6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Caesar
September 2, 2016, 8:47am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
John Fenty has responded to the story in the GT:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/fenty-we-will-not-rush-vote/story-29676900-detail/story.html

Warning therefore on the advert bombardment.

He basically says the club will wait till we have all the facts to respond, trust him and don't panic.

I think the big issue is not once does he say the club will consult with fans to discuss how to respond.  Also after a summer debacle involving B teams in the trophy, supporter liason being the wife of a director and announcng the position via facebook group, and most recently the Mighty fiasco I don't know how much I trust him and the club to respond in a suitable manner.

I suppose this might not be a surprise considering hs published comments on them before but he doesn't suggest that the introduction of B teams would be a red line or reassure fans in any sense regarding that.  I get the idea that we should wait for all the facts before judging but when the EFL have ignored fans views so clearly and seem not to care they have buit up such a level of distrust I think any proposal they make we will always be suspicious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
Marinerz93
September 2, 2016, 9:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Caesar
John Fenty has responded to the story in the GT:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/fenty-we-will-not-rush-vote/story-29676900-detail/story.html

Warning therefore on the advert bombardment.

He basically says the club will wait till we have all the facts to respond, trust him and don't panic.

I think the big issue is not once does he say the club will consult with fans to discuss how to respond.  Also after a summer debacle involving B teams in the trophy, supporter liason being the wife of a director and announcng the position via facebook group, and most recently the Mighty fiasco I don't know how much I trust him and the club to respond in a suitable manner.

I suppose this might not be a surprise considering hs published comments on them before but he doesn't suggest that the introduction of B teams would be a red line or reassure fans in any sense regarding that.  I get the idea that we should wait for all the facts before judging but when the EFL have ignored fans views so clearly and seem not to care they have buit up such a level of distrust I think any proposal they make we will always be suspicious.

Trust John Fenty, a man who voted for B teams to be allowed in the JPT,

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
RichMariner
September 2, 2016, 11:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Caesar
I think the big issue is not once does he say the club will consult with fans to discuss how to respond.

This.

Apart from the obvious joke that he creates by saying we should 'trust' him, why is it up to 'him' to decide?

It's not.

It's up to us - the fans - and Fenty is merely our mouthpiece.

He should add information where possible, or bring in his business sense to potentially play devil's advocate to ensure a healthy debate is had, but ultimately a decision like this, which affects our club directly, should be taken by the FANS.

So I'd like Fenty to tell us just exactly how he's consulting with us, and once he's done that I'd like him to share with us what he plans to do or say on behalf of GTFC when he returns a report, or votes, or whatever.

That's how it should work and I'm absolutely copulated off that I even have to write this because it's like page 1 of the democracy book.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
FishOutOfWater
September 2, 2016, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RichMariner

This.

Apart from the obvious joke that he creates by saying we should 'trust' him, why is it up to 'him' to decide?

It's not.

He should add information where possible, or bring in his business sense to potentially play devil's advocate to ensure a healthy debate is had, but ultimately a decision like this, which affects our club directly, should be taken by the FANS.

So I'd like Fenty to tell us just exactly how he's consulting with us, and once he's done that I'd like him to share with us what he plans to do or say on behalf of GTFC when he returns a report, or votes, or whatever.

That's how it should work and I'm absolutely copulated off that I even have to write this because it's like page 1 of the democracy book.

He'll probably be thinking it's all best decided by his political mantra of 'market forces'

Let the strong get stronger and the weak.... well they'll just have to feed off scraps and be thankful for what they get 😕
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 59
GrimRob
September 2, 2016, 12:51pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RichMariner

This.

It's not.

It's not really a democratic institution, though, GTFC is a limited company. The shareholders vote the board once a year, and the board conduct themselves as they see fit to run the company during that year before reporting to shareholders again.  In our case, it happens that one of the board is the largest shareholder, which makes it more like a dictatorship.But even if he wasn't the board can still do what they want within that timeframe.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 59
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2016, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I think Harvey's opening gambit to club owners on this one will need to be at least two weeks in the Caribbean, needs to be much more than a pissup in Portugal.

Let's face it, Mr Fenty and Mr Mullen will do what they want without so much as a doff of their cap to the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
Meza
September 2, 2016, 1:06pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
From the Telegraph in case those that hate adverts.

GRIMSBY Town director John Fenty has assured fans that the club will not vote for or against any plans to radically shake-up the league structure until he has all the facts in front of him.

Every league club has been invited to respond to a series of proposals that, if implemented, will change the face of football in this country.

A winter break, regionalising the bottom two divisions and playing FA Cup ties in midweek are three of the main ideas put forward by the newly-branded English Football League (EFL).

Mr Fenty told the Telegraph: "The club is not in full view of all the facts and it would be wrong to jump the gun to be for or against before proposals are fully understood.

"In consultation with the EFL, our club has consolidated a response with our concerns which we will be submitting.

"The club asks our fans to be patient and, rest assured, it only takes seven clubs out of 72 to be against the final proposals – then they would be defeated.

"It is fully understood there are strong views, particularly against any Premier League intervention into our competition. Most, but not all clubs, share this same view."

Mr Fenty added that the plans had to "overwhelmingly beneficial" to clubs for them to get passed and urged fans not to panic.

Despite the call for calm, some supporters are suspicious of the EFL's proposals.

Many have been vocal in their disapproval of the revamped EFL Trophy, which the Mariners are competing in this season.

The contest involves Premier League academy sides, and features a bizarre format in which drawn group stage games are decided on penalties, with the winner gaining an extra point.

There is a feeling in some quarters that the introduction of Premier League B teams into the Football League is not too far away – but such a move would not happen unless 90 per cent of clubs vote in favour.

Meanwhile, the Mariners Trust said its representative on the board has made the group's objections to the proposals clear.

They too are awaiting more information on the plans.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
bluerose13x
September 2, 2016, 1:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
Too me, there is nothing much wrong with the EFL. If I  where to change things or respond to mooted changes without knowing what has been suggested to the clubs this is what I'd consider....

Extra teams in the EFL? Effectivly upgrade the National League. Bit of a ball ache after working so hard to gain promotion! Equalize promotion and relegation from League 2 so its 3 up and 3 down instead of the current 4 up 2 down. Regionalization? Not fussed/can be perswaded either way.

Midweek FA Cup rounds. Loses more of it's magic. Shove League matches to midweek. FA Cup in midweek makes it similar to League Cup, so in my view if it happens they may as well just get rid of League Cup,

Winter break? Not totally against it. If its planned for over Xmas, Boxing Day and New Years Day matches are a must, must be organized, just play those 2 matches and nothing else. Mid Jan 2 week break, fine. Just total ban all matches. None of these prem clubs going to warm places for money spinning friendly matches on their break.

B Teams or under 21/23 teams are a total no no. Limit squad sizes from Prem teams to a named 25 squad that their able to change 1 or 2 times a season. (do they already do that/have something similar?) Stop prem teams hoarding all the young talent and not ending up progressing them. Say at least 50% under 23/21/18's/reserves Must be available to loan out to EFL teams at no cost to EFL. Prem teams cannot refuse...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
rancido
September 2, 2016, 2:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RichMariner

This.

It's not.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment the question I would add is " How can the fans be united on an issue like this " ? The fans are represented on the Board by the trust and they obviously have expressed their views on this. Unfortunately they are the only local organisation that represents the fans. For " the fans " to have any sway then they must have some kind of organisation that represents them otherwise all you have is loads of voices with no clear message or united opinion.
As much as it is annoying to most fans the fact remains that the EFL is run by representatives from all FL clubs and not by fans organisations. In the unlikely event of any league restructuring leading to the inclusion of so called " B teams " what action can the fans opposed to this take ? You can boycott league games but all that will hurt is the finances of the club you support and some are in such a financial state that you could see your team in administration and all that entails. I can well imagine that their are teams in the non-league sector that would willing exchange places with threatened league teams just for the opportunity to be in the league regardless of the inclusion of B teams.
Don't get me wrong, I am against B teams in the Football League structure but these changes have a nasty habit ( and history eg the Premiersh*t ) of being implemented regardless of what the ordinary fan wants. GTFC could decide not to support any changes but there is the distinct possibility that some teams ( especially those owned by foreigners with no consideration for the leagues history and it's fans) who might think it a good idea. Within the league structure that could amount to a sizeable number , certainly the possibility of more than the 10% required to debate it. If that is the case then who knows what the outcome might be.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
Cloudy
September 2, 2016, 7:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
With Mr Fenty's track record I would certainly not be trusting of his decision making.

He has proved very recently that the only thing that concerns him is £ notes. If the pay off is sufficient I can see JSF raising his arm to say 'aye'.

It will be dressed up and sold to fans but Shaun Harvey is only interested in the financial side of things, history or morals don't matter, nor do fans. He knows best and we are expected to follow.

I fear for the game as we know it I really do
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Restructure of the Football League

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.