4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
blundellpork
September 17, 2016, 6:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
A decent keeper at Conference Level when forward's were both physically and mentally slower, but at league level his indecisiveness is beginning to cost us a few goals. 3 weeks ago against Stevenage he was at fault for the second goal when Pearson saw McKeown coming then both, stopped allowing their forward to square the ball for an easy tap in. Today, Crewe's first goal came from a poor loss of possession by Summerfield but when the ball was squared across the box I am convinced that McKeown could have got there before Cooper had he have reacted more quickly.

Whilst I would like to have another look on the highlight's later, I think his indecision contributed to the second goal when he half came then stopped allowing Jones to poke home.

Surely this has been seen by Hurst and Warrington and they are trying to improve him through coaching. I must confess I would be tempted to try Henderson out and see if he is as good as the reviews he has been getting in Manchester.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
September 17, 2016, 7:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Not sure about the 2nd, would need to see it again, but definitely agree on the first goal. Should've came out and I thought at the time could've actually got/smothered the ball after the guys heavy touch.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
But......James made a good save in the first half, kept out a penalty and made a really good save at the start of the 2nd half, he like Shaun & Omar are still learning at this level. I would be more concerned how often we get a small lad to mark I big opponent, can't keep the ball when it counts and lacked leadership today. Trust me Mecca has really come on in the last couple of seasons and will develop even further.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
Kris2
September 17, 2016, 9:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Honestly think he did fine today and kept the score reasonable all things considered. Sometimes the people in front of him give him a lot to do in defensive moves. Certain players seem to love putting him under pressure too with a poor back pass when they had plenty of other options. I can't remember who it was maybe Pearson that pelted a pass at him full force that he had to knock out with a ton of backspin on it under pressure.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
gb
September 17, 2016, 9:20pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +36
His best performance this season!!! No way could he have made the ball for the first without giving away a foul/red card. Second goal comes from the defence not doing their job which is defending!! We are giving away two many goals trying to be clever and not having the footballing ability to actually do it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
Honestly think he did fine today and kept the score reasonable all things considered. Sometimes the people in front of him give him a lot to do in defensive moves. Certain players seem to love putting him under pressure too with a poor back pass when they had plenty of other options. I can't remember who it was maybe Pearson that pelted a pass at him full force that he had to knock out with a ton of backspin on it under pressure.

I saw that pass too. Personally I'm more worried about the full backs as going forward they look good but often get caught out of position.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
ginnywings
September 17, 2016, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
We all thought he should have kept coming once he started to, but he seemed to change his mind and hesitated. Would have to see the replay but he looked favourite to reach the ball from where i was sat. Could be wrong on that though, so undecided until i see the highlights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
headingly_mariner
September 17, 2016, 9:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Thought he was our mom today. Saved a pen and two 1 on 1's. Can't take any blame for today's result surely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
September 17, 2016, 9:47pm
Guest User
This post should be deleted, why single out players, what is the positive outcome of this?
Reply: 8 - 37
Grantley
September 17, 2016, 9:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Don't think Mckeown could've done much better today. Could he have come for the first? Yes. Should there have been a defender there? Yes. He saved a penalty and another goal in the second half, don't forget, both from mistakes by other players, as well as the first.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 28195
This post should be deleted, why single out players, what is the positive outcome of this?

Frustrated paying fans get a chance to vent?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
September 17, 2016, 10:00pm
Guest User
How can you be frustrated, we've had a great start to the season and have a great squad. Have we progressed in the past 12 months? YES get a grip.....
Reply: 11 - 37
Kris2
September 17, 2016, 10:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
We all thought he should have kept coming once he started to, but he seemed to change his mind and hesitated. Would have to see the replay but he looked favourite to reach the ball from where i was sat. Could be wrong on that though, so undecided until i see the highlights.

On the highlights it really looks like he would have left himself stranded if he came out for it. Nobody seemed to have him marked it looked like Gowling and Pearson doubled up on Dagnal leaving them nowhere for the goal.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 28195
How can you be frustrated, we've had a great start to the season and have a great squad. Have we progressed in the past 12 months? YES get a grip.....

I'm not frustrated you just asked why people would post like this and i offered an answer.........I have a "grip" and am happy with our start.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Mrbump53
September 17, 2016, 10:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Thought there was a lot of indecisiveness amongst the back 5 today and in previous matches. Think it needs to be picked up in the training but will say that the keeper at the other end showed confidence in coming out to clear or gather the ball. Would be interested to see our loanee keeper given some playing time as well as our latest signing to instill (hopefully) some confidence. Agree with earlier comments that we have had a decent start and think the team at times are playing some great football so not too worried at this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
ginnywings
September 17, 2016, 10:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Kris2

On the highlights it really looks like he would have left himself stranded if he came out for it. Nobody seemed to have him marked it looked like Gowling and Pearson doubled up on Dagnal leaving them nowhere for the goal.

Fair enough. The highlights often show things in a different light from the one look you get at a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Mariner_09
September 17, 2016, 10:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Thought he kept us in it for long periods today, made an excellent penalty save and 2 or 3 really good saves in open play as well, plus claimed balls in his area better. My MOM.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Maringer
September 17, 2016, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Not seen a replay, but didn't personally think he did much wrong for either of the goals.

For me, the frustration came with their second because Summerfield was clearly shoved in the air when trying to head clear in the lead up to that. He got his head to it to some degree and the referee let play go on, but the ball fell straight to their player, the cross came in from the other side and they somehow scored. Still not sure how it found its way into the corner though. A clear foul on Summerfield, poor refereeing (quelle surprise), goal.

First half, we weren't at the races and deserved to be behind. Second half, not the case as we played a good bit better (though not brilliantly).

As has been noted in this thread, it seems strange to blame McKeown today as he dealt with almost everything our mistakes gifted them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
moosey_club
September 17, 2016, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Grantley
Don't think Mckeown could've done much better today. Could he have come for the first? Yes. Should there have been a defender there? Yes. He saved a penalty and another goal in the second half, don't forget, both from mistakes by other players, as well as the first.

How do you save a goal?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
September 17, 2016, 11:54pm
Guest User
The title of this thread sounds like a real ale. Probably an IPA, about 6.4%
Reply: 19 - 37
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2016, 12:22am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 97
The title of this thread sounds like a real ale. Probably an IPA, about 6.4%

With beer that strength you'd feel pretty damned decisive after the first couple.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
golfer
September 18, 2016, 7:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from moosey_club

How do you save a goal?  

You go for a wee like I did and miss the first goal. You come back and nobody tells you they have scored. You watch the game thinking it's 0-0.They score another goal to make it 2-0 but you still cheer them on for the equaliser. You feel a fool when you get home and the wife tells you it's 2-0. I just wish I'd gone for 2 wees and we might have got a point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Sigone
September 18, 2016, 9:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from golfer

You go for a wee like I did and miss the first goal. You come back and nobody tells you they have scored. You watch the game thinking it's 0-0.They score another goal to make it 2-0 but you still cheer them on for the equaliser. You feel a fool when you get home and the wife tells you it's 2-0. I just wish I'd gone for 2 wees and we might have got a point.

And the big Electronic scoreboard said???  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
dapperz fun pub
September 18, 2016, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Mariner_09
Thought he kept us in it for long periods today, made an excellent penalty save and 2 or 3 really good saves in open play as well, plus claimed balls in his area better. My MOM.

Sadly though he consistently makes basic errors which people remember and he clearly doesn't fill the defenders with confidence I'm afraid. Good game yesterday but still not convinced
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
rancido
September 18, 2016, 11:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Sadly though he consistently makes basic errors which people remember and he clearly doesn't fill the defenders with confidence I'm afraid. Good game yesterday but still not convinced

This is how I regard him. His reaction saves and general positioning are good. Unfortunately this is often counteracted by some basic errors and his lack of domination in the 6 yard box , especially in the air. In general he has been a decent keeper for us but he has cost us a few points this season and this can have a bad affect on the back four.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
golfer
September 18, 2016, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
I don't normally stick up for goalkeepers after we have lost at home but how anybody cannot say he was not our best player beats me.If I was in goal and had this seasons defence dithering about in front of me I would be a nervous wreck. All goalkeepers make mistakes but they only stand out if we are not used to them. He has been our saviour on many occasions in the last few years and it is completely unfair in my opinion that this post is running. There have been too many bad comments about individual players lately[ I've done my share I know ] but it ought to now stop. Why dont we drop him and bring in some raw kid ---how stupid-let's just send him out to some Italian club on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
grimsby pete
September 18, 2016, 2:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Apart from Davies non of the defence have been too convincing up to now,

You only have to look at the goals conceded to know that,

but

It is early days and they will learn and we will get better,

The experience of Collins will be a big help maybe just from the training pitch at first,

If no improvement Hursty will find the right man/men in January .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Davec
September 18, 2016, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Grimsby Pete I must say not even Davies has properly convinced me yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Garth
September 18, 2016, 3:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Don't pin all your hopes on Collins, he is not another Futcher, will MU keep their keeper here if he just spectating Hmm!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 18, 2016, 4:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just watched the 2nd goal on Mariners player a couple of times not really James's fault it had more to do with the goal scorer being completely unmarked when the ball came back into the box after Summerfields clearance. Once again poor marking when a ball is lifted into our penalty area.

After watching most of the game again my opinion of Crewe has changed at first I thought we gifted them the game which may be correct to a small degree but overall they did a really good job on us yesterday. Also our passing and ball retention was absolutely rubbish.

Anyway we go again at Mansfield next week.

UTM!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
Kris2
September 18, 2016, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Garth
Don't pin all your hopes on Collins, he is not another Futcher, will MU keep their keeper here if he just spectating Hmm!

He will get his chance to show what he can do  eventually probably in the cup game but he's only here on loan should our actual keeper be sitting out games until his loan finishes kept going only by reserves football then having to come back in to the first team? We don't even know if this kid is good yet or if he'll offer something better. He lacks experience as a senior player. Tommy Forecast was once thought of as a future England international prospect and look how that worked out for us.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
oldun
September 18, 2016, 6:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Sorry, but for the second goal, James came out waving his arms about to try and block any shot or cross but he dithered instead of attacking the ball. For the first, yes it was a terrible back pass from Summerfield but Macca was slow to react to the ball into the box. Andrew not tracking the goal scorer also did not help but James should have spotted the danger and come out much quicker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Kris2
September 18, 2016, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from oldun
Sorry, but for the second goal, James came out waving his arms about to try and block any shot or cross but he dithered instead of attacking the ball. For the first, yes it was a terrible back pass from Summerfield but Macca was slow to react to the ball into the box. Andrew not tracking the goal scorer also did not help but James should have spotted the danger and come out much quicker.

For he first goal, he's not getting to that ball before their man who is charging in unmarked. He's just not all that happens is the guy goes around him or shoots. Charging towards a ball like that would not have done anything it was moving away from him not towards.

The second one, he was expecting the shot but Dagnall knocked it away from him and they squirmed a shot in while Summerfield stood and watched. Actually that time he came out to try to claim it like you wanted for the first goal and look what happened. What do you expect him to do in this situation? Come flying through the air to grab the ball risking a penalty,a concussion or most likely them scoring anyway while he's on the floor having had the ball knocked away. He though the shot was coming in and he went to block but a clever pass changed the angle of the shot. Sumerfield stood and watched. Pearson didn't win a header just before it then sort of stood there looking lost instead of blocking Dagnall.  

There was a lot going on in both situations unfortunately the keeper is not superhuman and can't save everything especially when he doesn't have a chance in hell with the first one the second one if Dagnall was dealt with sure but Summerfield and Pearson dropped the ball.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
oldun
September 19, 2016, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

For he first goal, he's not getting to that ball before their man who is charging in unmarked. He's just not all that happens is the guy goes around him or shoots. Charging towards a ball like that would not have done anything it was moving away from him not towards.

The second one, he was expecting the shot but Dagnall knocked it away from him and they squirmed a shot in while Summerfield stood and watched. Actually that time he came out to try to claim it like you wanted for the first goal and look what happened. What do you expect him to do in this situation? Come flying through the air to grab the ball risking a penalty,a concussion or most likely them scoring anyway while he's on the floor having had the ball knocked away. He though the shot was coming in and he went to block but a clever pass changed the angle of the shot. Sumerfield stood and watched. Pearson didn't win a header just before it then sort of stood there looking lost instead of blocking Dagnall.  

There was a lot going on in both situations unfortunately the keeper is not superhuman and can't save everything especially when he doesn't have a chance in hell with the first one the second one if Dagnall was dealt with sure but Summerfield and Pearson dropped the ball.

Hello Macca's dad. I am not excusing other defenders' errors but Macca does have an indecisive streak at times. There have been several occasions when he has started to come for a ball and then stopped. The second goal on Sat was very similar to one conceded at Notts County.. If you come for the ball then make sure you get to it. Having said that credit for saving the pen, not something he is famous for, and also the save in the second half when he came out well to block the attacker who was through on goal. Not all bad but can do better. Could be he is not helped by a back four who always seem to be operating on the limit between being in control and all at sea.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
Garth
September 19, 2016, 10:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Quoted from oldun

Hello Macca's dad. I am not excusing other defenders' errors but Macca does have an indecisive streak at times. There have been several occasions when he has started to come for a ball and then stopped. The second goal on Sat was very similar to one conceded at Notts County.. If you come for the ball then make sure you get to it. Having said that credit for saving the pen, not something he is famous for, and also the save in the second half when he came out well to block the attacker who was through on goal. Not all bad but can do better. Could be he is not helped by a back four who always seem to be operating on the limit between being in control and all at sea.

Agreed, I thought that he was put under pressure too many times by defenders and midfielders giving away too many free kick situations in dangerous areas, quality balls from them put into the box which he more or less dealt with OK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Stew0_0
September 19, 2016, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Think the better option will be collins in for gowling. Josh has started the season poorly and think pearson has been the stronger of the other centre halves so far. Collins would bring vast football league experience and shore up a defensive partnership that so far have made panicky decisions which in turn has made Mckeown erratic. With more protection macca should be more than capable at this level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
oldun
September 20, 2016, 10:20am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think the better option will be collins in for gowling. Josh has started the season poorly and think pearson has been the stronger of the other centre halves so far. Collins would bring vast football league experience and shore up a defensive partnership that so far have made panicky decisions which in turn has made Mckeown erratic. With more protection macca should be more than capable at this level

I think Collins will play on Sat. Apparently he is a left sided player which where Pearson generally plays with Gowling on right side. Not sure how interchangeable they are if we need to give Gowling a rest. Collins left CB might also provide better cover on that side too. Will be interesting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
monkeyboy
September 20, 2016, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
If anything it was Summerfields fault for not following his man and leaving it to the keeper. Summerfield should have followed and try to protect the goal, he stopped and gave up! Not the keepers fault whatsoever for the second goal.

The first goal was urine poor marking by the defense who let the runner go straight past and we had the wrong shape to cope with it, in part this could be due to ball chasing rather than reading the game. Pretty standard for this level of football, unfortunaltly you are more likely to get punished than in the conference as the finishing is slightly better.
McKeown is a good keeper but is weak in some areas but is more than adequate for this level and most teams would snap him up.

I know people would love to see Henderson but be careful what you wish for , anyone remember very highly rated Tommy Forecast?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McKeown's Indecisiveness

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.