This thread currently has 6,500 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TheGoalKipper
September 14, 2016, 2:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
God knows how you guys are going to cope when we hit a bad patch and lose 3 in a row

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
Mariner55
September 14, 2016, 2:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm sure it was fixed that we took an age to get promoted out that league. Sides like Alfreton and Southport got almost their entire away support revenue from us.

Please could you explain how it could have been fixed that we wouldn't go up?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Mariner55
September 14, 2016, 2:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
My thoughts, for what they're worth:
> Hurst was both smart and brave to let so many players go.  Despite the euphoria of going up, we were probably slightly fortunate to do so given the inconsistency in the latter part of the season.
> He knew that if we were to stay up and even challenge for promotion we needed a much better squad.
> our performance so far this season has been pretty remarkable considering each game only about three of our outfield players were with us last year.  At Luton they looked very cohesive and highly effective ... I'm surprised they have 'clicked' quite so fast.
> I know the thoughts of Town fans turn to relegation when we lose and to promotion when we win, but given the way they've been playing in past couple of weeks I think we have cause to be quite optimistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
KingstonMariner
September 14, 2016, 9:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Progress is rarely a straight, upward trajectory. We'll suffer some let downs along the way. Saturday was great, but we didn't dominate the game and I'm sure we'll have worse performances. But it does feel as if we're on the up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
wigworld
September 14, 2016, 10:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Mariner55

Please could you explain how it could have been fixed that we wouldn't go up?  

It's true, they did the same to Bristol Rovers.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 28
chaos33
September 14, 2016, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Yep they did, and to Luton too. The fixing ba$tards  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2016, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Mariner55
My thoughts, for what they're worth:
> Hurst was both smart and brave to let so many players go.  Despite the euphoria of going up, we were probably slightly fortunate to do so given the inconsistency in the latter part of the season.
> He knew that if we were to stay up and even challenge for promotion we needed a much better squad.
> our performance so far this season has been pretty remarkable considering each game only about three of our outfield players were with us last year.  At Luton they looked very cohesive and highly effective ... I'm surprised they have 'clicked' quite so fast.
> I know the thoughts of Town fans turn to relegation when we lose and to promotion when we win, but given the way they've been playing in past couple of weeks I think we have cause to be quite optimistic.

I think the reason they have clicked is because they are technically more gifted. PH ran the risk of upsetting many fans by letting certain players go but he believed that a team that finished so far behind the Conference winners wouldn't be good enough for League 2 - fairly obvious in hindsight but many of us couldn't see it, then again, we aren't managers of GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Garth
September 15, 2016, 9:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think the reason they have clicked is because they are technically more gifted. PH ran the risk of upsetting many fans by letting certain players go but he believed that a team that finished so far behind the Conference winners wouldn't be good enough for League 2 - fairly obvious in hindsight but many of us couldn't see it, then again, we aren't managers of GTFC.

He Big King Man Bawana
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
rancido
September 17, 2016, 11:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Spot on. Now we are a league club PH can sign better players on longer contracts. The pressure is off him as regards having to achieve promotion out of non-league. Admittedly, now we have to avoid relegation but it seems like all the players in the squad have the ability and quality to stop us falling back into that abyss. IMO PH has a much better idea and is better suited in managing a league team as opposed to a non-league one.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The general feeling around our club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.