Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shortlist of 6
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 143 Guests

Shortlist of 6

This thread currently has 61,375 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Chrisblor
October 24, 2016, 3:08pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from GrimRob
I really hope they don't rush into an appointment without due consideration and properly advertising the post. You never know who is going to apply. There are only about 100 professional football clubs in England. It's still one of the top football jobs in the country, even if we don't have a proper training pitch and a conditioning coach. Loads of ex-footballers would love to come here and it's quite rare to come to somewhere where the team are in a healthy position in the table when you get here.

To have a shortlist at this stage seems far too soon to me.

Agree fully with this. I have no problem with the club having an idea of who is out there and who they could potentially get, but they should still give candidates a few days to get their applications in. You never know what sort of up and coming hotshot coach / manager might stick their name in out of leftfield.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 357
itsnotcoditshaddock
October 24, 2016, 3:09pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Interested to know who puts the shortlist together, whether it's just Fenty or includes all board members (including the Trust rep?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 357
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 3:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

I remember Fenty saying there was "one outstanding candidate" before appointing Buckley III. He wasn't outstanding at the time at all, he had been out of work for a couple of years.He could still talk the talk which was what persuaded the board no doubt, but he had lost it as a manager even then. Had they spoken to more people they might not have made that mistake.

Fair enough but it's all a gamble anyway. Some managers click at a club and some don't. The new manager may be met with widespread approval and bomb (Mike Newell) or be roundly slated as the cheap option only to become a club legend like the aforementioned Buckley.

I bet Adkins appointment at Scunny was met with more than raised eyebrows at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 357
Garth
October 24, 2016, 3:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Had we not have been promoted PH would have been toast, probably some sort of fwd planning might have been carried out then on prospective targets to take his job, the favourites might have found employment since then but thats no problem-----ask Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 357
GrimRob
October 24, 2016, 3:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Fair enough but it's all a gamble anyway. Some managers click at a club and some don't. The new manager may be met with widespread approval and bomb (Mike Newell) or be roundly slated as the cheap option only to become a club legend like the aforementioned Buckley.

I bet Adkins appointment at Scunny was met with more than raised eyebrows at the time.

Adkins had a good spell as caretaker, if I recall, and more or less gave the Scunny board no choice. I just don't want us to appoint an "outstanding candidate" from the small bubble of players and staff who have been at this club before and are known to the board. There's a much wider world out there and we could pull (say) a really big name looking for a first step on the management ladder, or someone wanting a route back in the game who wouldn't mind a big pay cut.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 357
gb
October 24, 2016, 3:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +36
Let's be honest, the last time there was excitement around a new manager was Newel look how that turned out?! We need to make sure we find someone who gives us stability and won't come in wanting to upset the apple cart too much. Madkins is my preferred choice he's been there done it at different levels bit surely out of our reach. Would I except someone without any experience, why not if they have the game pedigree? Hasslebank didn't do too bad at Burton after all.
One thing for sure we shouldn't be looking at anyone within the club currently and/or been involved in the past. The board are clearly willing to give someone their chance as they did with Hurst and us fans need to support whoever it

Ps if fat boy Evans gets the job I will not be happy but I will give the scum bag the chance to get this team firing (unfortunately he's done it . many of times in the past but I know a couple of lads who have played for him and couldn't stand the bloke)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 357
horsforthmariner
October 24, 2016, 3:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
A sensible forward looking business often has contingency plans for the possibility of losing a key member of staff, with a potential shortlist of replacements.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 357
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 3:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

Adkins had a good spell as caretaker, if I recall, and more or less gave the Scunny board no choice. I just don't want us to appoint an "outstanding candidate" from the small bubble of players and staff who have been at this club before and are known to the board. There's a much wider world out there and we could pull (say) a really big name looking for a first step on the management ladder, or someone wanting a route back in the game who wouldn't mind a big pay cut.

Whose saying the candidates are from from a small bubble of players and staff known to the board? We have no idea who they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 357
Mighty_Mariner
October 24, 2016, 3:24pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Surprised nobody had mentioned Slade yet!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 357
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 24, 2016, 3:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Surprised nobody had mentioned Slade yet!

Your right soon be Christmas and we can be hanging our stockings, Or LJL, on the wall!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 357
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shortlist of 6

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.