gtfc98
October 25, 2016, 3:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from arryarryarry
Didn't Stuart Watkiss take charge just before Newell was given the job, I remember seeing if trying to excuse a poor performance at Rotherham after we had been thumped 4-1.

He was the oine who said we were going to sign two stars on loan from Big, Big clubs (rumour I heard is that he'd enquired about a young Welbeck and Cleverly....but told no!) and we ended up with Malvin Kamara from the mighty Huddersfield and Tomi Ameobi from the even mightier Doncaster Rovers.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
RichMariner
October 25, 2016, 3:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I think we lost 1-0 at home to Barnet and it remains one of the worst games of football I've ever seen - and that includes matches not involving Town, and all matches I've watched on TV!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Mallyner
October 25, 2016, 4:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Lets get Dave Booth back as well he returned to England a few months back

We were talking with Dave Boylen a few months ago in the Notts and my mate who was in Tennerife at the same time as Dave Booth went, asked Dave Boylen why Booth left Town to go there.

Dave Boylen said, "Thereby hangs a tale:" and spent 15 minutes talking about everything that went on at the time and mentioned many players and clubs.

When Dave had finished, my mate asked again, "So why did Dave Booth leave?"
and Dave Boylen replied, "Nobody knows."

You had to be there.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
October 25, 2016, 4:13pm
Guest User
Watkiss is a good coach and we need that right now alongside DM during the interim period.

But whilst we all remember the disappointment of Alan Buckley's last period in charge, remember also that Stuart was a big part of that.

I alluded the other day to Alan being out of touch with the modern player market. Well there hardly seemed to be a signing that Buckley made without a mention being given to "Stuart knows him from his time at X - or Watkiss worked with the player at Y".  I particularly remember the big useless centre half from Brentford we signed on the back of Stuart Watkiss recommendation. Matt somebody or other???

Happy to have him back on the coaching team for the time being, but nothing more than that.
Reply: 23 - 31
Mariner_09
October 25, 2016, 4:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Matt Heywood. He was a proper cart horse.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
ginnywings
October 25, 2016, 4:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RichMariner
I think we lost 1-0 at home to Barnet and it remains one of the worst games of football I've ever seen - and that includes matches not involving Town, and all matches I've watched on TV!

I'm still trying to forget that game and there you go, bringing it back up again.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mariner_09
Matt Heywood. He was a proper cart horse.

Seen smaller cart horses!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
dapperz fun pub
October 25, 2016, 4:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Me I'd prefer all of the past coaches / managers not to be involved with our great club again , nothing personal but all part of a era id rather forget
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 25, 2016, 6:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mallyner

We were talking with Dave Boylen a few months ago in the Notts and my mate who was in Tennerife at the same time as Dave Booth went, asked Dave Boylen why Booth left Town to go there.

Dave Boylen said, "Thereby hangs a tale:" and spent 15 minutes talking about everything that went on at the time and mentioned many players and clubs.

When Dave had finished, my mate asked again, "So why did Dave Booth leave?"
and Dave Boylen replied, "Nobody knows."

You had to be there.

The season Dave Booth left we beat Everton and finished about 10th in Div 2 after finishing 5th the season before. I suspect there were a number of reasons why he left. One was the turmoil in the board room with the Ramsdens fighting between themselves and team investment looked to be stalling. Chris Nicholl who was hugely influential on and off the field, went to Southampton. My guess is that Booth thought he had done as much as he could and had enough of the hassle. Dave actually went to a non-football property venture to start with, came back when that fell through and tried a comeback at Darlington before going off to various places in India and the Far East.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
oldun
October 25, 2016, 6:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
If all Stuart does is to train players how to take and score from corners and free kicks he will have done us a massive favour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Watkiss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.