5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 29, 2016, 2:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
We've always had the ability to attract big one off crowds, but as those attendance stats show, those that turn up for the big games, disappear when it's back to the run of the mill league games.

It's why the Prem is so successful, because the majority of people only want to be associated with the glory. The usual response when i tell people i am a Town regular is "are you mad, they are shite". I got into a heated argument last year with some guys on a building site who are all season ticket holders at Hull. They don't give a excrement about Hull but go to see the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool once a season. That's what we are up against and Hull is a prime example of it. When they were lower down the leagues, playing in a shitty ground, they couldn't get anyone interested, despite Hull being a sizeable city.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Golden fox
September 29, 2016, 2:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
I honestly got pretty fed up of all the football on , and don't watch to many games on the box nowadays  . Some of the 70s and 80s , when people reminisce about them sound great great memories . I wasn't around in those days but three of my earliest and fondest memories from football were :Euro 96 , Town v Aston Villa in the FA or league cup (can't remember which comp ) and the double real Wembley triumphs .... it all just seemed more real somehow  .  At some point between then and now for me football in this country 'blew up ' becoming much more than a game for fun, love and not all about money to one about instant success (whatever the level )  , controversy , greed , money and seriousness  . I wonder if the FIFA Generation in twenty years time will look back and wish for what they had ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
Heisenberg
September 29, 2016, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
7,634 in 1984 when we finished 5th in what is now The Championship.  I have to say, that is pretty dismal!  Maybe we haven't got the potential at all?  I'm undecided, and I'll be honest, I think there's 3-4000 regulars, with about the same occasionals.  I think we'd only get a +10,000 average if we ever got to the Premier League, which will never happen.

That being said, it's still a large part of the community, so the NIMBYs can slag GTFC off all they want, it's still a big part of things around here, even at our current level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
LH
September 29, 2016, 2:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,496
Gold Stars: 173
FIFA the video game is another problem with football at the minute. Grown men queuing at Tesco at midnight last night for a game that allows you to play football - when they could go and actually play the real game most nights a week at sports halls and astroturf pitches around Town or on Bradley Pitches etc on a Sunday - or go to to BP on a SaturdayYounger kids are more likely to be in the warmth of their bedrooms playing it rather than playing on the streets or fields nowadays.

It's cringeworthy if you're older than your mid-teens and getting excited about it (as a few of my colleagues were last night).

Edit: just realised this isn't exactly on subject and I was just readingt the England/Allardyce thread.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Cloudy
September 29, 2016, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from LH
FIFA the video game is another problem with football at the minute. Grown men queuing at Tesco at midnight last night for a game that allows you to play football - when they could go and actually play the real game most nights a week at sports halls and astroturf pitches around Town or on Bradley Pitches etc on a Sunday - or go to to BP on a SaturdayYounger kids are more likely to be in the warmth of their bedrooms playing it rather than playing on the streets or fields nowadays.

It's cringeworthy if you're older than your mid-teens and getting excited about it (as a few of my colleagues were last night).

Edit: just realised this isn't exactly on subject and I was just readingt the England/Allardyce thread.

and you know this because???
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Mrs Doyle
September 29, 2016, 6:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The amount of people that support either Manu, Liverpool and Leeds from here is disappointing in the extreme.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
1mickylyons
September 30, 2016, 11:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
The past facts and figures speak for themselves but the key word and the word that`s always forgotten here is potential.I have followed Town since 79/80 and since then numerous localish Clubs have relocated and with the possible exception of Scunny everyone else seems to have significantly upped average home attendances.Doncaster for example regularly used to get crowds of around 1500-2500 Chesterfield again seemed to have gained 2k extra fans why would GTFC be any different? The support here is 4k regular and 4k floating but the untapped potential is probably in excess of 10k a bit of legwork from the Club/Trust could start a trickle and by the time were in the Fentydome no reason we couldn't double our average gate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home Support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.