Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ouch!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 56 Guests

Ouch!

This thread currently has 2,283 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
StaffsMariner
August 26, 2016, 5:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
A GRIMSBY man has been fined almost £1000 by a court in London for throwing a flare while outside a pub near Wembley Stadium on the day of the Mariners' promotion final
Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....#5KPApGBolLobQuCT.99

They should put the story in the matchday program. It may help deter others knowing how much it could cost them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Teestogreen
August 26, 2016, 6:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
This seems to read that the person whose flare it was and threw it in the first place hasn't been prosecuted - and the person that picked it up and threw it back has been prosecuted.

I've seen films where hand grenades have been returned in similar circumstances and the returner is seen as a hero!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
gtfc82
August 27, 2016, 11:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from Teestogreen
This seems to read that the person whose flare it was and threw it in the first place hasn't been prosecuted - and the person that picked it up and threw it back has been prosecuted.

That's according to the man's defence lawyer, so forgive me if I view it with some scepticism!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
rancido
August 27, 2016, 12:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,559
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from gtfc82

That's according to the man's defence lawyer, so forgive me if I view it with some scepticism!

Exactly and why did he have to throw it twice ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
Teestogreen
August 27, 2016, 5:01pm

Champagne Drinker
So did the person who lit it and threw it in the first place get prosecuted?
Perhaps the first attempt to get rid of it was unsuccessful - resulting in  more successful second attempt?
Just saying .......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Teestogreen
August 27, 2016, 5:06pm

Champagne Drinker
So did the person who lit it and threw it in the first place get prosecuted?
Perhaps the first attempt to get rid of it was unsuccessful - resulting in  more successful second attempt?
Just saying .......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Teestogreen
August 27, 2016, 7:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Anyway - looks like the story has been wiped from the Grimsby Evening Telegraph link on this thread - so there must have been something 'fishy' about it.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Neilo83
August 27, 2016, 9:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
I am the person in that article, there was a lot more to it then the article shows, so I'll tell the facts..

It started like any other away day, me, my 11 year old son and my 18 year old steplad got up in the morning and had bacon butties whilst waiting for my friend (and his child) to pick us up, I made it clear to the 18 year old that it was a "dry car" (although I later found out that he sneaked voddy and coke in a bottle), we set off early and arrived at Stanmore at about half 10, this is where i had my first drink, a little bottle of corona... We then got the tube to Wembley, had a bit of a walk round I wanted the kids to see the sights due to us getting there early...

After we had finished walking round we went to the torch pub, it was a sunny day, bbq was out and kids love the atmosphere, it was also a chance for me to have a few beers, which I always do when I take my lad to games (we was season ticket holders)...

The torch was pretty quiet at first but obviously filled up as the day went on, we was stood on the grass part near quick fit, down to my lad wanting to be where the atmosphere was..

Then all of a sudden a red flare got thrown and landed right next us, it was that close the 18 year old still has the red mark on his trainer, i didn't really think much to it,  i had no opinion of them at the time.. But anyways I picked it up and handed it the guy that threw it our way, he didn't take it off me so without thinking I threw it away (recklessly looking back at the footage (which also shows the guy light it and throw it our way) from the headcam being used by pc Andrew wigley of met police, Google him, seems such a nice chap)  I didn't look at where I was throwing it, stupid and dangerous really but it was definitely an instinct thing...

Anyways nothing got said at the time, then we walked to the ground and whilst outside the turnstile I got approached by a steward who definitely went about his business the wrong way and was very aggressive making my lad cry, I told him to get out my face and he obliged going back into Wembley, however once we got through the turnstiles there was a welcoming committee waiting for me (about 4 stewards) who grabbed me and had my hands up behind my back, a few minutes later the police came in (wigley again, and another) they arrested me for being drunk, throwing a flare in a public area and common assault on a steward (of course I didn't touch him) and this charge got dropped the night before court, leaving just the flare and being drunk charge..

I wasn't drunk I'd only had about 4 pints on top of the bottle of corona...

After me and my solicitor had viewed the cctv of the flare (on the day of court because the cps are terrible at handing evidence over) he advised me to change my plea to guilty which I also agreed with... I also agreed to plea guilty to the drunk charge due to the prosecutor being really understanding and agreeing not to put in for a banning order if I did so, I was already going guilty on the flare charge, what did I have to lose.. Thankfully the court also see sense and realised that I had no previous whatsoever, carried myself well, went to every trial etc and just let me off with a fine...

Just thought I'd clear this up and remind people that the press don't always paint it as it was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Teestogreen
August 27, 2016, 10:59pm

Champagne Drinker
[quote=512]I am the person in that article, there was a lot more to it then the article shows, so I'll tell the facts..

It started like any other away day, me, my 11 year old son and my 18 year old steplad got up in the morning and had bacon butties whilst waiting for my friend (and his child) to pick us up, I made it clear to the 18 year old that it was a "dry car" (although I later found out that he sneaked voddy and coke in a bottle), we set off early and arrived at Stanmore at about half 10, this is where i had my first drink, a little bottle of corona... We then got the tube to Wembley, had a bit of a walk round I wanted the kids to see the sights due to us getting there early...

After we had finished walking round we went to the torch pub, it was a sunny day, bbq was out and kids love the atmosphere, it was also a chance for me to have a few beers, which I always do when I take my lad to games (we was season ticket holders)...

The torch was pretty quiet at first but obviously filled up as the day went on, we was stood on the grass part near quick fit, down to my lad wanting to be where the atmosphere was..

Then all of a sudden a red flare got thrown and landed right next us, it was that close the 18 year old still has the red mark on his trainer, i didn't really think much to it,  i had no opinion of them at the time.. But anyways I picked it up and handed it the guy that threw it our way, he didn't take it off me so without thinking I threw it away (recklessly looking back at the footage (which also shows the guy light it and throw it our way) from the headcam being used by pc Andrew wigley of met police, Google him, seems such a nice chap)  I didn't look at where I was throwing it, stupid and dangerous really but it was definitely an instinct thing...

Anyways nothing got said at the time, then we walked to the ground and whilst outside the turnstile I got approached by a steward who definitely went about his business the wrong way and was very aggressive making my lad cry, I told him to get out my face and he obliged going back into Wembley, however once we got through the turnstiles there was a welcoming committee waiting for me (about 4 stewards) who grabbed me and had my hands up behind my back, a few minutes later the police came in (wigley again, and another) they arrested me for being drunk, throwing a flare in a public area and common assault on a steward (of course I didn't touch him) and this charge got dropped the night before court, leaving just the flare and being drunk charge..

I wasn't drunk I'd only had about 4 pints on top of the bottle of corona...

After me and my solicitor had viewed the cctv of the flare (on the day of court because the cps are terrible at handing evidence over) he advised me to change my plea to guilty which I also agreed with... I also agreed to plea guilty to the drunk charge due to the prosecutor being really understanding and agreeing not to put in for a banning order if I did so, I was already going guilty on the flare charge, what did I have to lose.. Thankfully the court also see sense and realised that I had no previous whatsoever, carried myself well, went to every trial etc and just let me off with a fine...

Just thought I'd clear this up and remind people that the press don't always paint it as it was. [/quote

]Thanks Neilo83 - that clears this up for you. Who threw the flare and why were they not prosecuted (unless they have but it has not been reported) - apparently - is the question? Only the London Met police can answer that I suppose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ouch!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.