3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
September 13, 2016, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I'm still on cloud nine after getting promoted from non league, six years of pain gone!  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
grimsby pete
September 13, 2016, 12:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
6 years is only a small blip in the history of our great club,

BUT

It seemed an eternity to us didn't it ?

Onward and upward from now on guys,

We will be back in the L2 L1 Championship or whatever they call it soon,

There can not be many clubs like us that have played in the top five leagues,

That have been called so many different names.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Posh Harry
September 13, 2016, 12:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
For me it's all about the pressure of the situation. Since 2010 everyone from the top to the bottom of the club has been under increasing pressure each year for us to get back up, even getting to the stage where several people (me included) had grave concerns about the clubs future if we had not gone up last season (operation promotion, umbrella payments, more bankrolled teams etc), with long term part time football possibly being a real prospect.

Now the goal has been achieved it is like that pressure valve has been released, people at the club can actually enjoy their jobs more, enjoy coming to work more and look forward to a bright future. At the moment the balance if right in that pressure off, if we lose a game it's not the end of the world and we move on. The powers that be (JF/PH) just need to ensure balance doesn't become too relaxed and we go the other way. I am sure they are both capable of that. If we lost last season then the Fishy would go into meltdown and there would be calls for heads to roll, this year we analyse, moan a bit but move on.

Personally even as a fan, when we have lost this season I have been gutted (of course) but as the expectation is not that we have to win every game then I can be gutted and get over it and move on. The kids are pleased too, the last time they got a beating was after the Braintree 1st leg 😉

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
dapperz fun pub
September 13, 2016, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from moosey_club
We are fickle arent we ?

Roll back only a few weeks and there was a consensus building that the club was heading for disaster, Mighty Mariner gate, PR gaffes, no defenders, ground will never be built.....but 7 points out of 9 and its.....we will be in the Premier League before you know it  

The pr issues is still that a issue now more than ever we need to get this right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Mikey
September 13, 2016, 5:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -237
Quoted from grimsby pete
6 years is only a small blip in the history of our great club,

BUT

It seemed an eternity to us didn't it ?

Onward and upward from now on guys,

We will be back in the L2 L1 Championship or whatever they call it soon,

There can not be many clubs like us that have played in the top five leagues,

That have been called so many different names.

Oxford
Luton
Carlisle
Grimsby
Swindon?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
grimps
September 13, 2016, 5:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mikey

Oxford
Luton
Carlisle
Grimsby
Swindon?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Wimbledon ? not sure if it counts though because its not the same club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
golfer
September 13, 2016, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I'm still on cloud nine after getting promoted from non league, six years of pain gone!  

Don't just sit there day dreaming, I've been waiting for this signal to go green for the last hour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
sydney
September 13, 2016, 8:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Started for us at Braintree away
Driving down expecting to be disappointed but in the end having one of the best days ever
Been on a high ever since
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Skrill
September 13, 2016, 8:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Grimsby is a club with history. History of being a tough, gritty and generally very fishy team to play against. Many fans from all around the entire football league have shown support for us, mentioning how 'grimsby are a proper football team, with proper fans and deserve to be in the football league', and the like.

Finally the football league will hear once again the chants of old, 'Sing when we're fishin!". The Mariners know and the rest of the football league know, Grimsby are back!

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
KingstonMariner
September 13, 2016, 10:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Hertsmariner
And to state the obvious, as implied above, it is the home attendances which are vital to the club's wellbeing. GTFC does not benefit financially from its huge away following, though of course the support inspires the team away from BP. I would add that promotion from the Conference came at exactly the right moment, following on from the Operation Promotion money-raising initiative orchestrated by the Trust. In the game of counter-factuals, had we not been promoted at the end of last season after so much enthusiasm in the wake of defeat by Bristol Rovers at Wembley, our decline might well have continued into further obscurity. Thankfully that didn't happen and now we have a terrific opportunity to progress if the home support can be increased further. Right now, I'm enjoying the ride, watching some richly entertaining, and at times, thrilling football. Long may it continue.  

That to be says a lot about the collective power and influence of fans if channelled.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The general feeling around our club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.