September 28, 2016, 11:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Grimsby?

To be non-facetious for a minute, there are a lot more people out there. Surely we could mobilise a bigger percentage of the population.

But we never really have in the past. Even in the Championship, playing some of the best football I've ever seen, we only averaged 6000 as Rob pointed out. Potentially, there are a lot more fans out there, but they don't turn up regularly, only when promotion beckons usually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
grimps
September 29, 2016, 5:24am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
If we'd had a decent sized ground and a big away end and was in the championship these days it would be a different story.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
headingly_mariner
September 29, 2016, 7:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Our crowds have been good this season. 4300 with no away fans on a Champions League Tuesday is good going. Surely there will be over 5500 on Saturday.

Would averaging over 5000 mean the club make a bit of money?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
heppy88
September 29, 2016, 8:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

But we never really have in the past. Even in the Championship, playing some of the best football I've ever seen, we only averaged 6000 as Rob pointed out. Potentially, there are a lot more fans out there, but they don't turn up regularly, only when promotion beckons usually.

Makes you wonder if we really need a 14000 capacity in the new stadium.
6000 at BP is a good attendance with a good atmosphere.
But 6000 can appear lost in a 14000 stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
Les Brechin
September 29, 2016, 8:56am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I can remember us beating Port Vale 4-1 in the 2nd tier on a Tuesday night and the attendance was little over 3000.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 9:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Quoted from heppy88

Makes you wonder if we really need a 14000 capacity in the new stadium.
6000 at BP is a good attendance with a good atmosphere.
But 6000 can appear lost in a 14000 stadium.

If you build it they will come  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 46
highcliff mariner
September 29, 2016, 9:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from GrimRob

If you build it they will come  

I hope so , because having seen us play at Darlingtons.place, and also things like the Doncaster highlights this week( I wondered if they had been ordered to play behind closed doors). Watching footie in a quarter full "Stadium" isn't much fun .
As for the attendance , as mentioned on here .Fighting for top spot  atracts the fans , keep doing what we are doing with a few more goals , and it will build .
Kids SHOULD be free ,2 per adult) whatever .

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
GrimRob
September 29, 2016, 9:57am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Quoted from highcliff mariner

I hope so , because having seen us play at Darlingtons.place, and also things like the Doncaster highlights this week( I wondered if they had been ordered to play behind closed doors). Watching footie in a quarter full "Stadium" isn't much fun .
As for the attendance , as mentioned on here .Fighting for top spot  atracts the fans , keep doing what we are doing with a few more goals , and it will build .

UTM

The good news for us is plenty of clubs have built new stadia. Some have been more successful than others. Many have seen huge percentage increases in home gates  Hopefully, our club can benefit from the experiences of others.....

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 46
Kris2
September 29, 2016, 9:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Yes and then we could have more kids who run around not really watching the game who get dragged off  before the end if we are losing or sometimes even if we aren't because their parents want to avoid traffic. I don't know what it is with kids even the ball boys don't seem interested in the game and spent the last 10 minutes of Tuesday running around the pitch for whatever reason that was lol. It was really distracting watching the game where there is a row of little kids running around getting in the way of people taking throw ins and stuff.

Attendance wise I think the people saying it's to do with wins have it right, more people start turning up when we are winning but if we lose the attendance shoots back down again if we got in the playoffs or near the top of the table they'd all appear as they do when we go to Wembley for a big day out in London even in the old first division it was like that. If we played somebody big people would turn up or on boxing day etc but I rarely remember the place being completely full just never been a fashionable club to follow.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
tanga_the_indestructible
September 29, 2016, 10:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ginnywings

But the support has been there in the not that distant past. Didn't we have averages of about 11-12000 in our first season back in the old 2nd Division (1980-81 season)? Times are harder now and there are more leisure options, but with a new stadium and some impetus on the pitch, there's no reason why we can't aim for bigger attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home Support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.