Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brian Laws vs. Ivano Bonetti (1996)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 314 Guests

Brian Laws vs. Ivano Bonetti (1996)

This thread currently has 3,740 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
August 29, 2016, 9:12pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Someone I know who is in Majorca at the moment bumped into Brian Laws today, he looks really old now lol - Grey as Philip Schofield!

Anyway I googled him and this came up from about two weeks ago, I can't remember seeing this before.  Ron Atkinson is in it as well, you would of thought it would of been Fish, can't believe they have Chicken in Grimsby!  

[youtube]Bxrk3IFMEKU[/youtube]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
August 29, 2016, 9:45pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

As much as Bonetti was a class player for us and brought the club national attention he actually only played 19 games for Town, in fact he was very much a journeyman as a player switching clubs 15 times.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
lee65
August 29, 2016, 10:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
That day we beat Buckleys WBA 1-0 with Ivano scoring was one of my best BP memories though, fantastically charged atmosphere that day with our ex manager and a number of ex players coming back with a "bigger" team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
gary_elton
August 30, 2016, 8:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Awesome day out....   Bonetti... Grimsby Legend in 19 games....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
oldun
August 30, 2016, 9:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
What an incident that was, I remember it well. Got us some publicity for a while. At times Ivano was magic, but after chickengate it had to end in rears. Lovely to see Mr Bill Carr on there, a true gent and Town through and through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Perkins
August 30, 2016, 9:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
.  Ron Atkinson is in it as well, you would of thought it would of been Fish, can't believe they have Chicken in Grimsby!  ;

I think Atkinson missed the fact we were playing away

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
rancido
August 30, 2016, 10:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Although Brian Laws action was wrong, you could understand why he lost his temper. We had just surrendered a 2 goal lead in an away game and got beaten. Laws was giving the whole team a dressing down and apparently all Bonnetti was worried about was if the club had organised a flight back to Italy for him!
He may have been a brilliant player but he was a chancer and his motives for being at Grimsby were never clear. The club, as well as paying his wages, were also paying for him to stay at Kenwick Park and also for providing a translator. I could never understand why he decided to ply his trade in England , especially at an unfashionable club like Grimsby, when he could have stayed in Italy and done just as well in their lower leagues. He was certainly adored by the fans but I always thought his motives and business involvements ( the consortium that held his players registration ) were always suspect.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
arryarryarry
August 30, 2016, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido
Although Brian Laws action was wrong, you could understand why he lost his temper. We had just surrendered a 2 goal lead in an away game and got beaten. Laws was giving the whole team a dressing down and apparently all Bonnetti was worried about was if the club had organised a flight back to Italy for him!
He may have been a brilliant player but he was a chancer and his motives for being at Grimsby were never clear. The club, as well as paying his wages, were also paying for him to stay at Kenwick Park and also for providing a translator. I could never understand why he decided to ply his trade in England , especially at an unfashionable club like Grimsby, when he could have stayed in Italy and done just as well in their lower leagues. He was certainly adored by the fans but I always thought his motives and business involvements ( the consortium that held his players registration ) were always suspect.

Whilst you may be right, you can't blame a player for doing what's best for himself, I'm sure just about every player tries to get the best contract they can, you have to blame the club for meeting some players barmy demands such as Zhang whatshisname.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Kris2
August 30, 2016, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
He seems like quite an eccentric character he never stayed with one club very long and maybe he just liked having a project or he just saw it as a way to make a name for himself in England and end up with a bigger club though after Grimsby he never really stayed long anywhere else either before he buggered off back to Italy. I guess it's one of those things you always wonder what would have happened if the bust up with Laws never took place.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
rancido
August 31, 2016, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst you may be right, you can't blame a player for doing what's best for himself, I'm sure just about every player tries to get the best contract they can, you have to blame the club for meeting some players barmy demands such as Zhang whatshisname.

I do agree that a professional footballers life is short and they obviously have to get the best deal they. What annoyed me though was Bonnettis indifference to the club after losing away. I got the impression that it wasn't so much the playing for the club that was uppermost in his mind.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brian Laws vs. Ivano Bonetti (1996)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.