6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 24, 2016, 10:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
You could really do with Golly or Grimrob lobbing in a load of stats but by and large he was a very successful Manager in terms of final league positions etc albeit at our lowest ever level of football. I for one thought him a very good Manager in terms of getting results consistently especially away from home but the football was often pretty poor to watch and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down.PH gave me one of my best ever moments following Town with the 3-1 win over FGR and lets not forget the Scunny,Hudds FA Cup games that gave us back a bit of pride before our return. The pluses outweighed the minuses overall and though I was never a massive fan personally I would not rule out a return at some point I never thought Town would get relegated with PH at the helm because of his style and he looks to have a mammoth job on at Shrewsbury I will watch that story with interest.Good luck Paul.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
October 24, 2016, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,933
Gold Stars: 505
thank You paul, you gave me my best day as a town fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2016, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from 1mickylyons
You could really do with Golly or Grimrob lobbing in a load of stats but by and large he was a very successful Manager in terms of final league positions etc albeit at our lowest ever level of football. I for one thought him a very good Manager in terms of getting results consistently especially away from home but the football was often pretty poor to watch and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down.PH gave me one of my best ever moments following Town with the 3-1 win over FGR and lets not forget the Scunny,Hudds FA Cup games that gave us back a bit of pride before our return. The pluses outweighed the minuses overall and though I was never a massive fan personally I would not rule out a return at some point I never thought Town would get relegated with PH at the helm because of his style and he looks to have a mammoth job on at Shrewsbury I will watch that story with interest.Good luck Paul.UTM

Well I would. The way Saturday was handled for a start, cowardly putting Doig up for interview. Spoiltgate, the cupping of the ear, general comments regarding the fans over an extended period. No, he's shown himself to have little respect for those who spend heavily on GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
jimgtfc
October 24, 2016, 10:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 38
Nothing but thanks and good wishes will come from me. I've criticised him in the past, but the bottom line is that he got us out of that hell hole of a league and with a bit more luck it could have happened 12 months earlier.

He leaves the club in a much better state than when he arrived, can you really ask for much more from a manager?

Thanks Paul, all the best.

Up the mariners!!!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
Fat Cobra
October 24, 2016, 10:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
5 years I wish to forget, fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
lancspontooner
October 24, 2016, 10:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
The PH years. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. No forget the best of times that belongs to Lawrie Mac, Alan Buckley, Dave Booth.. Actually thinking about it he hardly makes my top 5 GTFC managers - maybe it was just the worst of times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
Vance Warner
October 24, 2016, 10:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Thanks Paul for all of your hard work, thanks for maintaining your dignity in the face of some ridiculous criticism,  thanks for stopping the rot which had been going on far too long, thanks for giving us a team to be proud of again, thanks for making lots of posters on here look very stupid last season but most of all thanks for getting us back where we belong.  Good luck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
forza ivano
October 24, 2016, 10:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,108
Gold Stars: 265
It was never a love affair, he didn't like our moaning and we didn't like him being a yorkie and his percentage football. He's done well for himself and well for us. Hopefully we look back and say that he left at exactly the right time. Even if he fails at shrews he will be the number one pick for any ambitious conference side, so for him, his future is assured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 10:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
I would say he is a good, rather than very good manager. All his promotions have been via the risky route of the play offs and that reflects his cautious, defensive approach to the game. He has however got a few promotions under his belt, however they were achieved, so kudos for that. There is nothing wrong with his approach per se, but i like a manger who is more attack minded personally. I think he is quietly ruthless and doesn't much care about entertaining the paying public. It's all about results to him; again some would argue that is no bad thing, but football should be a pleasure, not a chore to watch. He may well feel that he can crack the defensive/offensive conundrum he never fully mastered here with the bigger budget and better players he will get at Shrewbury, but time will tell. I feel he never fully bonded with the fans here but some of that was down to the frustration of him seemingly taking an age to get us promoted after flirting with the play offs for 4 seasons before cracking it. He may well become a very good manager in time, he may not.

I should be more bothered by his departure, but i'm not and i wish him well but i also think that it's a strange, sideways move. He probably offers the stability that the Shrews are looking for at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
OllieGTFC
October 24, 2016, 10:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
It makes me wonder he was only here to get us promoted and then intercourse us off

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The PH years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.