This thread currently has 1,839 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
oldun
August 31, 2016, 7:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
from talking to a friend who lives in the midlands who was there. He said we made some customary defensive errors but played some decent stuff when we got it down and passed it. Scott Vernon did very little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chicaneuk
August 31, 2016, 9:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
We didn't look too bad to be honest. Problem was just when they decided to get their head down and pressure us at the back, we seemed to go all weak at the knees and they just walked through to the goal.

We had some good chances and honestly could have had a couple more goals I think so the scoreline was pretty harsh.. but the result was fair.

I've seen far, far worse performances from Town in the last couple of years for sure. I think with a few signings in the right places we could be looking considerably better by the time we reach mid season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
gary_elton
August 31, 2016, 9:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I didnt go... but I'm off on saturday... so dont really care about last night.... it matters not a jot...

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
psgmariner
August 31, 2016, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The £10k win bonus would have been nice.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Garth
August 31, 2016, 9:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
How did Mills play?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
arryarryarry
August 31, 2016, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Garth
How did Mills play?

I watched the game as I was travelling back from down south and took the chance to meet up with an old friend who lives that way and he managed to get free tickets (I wouldn't have paid to watch it).

We started with three centre-halves at the back Pearson, Gowling and Boyce with Andrew and Mills as wing backs.

Disley, Venney and Summerfield the midfielders and Bogle and  Vernon up front.

We played very well passing the ball about for the first 20 minutes and deserved our 1 - 0 lead, but sloppy passing from Disley led to 2 of Walsall goals as well as a mistake from Gowling.

Second half we brought on Bolarinwa, Vose and Chambers for Venney, Bogle and Gowling and again started the half looking bright but Walsall came back at us and more sloppy defending gifted them 2 further goals.

We still created chances and should have done better with at least a couple of them but as the game wore on every time Walsall attacked they looked like scoring.

I was quite impressed by Mills, he looked very good attacking down the right wing and got in some useful crosses but let himself down by letting one of their players get away from him to score but I would put that down to lack of fitness.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Garth
August 31, 2016, 2:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from arryarryarry

I watched the game as I was travelling back from down south and took the chance to meet up with an old friend who lives that way and he managed to get free tickets (I wouldn't have paid to watch it).

We started with three centre-halves at the back Pearson, Gowling and Boyce with Andrew and Mills as wing backs.

Disley, Venney and Summerfield the midfielders and Bogle and  Vernon up front.

We played very well passing the ball about for the first 20 minutes and deserved our 1 - 0 lead, but sloppy passing from Disley led to 2 of Walsall goals as well as a mistake from Gowling.

Second half we brought on Bolarinwa, Vose and Chambers for Venney, Bogle and Gowling and again started the half looking bright but Walsall came back at us and more sloppy defending gifted them 2 further goals.

We still created chances and should have done better with at least a couple of them but as the game wore on every time Walsall attacked they looked like scoring.

I was quite impressed by Mills, he looked very good attacking down the right wing and got in some useful crosses but let himself down by letting one of their players get away from him to score but I would put that down to lack of fitness.

Thanks, seems like the same old defensive problems then. lets hope our defender management get to grips with the problem soon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Tommy
September 1, 2016, 7:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Just watched the highlights on MP.
As arryarryarry says, looks like we knocked it about fairly well and worryingly again gifted some goals to the opposition.

For the first one we give the ball away in the opposition half but for me Gowling dives in on the edge of the box and I've no idea why.
Disley shows his limitations on the ball when he's put under pressure and can't cope, giving Walsall the ball in a dangerous area.
And Gowling gets bullied (as he has been doing all season so far) and shows poor judgement again for the next one and it's in our net again.
4th is quick passing and movement that was too quick and we're too static, and the 5th their guy just beats Mills and finishes.

Most of the highlights are of us paying some decent stuff and creating quite a few chances though. Looked like Bogle showed some good strength and touches again, Mills and Bolarinwa caused them problems down the right, Summerfield played some good balls and Andrew got forward well too.

The highlights don't show Macca having a lot to do apart from the goals. So still a case of, if we can defend better as a team and individually, we'll be a half decent team.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.