Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any names?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 96 Guests

Any names?

This thread currently has 11,805 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
August 25, 2016, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
With the deadline approaching I wonder if anyone has ANY idea who COULD be targets for Town over the next few days.

With an experienced central defender sought maybe someone like Zak Whitbread? He is a free agent as far as I know?

Any others?

Private Message
Mendonca1995
August 25, 2016, 9:56am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Splash the cash and go for Reuben Reid free at the moment I believe and a goalscorer with loads of experience not sure what centre halfs with pace are out there at the moment but if I'm honest I think hursts main targets have gone hope we have no panic signings for eg straker !!! Hopefully he can pull one out the bag ⚫️⚪️

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
acko338
August 25, 2016, 10:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
If there is any credence in today's Telegraph article, then there could be as many as 4 new signings made if players looked at will come across to play for Town.

It also reads as a most serious need for a well experienced centre half to stop the mishaps.

The next 6 days could actually make or break the return to the league as we need to get back to winning ways.

Morecambe looked so bad on day 1, but look where they are now after being tonked by us.

We now need to return to ground level passing that took them apart, suits the current players that we have signed, and take the game higher up the pitch so that errors, if made, do not present goal scoring chances to our opponents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
Superdan147
August 25, 2016, 10:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Not so sure about Reuben Reid, I'd ask questions as to why he has had so many clubs and why he is without one at this stage despite a decent record in recent years? Poor attitude? If so I can't see hurst being interested at all.

Another striker who's without a club (I think) is Jose Baxter, most recently at Sheff Utd so location shouldn't be a massive issue, could we be a possible destination to re-ignite his career after off field problems? Would certainly be a real coup.

As for centre backs, I would suggest that it's going to be difficult to find/sign a good experienced centre back, I think a younger quality One with some pace would be more suitable. It still irks me a little that hurst had a call about Peter Hartley in the summer but didn't follow it up 'as he was still waiting on toto',

Id like to think he is looking at hull city youngsters (like Townsend in the past) to find that young quality player, although the big stumbling block could be hulls lack of squad.

If he finds those 2/3 good players, I think we can have a decent season, if not, I think it could be a long one, so it's vital we make the right signings IMO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
ginnywings
August 25, 2016, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
The nearer we get to the deadline, the more players like Reid will have to lower their sights a little. Hurst says two players have already knocked him back. One of those could be Reid for all we know.

The questions are- if better players than what we have are unavailable to us, do we just bring in more of the same standard? Is the squad big enough now, without any additions? Is there any point in bringing more players in that are much of a muchness?

I suspect we'll have some new signings and i'm just hoping they are players capable of a real impact and improving us straight away. Two or three key signings could make all the difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
Les Brechin
August 25, 2016, 10:31am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Joe Hart, to give James McKeown a bit of competition?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
ClarkyGTFC
August 25, 2016, 11:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

No thanks Les
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
cmackenzie4
August 25, 2016, 11:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC

No thanks Les

Why not? He's head & shoulders above the rest.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
acko338
August 25, 2016, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
it is very rare that names on here finally end up as the squad players signed as Hurst keeps very close to his chest and rightly so.

It would be brilliant if we could dig up another Townsend signing in any of the positions needed, but what sacrifice do we make to fill the vacancies - a young but very promising Championside side player, or an older hand, and either could disrupt team spirit, by wages differentials or attitudes - who would be a manager to make those decisions?

Ched Evans to Chesterfield looks to be paying them dividends with goals on the pitch - one missed perhaps??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 25, 2016, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think we'll sign Dan Druff

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any names?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.