Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sports you've taken part in over the years?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 153 Guests

Sports you've taken part in over the years?

This thread currently has 3,322 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
August 24, 2016, 10:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
It would be interesting to hear what sports fellow fishy posters have taken part in & their achievements over the years.

Distance running
I won the cross country in the Royal Navy out of 241 lads
Grimsby Half marathon (came in the top 10)

Football
Played for Grimsby boys (1980) right midfield
Played for the Royal Navy side in Greece (although I did miss a penalty in the penalty shootout  )
Played in a final whilst at school (1982) Crosby v Old Clee  (lost to a good side in Old Clee 2.1 - although I scored with a header to put us 1 up) this was our first & only loss all season.

Boxing
Boxed for HMS Faslane having 2 bouts and winning them both (1991)
Boxed for the Grimsby Amateur boxing club (the old white hart)
Having 12 bouts for them winning 8 (I got through to the semi finals in the midlands welterweight category) 1994-1996

Adventure Races/Walks
Taken part in the Tough Guy race in 1994 (came in with the elite runners)
3 national peaks (within 24hrs) challenge for the Alzheimer's society
The 3 Yorkshire peaks Ingleborough, Pen-Y-Ghent & Whernside

Also took part in badminton competitions before too, really enjoyed badminton.

What sports have you taken part in then?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
barralad
August 26, 2016, 10:49am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Well I'm afraid my sporting exploits pale into insignificencw besides that lot!

I played football to the dizzy heights of Sunday League Division 5 and ran the first two Humber marathons back in the 80s.
I was interested in cricket but only as the scorer!!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
fishyfanny
August 26, 2016, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Same as you Barra, played to Sunday league div 4, Saturday div 2. One Humber marathon, one half marathon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
cmackenzie4
August 26, 2016, 11:18am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I'm not that fit now Ian due to my job and having a young family taking most of my time, That's great you did the marathons in the 80's too, for all the training I used to do I never did a full marathon. I've promised my son to get fit and do a marathon with him (what have I done!)   I can't go back on my word now so I'll have to do it, I just need to stop eating the cakes and chocolate and I'm sure I'll be fine.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
fishyfanny
August 26, 2016, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
It's a lot of hard work training for a marathon. I was in my 20's when I did mine many years ago, and I said I'd never do it again and never have!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
grimsby pete
August 26, 2016, 7:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Played for school at Football, cricket and athlectics,

Played for Grimsby Boys then Grimsby Juniors and one game for Grimsby A aged 15,

Claim to fame played with Harry Wainman for juniors

Grimsby and District high jump champion 1963,

Then down hill all the way after having a back injury at work,

No serious sport after aged 20, but did try and get fit playing sunday league 3 stone overweight.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
barralad
August 26, 2016, 8:35pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from fishyfanny
It's a lot of hard work training for a marathon. I was in my 20's when I did mine many years ago, and I said I'd never do it again and never have!

I messed my knees up that's for sure. My time for the second was worse than that for my first despite doing loads more training which pi**ed me off to the point I just packed in.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
LH
August 26, 2016, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
Sunday league division 8 with Newtons Athletic with such Fishy legends as lukeo and Rich Broadley. As well as for the Fishy in the two games vs Lincoln at Clee Town and Sincil Bank.

Played internationally for a combined RAF and Royal Signals XI away at the Kenyan Air Force for Wednesday afternoon sports. AFTER the Kenyans had run a marathon they still trounced us by a good few goals. I'll blame the heat and altititude.

Played dozens of other sports in the RAF. Mostly unpopular (in the UK) Olympic sports such as handball and basketball. The only sport I take part in now is a cross between landscape gardening and golf. After the London Olympics I got into running between 5 and 10kms and was getting reasonably good at it before an illness struck and I haven't got back into it since although Mo Farah has again inspired me to blow the dust off my shoes again.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
mariner91
August 26, 2016, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
Only ever really played football, played in midfield for Spilsby Town for about 8 years from the age of 15. The last two years I've been at university in London and fancied a change of position so reinvented myself as a striker and somehow ended up in the university first team   so if PH is still looking, I could be persuaded to take a year out from fixing teeth...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Grim74
August 26, 2016, 11:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Football was my main sport until my 20s, I then had a dabble with boxing for a few years training with Chris who was very good I have to say strong lad for his weight I remember.

Carried on keeping fit with various sports into my 30s MMA training, regular on the squash courts at clee leisure, loads of running half marathons etc

And then as I hit my 40s I got into this road biking lark anyway been at it a few years now and some of the rides I've done have been the hardest thing I've ever done well I like a challenge so this will do me for now.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sports you've taken part in over the years?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.