September 7, 2016, 2:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from marinerjase

Topcon?

I'm willing to be corrected but I think Mr Fenty has sold his stake in Topcon.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 115
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 7, 2016, 2:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

I'm  happy that we have got people in with far more experience of attracting interest by way of P.R. etc than  could reasonably be expected to be provided by the Board of a fourth tier professional provincial football team. Isn't most of the issue about selling the site to interested parties? I didn't expect them to be wielding trowels. Indeed I hope that job goes to substantially local businesses.

In the sense of raising the profile of the thing - yes I definitely agree. I also agree that it would be extremely good to see local firms get contracts and sub-contracts out of this but on past experience I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were you Barra!

The main issue with the stadium and a big associated development to my mind  is getting proper established developers and companies to stump up hard cash as opposed to promises from new venture companies that owe their existence to loans. If these Extreme bods can  get some safe big firms on board then I'm all for it. But if the thing is started on a wing and prayer with only "expectations" of further investment, then there could be trouble ahead. These enabling firms look to get the local council to be some sort of guarantor which then puts the firm in the financial clear if things go pear shaped. This works OK as long as the economy is reasonably buoyant and everyone plays their part in putting money in as and when contracted. If not, the council ends up with a white elephant draining funds that it has to try and sell off, but of course at a huge loss.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 115
Cloudy
September 7, 2016, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

In the sense of raising the profile of the thing - yes I definitely agree. I also agree that it would be extremely good to see local firms get contracts and sub-contracts out of this but on past experience I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were you Barra!

The main issue with the stadium and a big associated development to my mind  is getting proper established developers and companies to stump up hard cash as opposed to promises from new venture companies that owe their existence to loans. If these Extreme bods can  get some safe big firms on board then I'm all for it. But if the thing is started on a wing and prayer with only "expectations" of further investment, then there could be trouble ahead. These enabling firms look to get the local council to be some sort of guarantor which then puts the firm in the financial clear if things go pear shaped. This works OK as long as the economy is reasonably buoyant and everyone plays their part in putting money in as and when contracted. If not, the council ends up with a white elephant draining funds that it has to try and sell off, but of course at a huge loss.

There could of course be a nuclear holocaust too

I bet you are a happy soul really RRFC?
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 115
grimslaa
September 7, 2016, 3:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +75
Quoted from golfer
If a new company is formed to run and own this new stadium what will happen to the existing shareholders, and will the LOANS be paid back to those involved. Will we then if this happens require a new board , chairman ," majority shareholder" etc. If it is a new company will existing staff including players be made redundant. As far as companies go nowadays the directors appear to be able to do whatever they like If this is the financial success that is expected who reaps the rewards? I have my guesses .

IF a separate company is formed to run/own/operate the stadium, then I don't see how that impacts any existing shareholders or board members of GTFC as an organisation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 115
MuddyWaters
September 7, 2016, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

I'm willing to be corrected but I think Mr Fenty has sold his stake in Topcon.

Correct in every detail Barra.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 115
mimma
September 7, 2016, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Will it have undresoil heating so that the ice for the skaters can be melted quickly so we can then play football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 115
barralad
September 7, 2016, 3:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimslaa

IF a separate company is formed to run/own/operate the stadium, then I don't see how that impacts any existing shareholders or board members of GTFC as an organisation.

THIS:- Surely the words "Separate company to run/operate/own the stadium" suggests just that...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 115
grimsby pete
September 7, 2016, 3:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
If I have got this right,

It will take one year for the stadium to be built but it will not be ready for three years,

So that's another two years of Defraitas and the nimby's moaning on about it,

I think I will hibernate for the next three years and wake up when the stadium is open and ready for our 1st game,

I might even buy a season ticket.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 115
Golden fox
September 7, 2016, 3:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Sounds closer than we've ever been before ( even though that's not very) let's hope our shiny new stadium comes to fruition this time and we can bask back in the glory of The Championship or maybe even the EPL . UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 115
barralad
September 7, 2016, 3:55pm
Mariners Trust

I do understand your issues but I'm looking at national food/drink retailers not yet involved in the area such as Frankie and Bennys who I feel sure will be the sorts of companies to be targeted. Once one comes onboard then others tend to follow. I'm no expert in retail but looking at local provision of retail outlets such as Bradley Cross Roads where you have Spar on one corner, the Co-Op on another and Morrisons half a mile up the road there must be an element of competition to get a slice of the pie (no pun intended) that creeps in. The other thing I nowhere near fully understand is what is available to the council in the way of funding to persuade companies to invest here-football stadium development or not. What I do know is that North East Lincs needs jobs and those who will come to the area as a result of the increase in investment in the wind power industry need leisure facilities to improve their quality of life. Multi national companies such as Holiday Inn have rigourous processes in place to decide whether it is worth their while putting a hotel in an area. There must be positive signs out there...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Announcement re Stadium

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.