6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
"and we seldom had a plan B if we went a goal down"

Ironic Micky, that Hursts final moments with this club was a dismal defeat to Chelts, Town simply incapable of of changing a 0-1 half time score.
Awaiting for his final statement; will he blame Fenty and the alleged lack of training facilities? Or revert to type and blame the minority of over-zealous Town fans. Again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
Bigdog
October 24, 2016, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
A five year long slow frustrating and painful chieftain with a short and out of the blue happy ending..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
grimsby pete
October 24, 2016, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
He certainly divided the fans some loved him some hated him.

A lot more like me could not really put our full support behind him ,

At the end of the day I think its a good job he has gone,

It was at the right time, He has time to turn Shrewsbury round and our new manager has time to take us up.

I wonder if he will move to Shrewsbury or have an even longer commute.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
Perkins
October 24, 2016, 11:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Hurst typifies the "Marmite Manager", some loved him, some hated him, others tolerated him. We have had managers we loved, McMenemy, Buckley, (except for his last term), and we have had them we hated, Lyons, Newell etc, but Hurst has it all rolled into one. Personally i'm not bothered either way, all managers move on at some point, and it may be the right time for him to go. He hasn't really endeared himself to the fans with some of his comments but then he's only human and i doubt if some of the fans comments towards him have endeared them to him.
He got us out of the Conference (eventually) but who knows if a different manager would have got us out sooner, we will never know. Some of his team selections and game plans have left us bewildered at times, and every once in a while he has been credited as a genius for turning a game around.
Has he been lucky? or has he been a good manager? he certainly has an eye for a good player, but he has certainly brought in some bummers during the last few years, but only time will tell. Dragging Shrewsbury out of the mire will probably prove how capable a manager he really is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
Vance Warner
October 24, 2016, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Don't forget Buckley was disliked by many even in his first spell and he took a lot of criticism for bad PR. I don't think any manager will be able to get full backing from sections of our 'support'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 11:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Vance Warner
Don't forget Buckley was disliked by many even in his first spell and he took a lot of criticism for bad PR. I don't think any manager will be able to get full backing from sections of our 'support'

True, and yet even after he walked from us to WBA he left relationships with the club at a good enough level that he came back, and rebuilt us once again.
Hurst and Doig have acted in an underhand manner, there'll be no coming back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
PPMariner
October 24, 2016, 11:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Not a general comment on his tenure but I just wanted to elaborate further on what Perkins began with...this 'eye for a player'.

Omar Bogle is the most readily championed example of this yet anyone (literally anyone) who follows football, takes an interest in strikers or even just played Champ Manager in the 90s would've taken a punt on a guy who's popping in a goal a game or better in lower leagues. Much the same as when Vardy and Austin were brought up a level or two. When they're young, to boot...that's not an eye for a player, it is plain old common sense!

Rather than one or two headliners....surely someone's 'eye for a player' is more accurately represented by the ability to repeatedly bring in loan strikers who fail to contribute much at all, season after season after season? The very same 'eye' then playing them, incessantly, despite these flaws?

Don't get me wrong, we've had several players during his time that I've been hugely impressed by, it's just there has been a healthy amount of dross, too. It's a numbers game and for some, I'm not sure he'd even be on the 'credit' side if we amassed a list of every player brought in...

Good 'eye for a player'? Really?

UTM

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
horsforthmariner
October 24, 2016, 11:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,596
Gold Stars: 9
Overall  very good manager. He organised us well, got us in the play offs 4 years in a row and built a squad for season that may do it again. He spotted some cracking players and eventually got us promoted. He was ruthless when he needed to be and clearly worked incredibly hard. Overall he leaves the club in a much stronger place than when he joined.

Having said that he was often tactically inept and stubborn to the point of frustration. He fell out with a lot of good players and was needlessly confrontationally with the fans.

Second best manager in my time watching town 1. Buckley, 2 Hurst, 3 Slade 4 Lawrence 5. Laws 6. Groves 7. Swain 8.Rodger 9. Woods 10. Laws. 11.Newell.

Overall though I wish him well and I reckon he will be a tough act to follow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
arryarryarry
October 24, 2016, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from PPMariner
Not a general comment on his tenure but I just wanted to elaborate further on what Perkins began with...this 'eye for a player'.

Omar Bogle is the most readily championed example of this yet anyone (literally anyone) who follows football, takes an interest in strikers or even just played Champ Manager in the 90s would've taken a punt on a guy who's popping in a goal a game or better in lower leagues. Much the same as when Vardy and Austin were brought up a level or two. When they're young, to boot...that's not an eye for a player, it is plain old common sense!

Rather than one or two headliners....surely someone's 'eye for a player' is more accurately represented by the ability to repeatedly bring in loan strikers who fail to contribute much at all, season after season after season? The very same 'eye' then playing them, incessantly, despite these flaws?

Don't get me wrong, we've had several players during his time that I've been hugely impressed by, it's just there has been a healthy amount of dross, too. It's a numbers game and for some, I'm not sure he'd even be on the 'credit' side if we amassed a list of every player brought in...

Good 'eye for a player'? Really?

UTM

Couldn't agree more, I was just about to post something similar.

I'm sure many on here will know I have never been his biggest fan but he did in the end get us promoted and I'm thankful for that, although I felt his attitude to some games especially at home bigging up the smaller sides was counter productive and because we did quite poorly against some of these sides was the reason we didn't get promoted earlier.

I don't bear the guy any ill will and wish him the best in his new role, but am I that bothered he has gone, no not really.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
ginnywings
October 24, 2016, 11:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Vance Warner

Yeah, but when your team is taking apart the opposition with sexy flowing football, no one gave a sh1te.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The PH years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.