Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 315 Guests

Next England Manager ?

This thread currently has 3,675 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 28, 2016, 11:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
I see Jurgen Klinsmann has ruled himself out of the England job -

Gareth Southgate will serve as interim coach for England's next four matches. Klinsmann had ranked sixth at UniBet UK among the favourites to replace Allardyce behind Alan Pardew, Steve Bruce, Eddie Howe, Glenn Hoddle and Southgate.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
forza ivano
September 28, 2016, 11:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
The phrase 'embarrassment of riches' springs to mind. Not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
promotion plaice
September 28, 2016, 11:39pm

Quoted from forza ivano
The phrase 'embarrassment of riches' springs to mind. Not.

Agreed but I would go for Hoddle again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Bigdog
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Who cares anymore..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
chaos33
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 356
Arsed

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
promotion plaice
September 29, 2016, 12:19am

England were embarrassed at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, exiting the competition in the group stages after defeats to Italy and Uruguay, and then suffered humiliation at Euro 2016 after being dumped out of the tournament in France by minnows Iceland.

But could it have been a different story for England had they accepted the call from a certain Pep Guardiola in 2012?

The Catalan coach had just entered into a 12-month sabbatical following four exhausting years as the head coach of Barcelona but was apparently interested in the prospect of becoming England manager - for some reason.

Clough all over again

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
HackneyHaddock
September 29, 2016, 12:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
We ceased to be a major football nation 45 years ago, so this question really is academic.

Bandying around the names of top international managers is ridiculous - why give up a job at a top club to manage a middling tier national team?

We'd be better off getting one of the lesser-known European coaches who's worked with some of the up and coming African sides, or maybe the Icelandic coach?  All would be well-practised at getting the best out of modestly-talented groups of players and wouldn't come with any Premier League baggage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
pizzzza
September 29, 2016, 7:05am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Really don't care about England anymore.  Football is GTFC for me.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Grim74
September 29, 2016, 9:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I've followed England away in the past but I stopped giving a excrement when Rio Ferdinand was questioned at the airport, he was going on his holiday immediately after another early World Cup exit.

The reporter asked him if he had a comment to make on his teams shambolic performance at the World Cup, when he sarcastically replied " what World Cup"  it's not all but when the players don't even give a excrement what's the point.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
northbankmariner
September 29, 2016, 9:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Arsene Wenger contract at arsenal runs out this year, he will find support from within the FA ranks I am sure, and with Gareth Southgate only being installed for the next 4 qualifying games could be a possibility? Not suggesting he would be my first choice but open for discussion as home grown candidates aren't exactly standing out at present.
I do expect southgate after 4 successful games to be offered it permanently though.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 9:58am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Southgate might as well be given the chance

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 28
Abdul19
September 29, 2016, 10:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,531
Gold Stars: 215
Neil Woods could win that qualifying group before going out in the first/second round so does it even matter?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
supertown
September 29, 2016, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
They will play safe and give it to Southgate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 11:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

England were embarrassed at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, exiting the competition in the group stages after defeats to Italy and Uruguay, and then suffered humiliation at Euro 2016 after being dumped out of the tournament in France by minnows Iceland.

But could it have been a different story for England had they accepted the call from a certain Pep Guardiola in 2012?

The Catalan coach had just entered into a 12-month sabbatical following four exhausting years as the head coach of Barcelona but was apparently interested in the prospect of becoming England manager - for some reason.

Clough all over again

Both of them would have failed. Guardiola is a club manager, needs day to day contact with players and at that time had absolutely no experience of England or English players. Still hasn't got a lot.. Clough needed the day to day too but his big gob would have got him the sack very fast anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Hagrid
September 29, 2016, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,370
Gold Stars: 532
not hoddle, the mans a disgrace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 12:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from supertown
They will play safe and give it to Southgate

I think so too and they will be wrong. He's too soft. He's grown up in the caring "man management" mould, been on all the right courses, puts his arm round the shoulder .......

We need a bar steward. That's one reason I'm disappointed in Allardyce. I did think he had that quality about him of making players grown up and take responsibility. We need someone to do that and tell the little prima donnas what's what. "Play as well for me as you do for your club or you are out ..... hear me Sterling?"

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Cloudy
September 29, 2016, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

I think so too and they will be wrong. He's too soft. He's grown up in the caring "man management" mould, been on all the right courses, puts his arm round the shoulder .......

We need a bar steward. That's one reason I'm disappointed in Allardyce. I did think he had that quality about him of making players grown up and take responsibility. We need someone to do that and tell the little prima donnas what's what. "Play as well for me as you do for your club or you are out ..... hear me Sterling?"

Do you really think that will work with todays multi millionaire prima donna's?

International football for England is dead, players clearly dont care and more and more fans have the same attitude. Many of here are only interested in Town and it is the same around the country.

Add the ruling bodies inability to have any degree of control and that is why (IMO )
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
MeanwoodMariner
September 29, 2016, 12:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
There's only one man who can save the nation now. Steve "Unfinished Business" McClaren.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 29, 2016, 12:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
There's only one man who can save the nation now. Steve "Unfinished Business" McClaren.

You mean the man who single handedly demolished the umbrella manufacturing industry?

On the plus side - nobody will offer a bung to someone who has nothing to offer in return.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
grimsby pete
September 29, 2016, 7:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
It does not matter who gets the job,

Its the players who can not perform at  the finals that's the problem.

We will win the next 3 easy games then draw with Spain,

So Southgate will get the job.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
Rodley Mariner
September 29, 2016, 7:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Half the challenge will be finding somebody who wants it. After Roy was sacked Southgate categorically stated he wasn't ready and didn't want it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
moosey_club
September 29, 2016, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Abdul19
Neil Woods could win that qualifying group before going out in the first/second round so does it even matter?

Woods no good for tournament football...it took him about 23 games to get a win

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
rancido
September 29, 2016, 8:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Whoever it is I hope he is English. It doesn't matter to me if there are better foreign coaches available , the main criteria should be that he has English credentials ( just like the payers). When Alf Ramsey was appointed England manager he had never managed a top flight team until he took Ipswich into the First Division and then for less than 2 seasons.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
golfer
September 29, 2016, 10:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from rancido
Whoever it is I hope he is English. It doesn't matter to me if there are better foreign coaches available , the main criteria should be that he has English credentials ( just like the payers). When Alf Ramsey was appointed England manager he had never managed a top flight team until he took Ipswich into the First Division and then for less than 2 seasons.

entirely agree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Abdul19
September 30, 2016, 11:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,531
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from moosey_club

Woods no good for tournament football...it took him about 23 games to get a win

Worked alright for Portugal this summer

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
ginnywings
September 30, 2016, 1:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Wenger saying he is open to the England job "one day". For me, the problem with managers like Wenger is that they just don't have enough time to work with the players and instill their methods on the team. That's why i thought Allardyce was a good choice as someone who would keep it simple and play to our strengths, rather than someone who will try and out-football the better sides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
acko338
September 30, 2016, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,226
Gold Stars: 33
Am I alone in not being bothered - fed up of broken promises and early exits?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 30, 2016, 3:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Am I alone in not being bothered - fed up of broken promises and early exits?

You should be acko118 - You are not alone. We ARE a loan!

We are all more than a bit cheesed with the FA, with the players and the managers since 1996 I guess. The flop in the tournaments was acceptable if it was the semis or even the quarters but now we don't look as though we could beat a blind school team.

Having said that, after the 1962 world cup nobody actually rated Ramsey's appointment and until the quarter final against Argentina there was not much interest or optimism about the team's chances. It was only in that game and the Portugal game that things started to come together for the fans.

Which is why I thought Allardyce was a good choice. He would keep things simple and manage the players like Jack Charlton did with Eire and play to the players' strengths. I can't see someone like Southgate doing that, he'd be too European in his approach and too soft with the players. He's already told Rooney he's captain for the next two games when the bloke is struggling with the realisation he isn't even good enough to play for his club any more.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
promotion plaice
September 30, 2016, 8:01pm

Some suggestions in the media  -

Roberto Mancini

Touted as one of the favourites by many bookies, Mancini has the experience of English football that the governing body seem to crave so dearly. The Italian led Manchester City to their historic Premier League title in 2012, and has since returned to Italy – via Turkey – to manage Inter Milan for the second time.

As a manager, Mancini produces sides that are well structured, but he is unafraid of making changes to alter a game. He brings plans into a match, knowing he has cards to play in certain scenarios. For England this would be beneficial. Able to use the depth of resources currently available, he would utilise the whole of the squad effectively.

Mancini has experience in managing some of the game’s more challenging characters, which should make dealing with the uncomfortable Wayne Rooney issue a doddle.

Marcelo Bielsa

It is hard to imagine the Football Association and Marcelo Bielsa getting along too well. Whether it would work or not is anyone’s guess, but it would be fun finding out.

One of the game’s tactical revolutionaries, Bielsa would be a shock to the rigid English game. The Argentine is currently out of work, too, making an appointment potentially painless. It is a fantasy for many of Bielsa’s fans and it would take quite a change of heart from the FA.

A man that has been labelled the ‘best manager in the world’ by Pep Guardiola and lists some of the game’s greatest as his disciples, Bielsa is far more than an adventurous tactician. He could bring a new understanding of the game to England and we would all be better off for his marathon press conferences.

Manuel Pellegrini

Since leaving Manchester City last summer, Pellegrini has been managing Chinese side, Hebei China Fortune. Like the other two candidates on this list, Pellegrini is an immensely knowledgeable and experienced manager. His career as a gaffer began in 1988, with spells on three different continents leading him to periods at both Man City and Real Madrid.

Having spent three seasons in the Premier League, Pellegrini would be able to go straight into management without a period learning about the players available to him. The natural understanding of what he would want from each individual still takes time, but he would have a potential advantage over others that he has first-hand experience of these players.

English football needs a calm leader as claims of corruption spread across the leagues, Pellegrini fits the bill perfectly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next England Manager ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.