Eastendmariner
October 25, 2016, 8:19pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
I don't think people can really compre Buckley to hurst Alan totally different league I have to say Buckleys football was the most exceptional and perfect it's about the team not the man.if people are honest with themselves Do you think hurst would of lasted at that time at league level ?? . Hurst is due credit for getting promotion but we have to understand  it can still unravel if the clubs is not careful I get the feeling he's left us a ". Dear john letter " on the mantelpiece

Hurst is in control of his future The club isn't. UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
pontoonlew
October 25, 2016, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
I for one won't lose much sleep over his departure. In his tenure here he achieved the bare minimum expected of him. His tactical choices were bewildering at best and he slagged off fans on a regular basis. Personally I think we should've gone up way before we did and let's face it, we were pretty poor for the most part last year. Not only that but if Monkhouse hadn't got injured in the play-offs, Hurst would be 6 Months into his stint at Sincil Bank right now.

He did 'the job' for us. But never did he excite me or ever endear himself as a bloke you really wanted it to work for no matter what.

I don't even see the 'eye for a player' people forget how much shite walked through the door in his time here. For every Amond there were 3 Hobans.

I'm personally really excited about the future and what it holds, he's left us in a better place than he joined which he deserves credit for but I won't miss going 1-0 down and knowing you're not coming back from it, not one bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
Eastendmariner
October 25, 2016, 9:15pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
Pontoon lew. Sums it up really achieved the bare minimum  I have to admit I thought it was out of the clubs reach but we the fans played a massive part in it The Passion The loyalty  The belief I wonder if PH realises this and will ever acknowledge it I hope I'm not wrong I have 79-80 feeling about this season with the right man in charge of course UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
marinernige
October 25, 2016, 9:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Who's to say a different manager wouldn't have got us out the non league quickie , PH very lucky to get so many chances .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Personally think it's incumbent on whoever is on the selection panel for the new manager to appoint someone with a track record of getting the best out of players rather than gambling on the club's league status. To me, that means Steve Evans or Nigel Adkins - the financial ramifications of anything other than improvement are not worth contemplating. If this means finding an extra £50k a year or even £100k a year then do it because going back to where we were would cost a hell of a lot more.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Cloudy
October 25, 2016, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Personally think it's incumbent on whoever is on the selection panel for the new manager to appoint someone with a track record of getting the best out of players rather than gambling on the club's league status. To me, that means Steve Evans or Nigel Adkins - the financial ramifications of anything other than improvement are not worth contemplating. If this means finding an extra £50k a year or even £100k a year then do it because going back to where we were would cost a hell of a lot more.

What if we spend an extra £50/100/200k pa and get relegated.

Easy to gamble with somebody else's money
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2016, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Cloudy

What if we spend an extra £50/100/200k pa and get relegated.

Easy to gamble with somebody else's money

Take your point but imagine the flak if they take a cheapskate option and it happens.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Maringer
October 25, 2016, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd imagine that both Evans and Adkins especially have had plenty of pay days in recent seasons and the thought that an extra £50K would attract of them is a bit naive. I'd tend to doubt an extra £100K would make a great deal of difference either. Adkins would have got a big payout after Southampton surprisingly sacked him and he'll have done OK out of Reading and T'Blades as well. You can be sure that Evans will have done OK out of Leeds, one way or another.

The idea that either could be tempted by anything we could offer financially seems hopeful to say the least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2016, 1:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

Should be quite easy to achieve Kris.
When you see a thread titled 'I see Shrews lost'   or 'Hurst is doing well'  or anything like that - Don't open it 😉

I for one will have a look at Shrewsbrys next few results just out of interest, as I suspect will most on here.  Hurst was a big part of Town and it will (for some) be interesting to see how he gets on.  If you had a partner for 5 years and they left you for someone else, would you not be curious about their new partner???

I'd be fuming if she left me for a bloke who was probably a bit worse looking than me with a slightly better current income.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2016, 1:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm pretty much with Pontoon Lew on this. He came (leaving a bad taste in the mouth at Boston). He did his job. Made some good choices. Made some bad choices. Had a bit of bad luck. Had some good luck. Got some stick. Gave it back. He left leaving a bit of a bad taste in our mouths.

I wonder how much he played in giving our club back to us. He certainly brought back the work ethic. But I'd say a lot of getting our club back was down to the spontaneous efforts from those fans who made away days fun again (helps winning more of course). At times those youngsters (and some oldies!) kept the atmosphere going in the face of some dour football. I'm sure he played a role in giving the club back, but I think a lot of it was the fans grabbing it back.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The PH years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.