,000 into the coffers plus a lot more through extra purchases in the shop, "one-off" expenses and use of McMenemy's. The Mullins have contributed a not significant amount but we just have to face the fact that at the moment there is no-one with the financial clout to spend freely-an issue faced by lots of clubs at our level and the one above.

I hope you mean a not insignficant amount! These double negatives are a pain in the ar**
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.