6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 24, 2016, 10:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
You could really do with Golly or Grimrob lobbing in a load of stats but by and large he was a very successful Manager in terms of final league positions etc albeit at our lowest ever level of football. I for one thought him a very good Manager in terms of getting results consistently especially away from home but the football was often pretty poor to watch and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down.PH gave me one of my best ever moments following Town with the 3-1 win over FGR and lets not forget the Scunny,Hudds FA Cup games that gave us back a bit of pride before our return. The pluses outweighed the minuses overall and though I was never a massive fan personally I would not rule out a return at some point I never thought Town would get relegated with PH at the helm because of his style and he looks to have a mammoth job on at Shrewsbury I will watch that story with interest.Good luck Paul.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
October 24, 2016, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
thank You paul, you gave me my best day as a town fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2016, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 1mickylyons
You could really do with Golly or Grimrob lobbing in a load of stats but by and large he was a very successful Manager in terms of final league positions etc albeit at our lowest ever level of football. I for one thought him a very good Manager in terms of getting results consistently especially away from home but the football was often pretty poor to watch and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down.PH gave me one of my best ever moments following Town with the 3-1 win over FGR and lets not forget the Scunny,Hudds FA Cup games that gave us back a bit of pride before our return. The pluses outweighed the minuses overall and though I was never a massive fan personally I would not rule out a return at some point I never thought Town would get relegated with PH at the helm because of his style and he looks to have a mammoth job on at Shrewsbury I will watch that story with interest.Good luck Paul.UTM

Well I would. The way Saturday was handled for a start, cowardly putting Doig up for interview. Spoiltgate, the cupping of the ear, general comments regarding the fans over an extended period. No, he's shown himself to have little respect for those who spend heavily on GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
jimgtfc
October 24, 2016, 10:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,075
Gold Stars: 44
Nothing but thanks and good wishes will come from me. I've criticised him in the past, but the bottom line is that he got us out of that hell hole of a league and with a bit more luck it could have happened 12 months earlier.

He leaves the club in a much better state than when he arrived, can you really ask for much more from a manager?

Thanks Paul, all the best.

Up the mariners!!!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
Fat Cobra
October 24, 2016, 10:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
5 years I wish to forget, fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
lancspontooner
October 24, 2016, 10:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
The PH years. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. No forget the best of times that belongs to Lawrie Mac, Alan Buckley, Dave Booth.. Actually thinking about it he hardly makes my top 5 GTFC managers - maybe it was just the worst of times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
Vance Warner
October 24, 2016, 10:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 102
Thanks Paul for all of your hard work, thanks for maintaining your dignity in the face of some ridiculous criticism,  thanks for stopping the rot which had been going on far too long, thanks for giving us a team to be proud of again, thanks for making lots of posters on here look very stupid last season but most of all thanks for getting us back where we belong.  Good luck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
forza ivano
October 24, 2016, 10:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
It was never a love affair, he didn't like our moaning and we didn't like him being a yorkie and his percentage football. He's done well for himself and well for us. Hopefully we look back and say that he left at exactly the right time. Even if he fails at shrews he will be the number one pick for any ambitious conference side, so for him, his future is assured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 10:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I would say he is a good, rather than very good manager. All his promotions have been via the risky route of the play offs and that reflects his cautious, defensive approach to the game. He has however got a few promotions under his belt, however they were achieved, so kudos for that. There is nothing wrong with his approach per se, but i like a manger who is more attack minded personally. I think he is quietly ruthless and doesn't much care about entertaining the paying public. It's all about results to him; again some would argue that is no bad thing, but football should be a pleasure, not a chore to watch. He may well feel that he can crack the defensive/offensive conundrum he never fully mastered here with the bigger budget and better players he will get at Shrewbury, but time will tell. I feel he never fully bonded with the fans here but some of that was down to the frustration of him seemingly taking an age to get us promoted after flirting with the play offs for 4 seasons before cracking it. He may well become a very good manager in time, he may not.

I should be more bothered by his departure, but i'm not and i wish him well but i also think that it's a strange, sideways move. He probably offers the stability that the Shrews are looking for at the moment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
OllieGTFC
October 24, 2016, 10:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
It makes me wonder he was only here to get us promoted and then intercourse us off

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
"and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down"

Ironic Micky, that Hursts final moments with this club was a dismal defeat to Chelts, Town simply incapable of of changing a 0-1 half time score.
Awaiting for his final statement; will he blame Fenty and the alleged lack of training facilities? Or revert to type and blame the minority of over-zealous Town fans. Again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
Bigdog
October 24, 2016, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
A five year long slow frustrating and painful chieftain with a short and out of the blue happy ending..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
grimsby pete
October 24, 2016, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
He certainly divided the fans some loved him some hated him.

A lot more like me could not really put our full support behind him ,

At the end of the day I think its a good job he has gone,

It was at the right time, He has time to turn Shrewsbury round and our new manager has time to take us up.

I wonder if he will move to Shrewsbury or have an even longer commute.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
Perkins
October 24, 2016, 11:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Hurst typifies the "Marmite Manager", some loved him, some hated him, others tolerated him. We have had managers we loved, McMenemy, Buckley, (except for his last term), and we have had them we hated, Lyons, Newell etc, but Hurst has it all rolled into one. Personally i'm not bothered either way, all managers move on at some point, and it may be the right time for him to go. He hasn't really endeared himself to the fans with some of his comments but then he's only human and i doubt if some of the fans comments towards him have endeared them to him.
He got us out of the Conference (eventually) but who knows if a different manager would have got us out sooner, we will never know. Some of his team selections and game plans have left us bewildered at times, and every once in a while he has been credited as a genius for turning a game around.
Has he been lucky? or has he been a good manager? he certainly has an eye for a good player, but he has certainly brought in some bummers during the last few years, but only time will tell. Dragging Shrewsbury out of the mire will probably prove how capable a manager he really is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
Vance Warner
October 24, 2016, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 102
Don't forget Buckley was disliked by many even in his first spell and he took a lot of criticism for bad PR. I don't think any manager will be able to get full backing from sections of our 'support'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 11:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
Don't forget Buckley was disliked by many even in his first spell and he took a lot of criticism for bad PR. I don't think any manager will be able to get full backing from sections of our 'support'

True, and yet even after he walked from us to WBA he left relationships with the club at a good enough level that he came back, and rebuilt us once again.
Hurst and Doig have acted in an underhand manner, there'll be no coming back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
PPMariner
October 24, 2016, 11:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Not a general comment on his tenure but I just wanted to elaborate further on what Perkins began with...this 'eye for a player'.

Omar Bogle is the most readily championed example of this yet anyone (literally anyone) who follows football, takes an interest in strikers or even just played Champ Manager in the 90s would've taken a punt on a guy who's popping in a goal a game or better in lower leagues. Much the same as when Vardy and Austin were brought up a level or two. When they're young, to boot...that's not an eye for a player, it is plain old common sense!

Rather than one or two headliners....surely someone's 'eye for a player' is more accurately represented by the ability to repeatedly bring in loan strikers who fail to contribute much at all, season after season after season? The very same 'eye' then playing them, incessantly, despite these flaws?

Don't get me wrong, we've had several players during his time that I've been hugely impressed by, it's just there has been a healthy amount of dross, too. It's a numbers game and for some, I'm not sure he'd even be on the 'credit' side if we amassed a list of every player brought in...

Good 'eye for a player'? Really?

UTM

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
horsforthmariner
October 24, 2016, 11:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Overall  very good manager. He organised us well, got us in the play offs 4 years in a row and built a squad for season that may do it again. He spotted some cracking players and eventually got us promoted. He was ruthless when he needed to be and clearly worked incredibly hard. Overall he leaves the club in a much stronger place than when he joined.

Having said that he was often tactically inept and stubborn to the point of frustration. He fell out with a lot of good players and was needlessly confrontationally with the fans.

Second best manager in my time watching town 1. Buckley, 2 Hurst, 3 Slade 4 Lawrence 5. Laws 6. Groves 7. Swain 8.Rodger 9. Woods 10. Laws. 11.Newell.

Overall though I wish him well and I reckon he will be a tough act to follow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
arryarryarry
October 24, 2016, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from PPMariner
Not a general comment on his tenure but I just wanted to elaborate further on what Perkins began with...this 'eye for a player'.

Omar Bogle is the most readily championed example of this yet anyone (literally anyone) who follows football, takes an interest in strikers or even just played Champ Manager in the 90s would've taken a punt on a guy who's popping in a goal a game or better in lower leagues. Much the same as when Vardy and Austin were brought up a level or two. When they're young, to boot...that's not an eye for a player, it is plain old common sense!

Rather than one or two headliners....surely someone's 'eye for a player' is more accurately represented by the ability to repeatedly bring in loan strikers who fail to contribute much at all, season after season after season? The very same 'eye' then playing them, incessantly, despite these flaws?

Don't get me wrong, we've had several players during his time that I've been hugely impressed by, it's just there has been a healthy amount of dross, too. It's a numbers game and for some, I'm not sure he'd even be on the 'credit' side if we amassed a list of every player brought in...

Good 'eye for a player'? Really?

UTM

Couldn't agree more, I was just about to post something similar.

I'm sure many on here will know I have never been his biggest fan but he did in the end get us promoted and I'm thankful for that, although I felt his attitude to some games especially at home bigging up the smaller sides was counter productive and because we did quite poorly against some of these sides was the reason we didn't get promoted earlier.

I don't bear the guy any ill will and wish him the best in his new role, but am I that bothered he has gone, no not really.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 11:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Vance Warner

Yeah, but when your team is taking apart the opposition with sexy flowing football, no one gave a sh1te.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
Caesar
October 24, 2016, 11:57am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Oh Paul Hurst, I feel this might be a long and rambling post!

He joined us at our lowest ebb he leaves us in a much stronger position.  That is certainly partly down to his hard work and he should be thanked and fondly rememberd for tha.  He has been in charge for some of my very favourite Town games ever, most obviously Wembley but there have been many others that are memorable, Barnet away, Eastliegh playoffs home and away, The Rovers playoff final (as heartbreaking as that was the performance gave us renewed hope and led of course to OP) FGR away Braintree away and Morecambe at home this year which was one of my favourite days ever as a Town fan to see us in the League again at a sunny and full BP.  

So why am I dissapointed and not devestated? I keep asking myself that question and I can only come up with one, while he was a crucial element to our metaphorical rebirth, except for rare instances he was not onside with the fans.  We can go back and forth and argue how fans got on his back etc. and that is certainly true, but Hurst always seemed to enjoy seeing himself as against the fans rather than with us.  A couple of years ago when the shop had a penalty in the last minute and he heard some people moan and he focused on that suggesting the fans didn't deserve to see the penalty scored.  Accusations that he didn't care are definately wide of the mark, his response to losing the Rovers playoff game, winning at Eastliegh last year and Luton this show that it means a lot more to him than it sometimes appears.  But for all those moments there are things that stick in our minds, him suggesting fans are spoilt after we pump £110,000 into his playing budget, something I have not seen other fans do on anywhere near that scale.  His reaction to winning the playoff final being to cup his ears towards the crowd (the same group that pumped in  all that money for him).  No running to celebrate with the fans ala Darrell Clarke and looking to build with them ,rather a sneer that he had proven us wrong.  For all his references to our great travelling support they often felt begrudging acceptance rather than an enthusiastic rapport.  Now he leaves us when they was certainly far less moaning by any minority since we are happy to plod along enjoying league football again and are rather excited about being so close to the playoffs.  He doesn't say anything post match after Cheltenham allowing the rumours to continue and the whole fuss to overshadow what could of been a great opportunity to show how much we have improved in a year.  Again this leaves a slight bitter taste.

With a slightly different attitude I feel he could, even going now, been a proper legend and loved by us fans.  Instead I think the whole attitude means our relationship is one of respect rather than love.  I was devestated when Sir Alan left, I am not now.  So I don't wish any harm to Hurst, and somewhat begrudgingly wish him luck, although I cannot say I want Shrewsbury to stay up this year for example.  Thanks for everything Paul but on we go!

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
Maringer
October 24, 2016, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
The problem with loan strikers is that they generally aren't playing for their own clubs for a good reason. On rare occasions it works out (Mendonca and Woods, for example), but generally they are on a hiding to nothing. The Jackson/Tuton "get some experience" signings are all well and good, but generally are a bit of a punt and neither has worked out for us yet. Not to mention Vose who is a bit hit or miss.

Failing to get a full complement of strikers at the start of the season has been Hurst's major failing. Unfortunately, whoever replaces him will be trying to sign strikers in the transfer window who aren't wanted by their current clubs - again, usually for a good reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Excellent post Mr Caesar.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
GrimRob
October 24, 2016, 12:05pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Hats off to him really. He's never been sacked. He plays a fairly cautious game but it keeps him in a job and has attracted the attention of other clubs so he gradually rises up the ladder. It remains to be seen how high he can go. But his approach certainly makes sense in terms of pursuing his own career. More flamboyant managers play a riskier game and cycle through jobs much more rapidly,

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 54
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 12:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
The problem with loan strikers is that they generally aren't playing for their own clubs for a good reason. On rare occasions it works out (Mendonca and Woods, for example), but generally they are on a hiding to nothing. The Jackson/Tuton "get some experience" signings are all well and good, but generally are a bit of a punt and neither has worked out for us yet. Not to mention Vose who is a bit hit or miss.

Failing to get a full complement of strikers at the start of the season has been Hurst's major failing. Unfortunately, whoever replaces him will be trying to sign strikers in the transfer window who aren't wanted by their current clubs - again, usually for a good reason.

Well all the strikers are contracted to at least the end of the season, so the new manager is stuck with them. Similarly, the midfield is made up mainly of players on 2 year deals, with Tombola having three years. I don't think there is going to be much wriggle room for the new chap unless the board chuck more money into the budget in January. Comley Collins and Henderson are the only players whose terms end in Jan and i can't imagine that will free up much money. The new man will have to work mostly with what he has.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
MeanwoodMariner
October 24, 2016, 12:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I was always a Hurst fan. I felt he was incredibly consistent, learning all the time and I really felt he had the potential to take this club up another division or even two. This season felt like a fresh start, new team built, pressure off and my overriding feeling is surprise that he would consider Shrewsbury as a better bet right now.

There are of course other people who could potential do just as well or even better, but there are more that would probably be worse. While I'm not panicking, I don't share the feeling some have that things are bound to get more exciting on the BP pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
moosey_club
October 24, 2016, 12:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,208
Gold Stars: 224
Firstly -  thank you PH for several things which should never be under estimated by anyone on this board or who calls themselves a Town fan;
We were rotten to the core when he (and his former partner ) came to the club, a negative air and readily defeated attitude from a gradual 10 yr decline and some of the worst players ever assembled in the name of GTFC in the seasons prior to their tenure.  

He has turned that around, we have a skipper who only this week was interviewed stating he is a fan of the club, has got a 3 fish tattoo and loves the team spirit and the whole place. Our away support in particular is now amazing, there is a new wave of Town fans who have tasted success, who have only seen us get better or even imagine this....fans that have only seen us win promotion !!
We as supporters are now expecting relative success and "moaning" last week even though we sat 6th in League 2.

That to me we should respect as an indication of his achievement.

All the ups and downs in between dont matter now. He has left us in a much better place than he found us, higher league, higher expectations, better players  and for a manager and a club that is a succesful arrangement.  

On a personal level i dont like his tactics, his defensive minded approach, his stubborness, his use of yorkshire grammar, his unfathomable substitutions and non use of squad players so while not gutted "he" has gone his successor certainly has an act to follow.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
essexexile
October 24, 2016, 12:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
Funny how Cheltenham seem to be around when managers want away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
killingholmemariner
October 24, 2016, 12:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -8
He's only gone to Shrewsbury as a stepping stone for rotherham, if he keeps them up the season and Rotherham go down, don't be surprised if he's in his dream job by next Christmas

J99 Upper findus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Kris2
October 24, 2016, 12:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Probably going to hold the record of one of the most under appreciated managers we ever had, was it all great? Well no the years he took charge we were coming off our worst years and a constant rot that saw the club drop out the football league, gone were the lofty heights of a small club punching above it's weight in what is now the championship operating on a small budget in comparison to teams in the same league but bringing in players willing to fight, we'd gone through a long list of mercenaries and people who just didn't care enough and dropped down.

PH and RS at the time took on a club with low morale and fans who had become angry at the disappointment and while RS ran away when the going got tough PH stuck it out through waves of criticism and slowly built the club back up building a team that managed to finally escape non league, was it the highlight of football seen by the fans? Well no but it got the job done and ended the lowest point in the clubs recent history.

People move on, perhaps once he got the playoffs win monkey off his back he'd made his peace with the club so when an offer came along for a new challenge and presumably a better contract maybe he just felt it was time for a change and maybe a change for GTFC will be good too bringing somebody on board with new ideas as we are building a new team trying to challenge in this league I guess it's not the worst time to change manager still time to assess things ahead of January to see what is needed.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
Golden fox
October 24, 2016, 3:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +339
Looking at that Shrewsbury squad ( a mish-mash of loan signings and journeymen ) he's got a hell of a job on ! Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 24, 2016, 5:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
H is a decent manager at non league level where to be honest there are a lot of rank amateurs his ability alongside the fact we are "full time" is why he got us up. Well done to him he deserves recognition for that as it was a really tough task.

What is apparent and will be missed........

- Players in general respect him
- He has a good work ethic and expects that of others
- He looks like he wants to better himself, not only with this move but also with gaining his A Licence in 2013.
- He can spot raw talent and has generally used the transfer/loan market well.
- Sticking with the likes of Lenny when he (Lenny) was getting stock from a minority of fans.
- Being able to win away  
- If you don't conform you get kicked out!

What I won't miss........

- Up until recently he only has a plan A at home
- No changes before 70 minutes despite the score line
- Picking round pegs in square holes, Vose is not a wide player FFS!!!    
- Being too loyal to certain players e.g. Monkhouse,Kerr and Summefield spring to mind in recent years.
- Rearing good prospects like Dale Southwell, Paul Walker, Kane Winfarrah, Josh Sunter, Harry Clifton and Josh    
  Venney but not being brave enough to trust them........
- Making no effort whatsoever even before the "spoilt" comments to engage with the fans.
- Media interviews where he "bigs up" the opposition and sits on the fence with any straight questions.
- If you don't conform you get kicked out (I know it's been detailed above but I am not sure if that's a good thing or  
  not)  

Overall his time with the club will quite rightly so be deemed a success and that's fair. There are bigger tests ahead for him as he will need to make an impact in his new job very quickly...........all being well he will have learned from his mistakes.........If the worst came to the worst a number of National League clubs would take him in an instant.

Good luck Paul you did the job you where brought in to do, that's all I can say.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
chaos33
October 24, 2016, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,869
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Golden fox
Looking at that Shrewsbury squad ( a mish-mash of loan signings and journeymen ) he's got a hell of a job on ! Fox

Yeah I had a look at their squad earlier and thought much the same. Things might get better there after January when he's able to exert some of his own influence on who plays for him, but they are in for a torrid 10 games or so, with some very tough opposition, so they better hope that they're not well adrift by the new year. Arsed really. His bed is made and he has to lie in it.

Some good balanced posts on this thread. Broadly agree with Moosey and Ginny I think. I would probably have kinder thoughts more to the fore in the mix had these last few days not panned out the way they have -  especially the performance and subsequent post match disgrace on Saturday.

I think Hurst was sick of us in many respects and the feeling was mutual to some extent. Best all round that he goes in that sense. The frustration and, I suppose, hurt lies in the way all parties have made this a pretty tawdry affair, and left a bad taste in the mouth.

Things change, and change fast. A new manager will soon be installed, and hence a fresh opportunity. We've got a big fan base, great potential, a decent squad and a promising league position. I hope it galvanises us and reminds us that we are what's permanent and loyal about GTFC. A defiant UTFM is my message to the departed and to the remainers.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Zmariner
October 25, 2016, 12:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
I have been a supporter of Hurst over the years , he is competent. I always watch the Mariners Player interviews and since the end of last season I have liked him less and less and I am very pleased that he is gone. Best for the club and him. He had a play off budget and achieved this. Our promotion was destiny as I thought at the back end of last season we were rubbish and we got away with it. His attitude to the fans was rotten, even when you are mad with things sometimes you keep your mouth shut, on his basis I never saw him as very bright. His departure was bitter and was obviously how he felt. A smarter guy could have left on better terms. I am a season ticket holder and only see the home games this season and so I have seen a lot of defeats,Away form has been good or we would be really struggllng. A decent appointment should liven us. I think he has a 50:50 at Shrewsbury, as long as their fans are Ok with booting the ball into the corners they will be fine. He could improve though as he is competent. I suspect Shrewsbury will struggle but we will see. A lot of us will watch with interest, We will be fine and maybe a new manager could find a striker for us. Onwards and upwards UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
Kris2
October 25, 2016, 2:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Zmariner
I suspect Shrewsbury will struggle but we will see. A lot of us will watch with interest, We will be fine and maybe a new manager could find a striker for us.  

I don't give a toss what Shrewsbury are doing, really don't want to read all the inevitable posts about every single result for every game they play either never seen a point in stalking ex players/managers to find out how good or bad they are doing.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Mrs Doyle
October 25, 2016, 4:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I will take a interest because he says they have a great ground and top training facility's one of the reasons he probably left here after moaning about wanting a personal trainer. Lets see what he can do with  every thing at is disposal he will feel like he's been SPOILT.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Mrs Doyle
October 25, 2016, 4:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thank you for getting us back in the league but his constant snipes/grudges with the fans and the media (John Tondeur) were becoming more and more boring.

After five and half years of listening to that I now feel like the club as had a good excrement time to move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
scoregasm
October 25, 2016, 5:10am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +148
I was one of the people calling for his head last season and really pleased he has gone, he over stayed his welcome. Yes his team got us back up to where we wanted to be, I think it was more through good luck than judgement. I don't care who takes over as long as he/she shows some passion, if we get another clown who stands at the side of the pitch with folded hands again god help us. We need a manager who is not scared to give the players some stick if needed, a manager who has a plan B, C and D if needed, a manager who doesn't put square pegs into round holes, a manager who tells it like it is in their interviews, a manager who the fans can relate to who doesn't slag them off. Who ever takes over the chances are they will not know how passionate Grimsby fans are home and especially away from B.P.  I am sure we will back the new manager 100% as long as he shows us the same commitment. Come John find us that manager who will take us back to the dizzy heights of the championship and dream of that one step further. It doesn't seem that long ago since we beat Bournemouth at Wembley, they have lived and are living the dream so why can't we.        
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
Civvy at last
October 25, 2016, 6:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,202
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Kris2

I don't give a toss what Shrewsbury are doing, really don't want to read all the inevitable posts about every single result for every game they play either never seen a point in stalking ex players/managers to find out how good or bad they are doing.

Should be quite easy to achieve Kris.
When you see a thread titled 'I see Shrews lost'   or 'Hurst is doing well'  or anything like that - Don't open it 😉

I for one will have a look at Shrewsbrys next few results just out of interest, as I suspect will most on here.  Hurst was a big part of Town and it will (for some) be interesting to see how he gets on.  If you had a partner for 5 years and they left you for someone else, would you not be curious about their new partner???

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Cloudy
October 25, 2016, 7:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well I would. The way Saturday was handled for a start, cowardly putting Doig up for interview. Spoiltgate, the cupping of the ear, general comments regarding the fans over an extended period. No, he's shown himself to have little respect for those who spend heavily on GTFC.

For me, across all walks of life, respect works both ways, and many fans and posters on here showed PH scant respect.

As I said respect is a two way street.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
Eastendmariner
October 25, 2016, 8:19pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
I don't think people can really compre Buckley to hurst Alan totally different league I have to say Buckleys football was the most exceptional and perfect it's about the team not the man.if people are honest with themselves Do you think hurst would of lasted at that time at league level ?? . Hurst is due credit for getting promotion but we have to understand  it can still unravel if the clubs is not careful I get the feeling he's left us a ". Dear john letter " on the mantelpiece

Hurst is in control of his future The club isn't. UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
pontoonlew
October 25, 2016, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
I for one won't lose much sleep over his departure. In his tenure here he achieved the bare minimum expected of him. His tactical choices were bewildering at best and he slagged off fans on a regular basis. Personally I think we should've gone up way before we did and let's face it, we were pretty poor for the most part last year. Not only that but if Monkhouse hadn't got injured in the play-offs, Hurst would be 6 Months into his stint at Sincil Bank right now.

He did 'the job' for us. But never did he excite me or ever endear himself as a bloke you really wanted it to work for no matter what.

I don't even see the 'eye for a player' people forget how much shite walked through the door in his time here. For every Amond there were 3 Hobans.

I'm personally really excited about the future and what it holds, he's left us in a better place than he joined which he deserves credit for but I won't miss going 1-0 down and knowing you're not coming back from it, not one bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
Eastendmariner
October 25, 2016, 9:15pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Pontoon lew. Sums it up really achieved the bare minimum  I have to admit I thought it was out of the clubs reach but we the fans played a massive part in it The Passion The loyalty  The belief I wonder if PH realises this and will ever acknowledge it I hope I'm not wrong I have 79-80 feeling about this season with the right man in charge of course UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
marinernige
October 25, 2016, 9:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Who's to say a different manager wouldn't have got us out the non league quickie , PH very lucky to get so many chances .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Personally think it's incumbent on whoever is on the selection panel for the new manager to appoint someone with a track record of getting the best out of players rather than gambling on the club's league status. To me, that means Steve Evans or Nigel Adkins - the financial ramifications of anything other than improvement are not worth contemplating. If this means finding an extra £50k a year or even £100k a year then do it because going back to where we were would cost a hell of a lot more.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Cloudy
October 25, 2016, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Personally think it's incumbent on whoever is on the selection panel for the new manager to appoint someone with a track record of getting the best out of players rather than gambling on the club's league status. To me, that means Steve Evans or Nigel Adkins - the financial ramifications of anything other than improvement are not worth contemplating. If this means finding an extra £50k a year or even £100k a year then do it because going back to where we were would cost a hell of a lot more.

What if we spend an extra £50/100/200k pa and get relegated.

Easy to gamble with somebody else's money
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What if we spend an extra £50/100/200k pa and get relegated.

Easy to gamble with somebody else's money

Take your point but imagine the flak if they take a cheapskate option and it happens.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Maringer
October 25, 2016, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd imagine that both Evans and Adkins especially have had plenty of pay days in recent seasons and the thought that an extra £50K would attract of them is a bit naive. I'd tend to doubt an extra £100K would make a great deal of difference either. Adkins would have got a big payout after Southampton surprisingly sacked him and he'll have done OK out of Reading and T'Blades as well. You can be sure that Evans will have done OK out of Leeds, one way or another.

The idea that either could be tempted by anything we could offer financially seems hopeful to say the least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2016, 1:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

Should be quite easy to achieve Kris.
When you see a thread titled 'I see Shrews lost'   or 'Hurst is doing well'  or anything like that - Don't open it 😉

I for one will have a look at Shrewsbrys next few results just out of interest, as I suspect will most on here.  Hurst was a big part of Town and it will (for some) be interesting to see how he gets on.  If you had a partner for 5 years and they left you for someone else, would you not be curious about their new partner???

I'd be fuming if she left me for a bloke who was probably a bit worse looking than me with a slightly better current income.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2016, 1:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm pretty much with Pontoon Lew on this. He came (leaving a bad taste in the mouth at Boston). He did his job. Made some good choices. Made some bad choices. Had a bit of bad luck. Had some good luck. Got some stick. Gave it back. He left leaving a bit of a bad taste in our mouths.

I wonder how much he played in giving our club back to us. He certainly brought back the work ethic. But I'd say a lot of getting our club back was down to the spontaneous efforts from those fans who made away days fun again (helps winning more of course). At times those youngsters (and some oldies!) kept the atmosphere going in the face of some dour football. I'm sure he played a role in giving the club back, but I think a lot of it was the fans grabbing it back.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Garth
October 26, 2016, 11:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I'm pretty much with Pontoon Lew on this. He came (leaving a bad taste in the mouth at Boston). He did his job. Made some good choices. Made some bad choices. Had a bit of bad luck. Had some good luck. Got some stick. Gave it back. He left leaving a bit of a bad taste in our mouths.

I wonder how much he played in giving our club back to us. He certainly brought back the work ethic. But I'd say a lot of getting our club back was down to the spontaneous efforts from those fans who made away days fun again (helps winning more of course). At times those youngsters (and some oldies!) kept the atmosphere going in the face of some dour football. I'm sure he played a role in giving the club back, but I think a lot of it was the fans grabbing it back.

Pretty much sums it up for me, did not want him to upset the applecart but now he has we move on, I`m certainly not going to lose any sleep over him and sniffer, but a little angry regarding the way he went, would never want him back again -------------as if
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
RoboCod
October 26, 2016, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

If you had a partner for 5 years and they left you for someone else, would you not be curious about their new partner???

Yes, especially if he had allegedly better 'equipment'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
October 26, 2016, 12:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
He came (leaving a bad taste in the mouth at Boston).

Reply: 52 - 54
Golden fox
October 26, 2016, 12:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +339
Let's be honest Paul Hursts tenure at town can/will be judged after the next six months ... his stick may rise or fall . It could be a case of 'be careful what you wished for ' or simply 'thanks but things got better after you left ' .... wait and see . Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Garth
October 26, 2016, 1:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Golden fox
Let's be honest Paul Hursts tenure at town can/will be judged after the next six months ... his stick may rise or fall . It could be a case of 'be careful what you wished for ' or simply 'thanks but things got better after you left ' .... wait and see . Fox

You can`t control the uncontrolables
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The PH years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.