This thread currently has 4,781 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 6:27am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Barnsley assistant manager latest to be caught in press sting.

Tommy Wright: Barnsley suspend assistant manager over alleged corruption - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37500734

Amazing how naive people are about opening up to people they have never met.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Happy_Mariner
September 29, 2016, 6:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
Is the Scott McGarvey, who is the agent involved in some of these meetings, the ex-Town player from the 80s?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
pizzzza
September 29, 2016, 7:11am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Happy_Mariner
Is the Scott McGarvey, who is the agent involved in some of these meetings, the ex-Town player from the 80s?

Yes.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
RoboCod
September 29, 2016, 7:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
All for £5,000
Pocket change these days, though if Cellino at Leeds is caught up in it all I expect the figures involved to rise substantially.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
golfer
September 29, 2016, 7:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,377
Gold Stars: 112
Understand it's happening in other sports as well including the supposedly clean rugby union. It was suspected the Wasps manager got stung as well last night for raiding the honey jar.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
golfer
September 29, 2016, 7:36am
Vodka Drinker
Hasselbaink under investigation now
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Davec
September 29, 2016, 7:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
For a minute I thought this was about our ex striker

This is going to turn nasty, and it's only their own fault
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 8:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RoboCod
All for £5,000
Pocket change these days, though if Cellino at Leeds is caught up in it all I expect the figures involved to rise substantially.

If you are going to do this sort of thing, common sense would keep you away from big payments that can more easily be traced. Better to have ten £5K bungs than one £50K.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
MeanwoodMariner
September 29, 2016, 8:52am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Some of the accusations seem a little underwhelming given all the build up the Telegraph gave it. Perhaps there are more details to come out, but both Hasselbaink and Cellino have acknowledged the stories and are standing by what they said/did on camera. Wright seems to have done the most serious stuff though and is surely finished in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 8:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Some of the accusations seem a little underwhelming given all the build up the Telegraph gave it. Perhaps there are more details to come out, but both Hasselbaink and Cellino have acknowledged the stories and are standing by what they said/did on camera. Wright seems to have done the most serious stuff though and is surely finished in the game.

The fact that this is lower tier football is important though. I suspect the DT is trying to make the point that corruption is endemic right through the pyramid, part of the culture. I suspect they are right.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
MeanwoodMariner
September 29, 2016, 9:01am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

The fact that this is lower tier football is important though. I suspect the DT is trying to make the point that corruption is endemic right through the pyramid, part of the culture. I suspect they are right.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I think there are obvious signs of dodgy dealings. I'm basically disappointed they haven't nailed them on more serious stuff because right now it looks as though there's wiggle room for these guys to survive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
RoboCod
September 29, 2016, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It sounds like the journo's were hoping to land some big fish along with Sam but it maybe isn't quite so cut and dried, hence the Tommy Wright story is leading for now.
Hasselbanks story sounds rather lame, and I'd imagine Cellino has some pretty heavy duty legal mobsters protectors. A shame that such important news affecting the integrity of the game is boiled down to a drip-fed sensationalist newspaper headline.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Kris2
September 29, 2016, 9:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Exactly what is the point to this whole thing? That human beings will always take an easy offer with seemingly little or no risk when it's laid out to them? It's like leaving a £20 note on the floor and filming people who pocket it then calling them a criminal for stealing money that isn't theirs. It's like the football version of To Catch A Predator.

Personally I'd be more worried what goes on with these corporate types who run the game like those in the FA and the corruption there.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
arryarryarry
September 29, 2016, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Quoted from Happy_Mariner

No, it was another Scott McGarvey who just happened to be wearing a similar coat.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
Exactly what is the point to this whole thing? That human beings will always take an easy offer with seemingly little or no risk when it's laid out to them? It's like leaving a £20 note on the floor and filming people who pocket it then calling them a criminal for stealing money that isn't theirs. It's like the football version of To Catch A Predator.

Personally I'd be more worried what goes on with these corporate types who run the game like those in the FA and the corruption there.

You are missing the point. Like I said earlier if you are going to fiddle you do it in small doses. Filming someone picking up  £5K in this situation is a lot different to filming someone picking up a £20 note or even a bagful of cash in the street. It could prove to be one of a number of £5K deals by that same person.

Of course it matters that the PL is rife with corruption and that the FA does FA about it. That doesn't mean other people should get away with it on a smaller scale because a deal like this at a club like Barnsley will affect clubs at their level. I'd be bothered if it was discovered that some manager/coach in our league was on the take from an agent even if it was only for a few hundred, wouldn't you?

What is "To Catch A Predator" btw?

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Kris2
September 29, 2016, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136

What is "To Catch A Predator" btw?

A quite notorious American reality show where a group of people linked with the Police try to catch peadophiles by having somebody pose as a minor on chat rooms to lure them to a house then they use a kid to provide a false sense of security to get them inside the house so they can "trap" them and eventually have them arrested after asking a bunch of awkward questions to expose them. It's basically like Jeremy Kyle except to go out baiting pedos instead of chavs.

People have been critical that it works on temptation finding people that think they might just get away with it and convincing them to come get trapped for some sensationalist TV when they act like they are doing some good, it seems a lot like what these journalists are doing on the surface yeah it's good that they are investigating these things but they are providing situations to lure people in so they can get a story.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

A quite notorious American reality show where a group of people linked with the Police try to catch peadophiles by having somebody pose as a minor on chat rooms to lure them to a house then they use a kid to provide a false sense of security to get them inside the house so they can "trap" them and eventually have them arrested after asking a bunch of awkward questions to expose them. It's basically like Jeremy Kyle except to go out baiting pedos instead of chavs.

People have been critical that it works on temptation finding people that think they might just get away with it and convincing them to come get trapped for some sensationalist TV when they act like they are doing some good, it seems a lot like what these journalists are doing on the surface yeah it's good that they are investigating these things but they are providing situations to lure people in so they can get a story.

Thanks.

Sounds like that group in the UK apart from the TV bit.

I suppose you have to look at the other side of it - there must be a deterrent effect if would-be offenders realise there's a good chance your catch in the chat room is a fake.

That's why Allardyce said he was "silly" because he knew there were stings around but believed it when his agent said it was OK. In fact McGarvey was more naive than Allardyce!

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Cloudy
September 29, 2016, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Corruption, in various forms, is rife in all area's of business and Football is simply no different
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
PrestwichMariner
September 29, 2016, 11:22am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Mr McGarvey looked a bit hassled and very busy on his mobile when I walked past him outside a hostelry in Prestwich last night!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
moosey_club
September 29, 2016, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
We have had dealings with Barnsley this season though.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 11:39am

Big Brother is watching. Next time a tradesman offers me to do a job for cash in hand I'll be secretly filming  

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 30
ginnywings
September 29, 2016, 1:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob
Big Brother is watching. Next time a tradesman offers me to do a job for cash in hand I'll be secretly filming  

As someone who has worked as a tradesman all my adult life, i have never done cash jobs and always declared everything i earn. I know tradesmen who have been caught out and regretted it when a tax inspector is going through your whole financial dealings going back for years in some cases.

That's the point really, it may only be small fry with the Barnsley guy getting done for £5000 and some people feeling sorry for him but if he had been honest, he wouldn't be in any bother. Yes, you can say the journo's have trapped these people but they were dishonest (allegedly anyway).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 3:42pm

Quoted from ginnywings

As someone who has worked as a tradesman all my adult life, i have never done cash jobs and always declared everything i earn. I know tradesmen who have been caught out and regretted it when a tax inspector is going through your whole financial dealings going back for years in some cases.

That's the point really, it may only be small fry with the Barnsley guy getting done for £5000 and some people feeling sorry for him but if he had been honest, he wouldn't be in any bother. Yes, you can say the journo's have trapped these people but they were dishonest (allegedly anyway).

Yeah, I agree. He was in a privileged position. Most ex-players have to leave the game, those who stay are fortunate to continue working in the industry they love. OK assistant manager of Barnsley is not the highest paid position in football, but there's no excuses for taking bribes for what matters to thousands of people.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 22 - 30
promotion plaice
September 29, 2016, 3:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from GrimRob
Barnsley assistant manager latest to be caught in press sting.

Tommy Wright: Barnsley suspend assistant manager over alleged corruption - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37500734

Amazing how naive people are about opening up to people they have never met.

Now sacked -

Barnsley assistant head coach Tommy Wright has been SACKED by the Championship club after an investigation by the Daily Telegraph claimed he took a £5,000 payment from undercover reporters posing as football agents.

The 50-year-old Scot denied any wrongdoing but was suspended immediately after the allegations came to light on Wednesday.

But the South Yorkshire club has now terminated his contract with immediate effect.

"The club was unaware of such matters nor was it involved in any wrongdoing. The club will continue to fully investigate the issues at hand and will co-operate with the regulatory authorities as necessary."

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Mrbusdriver
September 29, 2016, 4:21pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from golfer
Understand it's happening in other sports as well including the supposedly clean rugby union. It was suspected the Wasps manager got stung as well last night for raiding the honey jar.

Poppycock

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Simariner
September 29, 2016, 4:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
PH for Barnsley Gaffa?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 30
Abdul19
September 29, 2016, 4:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Barnsley have a gaffa

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
golfer
September 29, 2016, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mrbusdriver

Poppycock

I deserved that-- Lets call a truce. Do you think I'm sexy. I think you are    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
golfer
September 29, 2016, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Thorough investigation required but who is there to do it It now seems that rife that you can't really trust anybody 100% Anything crooked used to be reported to the F.A. or to F.I.F,A. but thanks to Sepp Blatter and his cronies that doesn't seem an option. Somebody isn't doing their job and we shouldn.t be relying on the press to uncover these bribes.,but what can we do. When The Sun ran a story on match fixing in the 90's involving Hans Segers and Bruce Grobbelaar who said that he was trying to obtain evidence to catch the real crooks. A jury said there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Brucey Boy sued the Sun and was awarded 80K+. The Sun appealed to the House of Lords who still couldn't prove it but

changed the award to £1 with £1/2 million costs against the player. So there are ways to get the crooks even if you can't prove it 100%.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
Posh Harry
September 29, 2016, 8:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34

Thanks.

Sounds like that group in the UK apart from the TV bit.

I suppose you have to look at the other side of it - there must be a deterrent effect if would-be offenders realise there's a good chance your catch in the chat room is a fake.

That's why Allardyce said he was "silly" because he knew there were stings around but believed it when his agent said it was OK. In fact McGarvey was more naive than Allardyce!

From what I have read, the agent told alladyce not to go as there was something not right, but alladyce decided to go as a favour to his 'friend' of 30 years - step forward Scott mcGarvey. I also noted that mcGarvey has still got terrible hair. He must go to the same 'stylist' as Stale Mince! 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Mrbusdriver
September 29, 2016, 9:26pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from golfer

I deserved that-- Lets call a truce. Do you think I'm sexy. I think you are    

Dressed in black and white, we're all sexy.  

Nothing ever said in anger golfer just views on a topic no malic. UTM

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.