4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
August 18, 2016, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Just been speaking to Burnsy about the new stadium, council meeting on ,31 august to give clear outline of best location and way forward. Things moving on but wouldn't give timeline or detail ..  unfortunately sounds to me this is miles off still loads of hurdles to over come. Howlong do we have to wait ? Plenty of other clubs just seem to crack on while we talk about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
August 18, 2016, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Just been speaking to Burnsy about the new stadium, council meeting on ,31 august to give clear outline of best location and way forward. Things moving on but wouldn't give timeline or detail ..  unfortunately sounds to me this is miles off still loads of hurdles to over come. Howlong do we have to wait ? Plenty of other clubs just seem to crack on while we talk about it

Come on give the club a break the new ground was only announced in 1995 so it's still early days yet.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
Golden fox
August 18, 2016, 1:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Looking at Colchester Utds new stadium the other night I have to admit I was a tiny bit jealous . We are long overdue ours and I hope within the next five years .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Ipswin
August 18, 2016, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Golden fox
Looking at Colchester Utds new stadium the other night I have to admit I was a tiny bit jealous . We are long overdue ours and I hope within the next five years .

Built by and owned by the Colchester Council. Rented to Colchester United and conference, dining, entertainment facilities used by both club and council

Mean while Grimsby Council do everything to stop a new ground.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Cloudy
August 18, 2016, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Golden fox

Really?

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
Mallyner
August 18, 2016, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
I love Blundell Park and I have been going there for just over 60 years now.

However, with the advent of the 2 car household, it has become necessary to park far further away and of course things such as the toilet facilities are not good.

However, looking at the attendance at Colchester the other night and the record of other clubs with new grounds, such as when Darlo got one; a new one will not guarantee bigger gates and some success will need to be involved.

I suppose though that revenue from other things that can't be housed at Blundell Park, will benefit the club. But how much money have we paid consultants over the years and why the hell is everything so slow?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
horsforthmariner
August 18, 2016, 1:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mallyner

However, with the advent of the 2 car household, it has become necessary to park far further away and of course things such as the toilet facilities are not good.

However, looking at the attendance at Colchester the other night and the record of other clubs with new grounds, such as when Darlo got one; a new one will not guarantee bigger gates and some success will need to be involved.

I suppose though that revenue from other things that can't be housed at Blundell Park, will benefit the club. But how much money have we paid consultants over the years and why the hell is everything so slow?

To be fair the Darlo ground was economically unviable and was dreamt up by a madman. If you look at Donny who use to get about 3k and obviously on a bigger scale Hull and Swansea a sensible proposal can work.
In the long term staying isn't  an option anyway as Blundell Park is decrepit (and cold).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Bigdog
August 18, 2016, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd be really pleased if we had a larger version of Colchester's stadium. Was really impressed. Starting to hate those characterless bowl-like stadiums now. The view was great even though we were stuck at the end of one side stand. All of the stands seemed quite steep giving the feeling of being close to the action. Even though there wasn't much home support, whatever noise there was seemed to be retained and amplified within the stadium. It was built in a way that you didn't really notice the open corners which were not that open anyway. The pitch was also in superb nick. If the new stadium ever comes to fruition I really hope it doesn't look like those twenty year old artist impressions the club is still using.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2016, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I don't think I will see it in my lifetime and hopefully I have a good few years yet. Basically he is saying we are very close to... the starting point which we were at over 20 years ago when (I thought) we had the site and the "best way forward."

I am sure these things are never as straightforward as the fans think, but the heart sinks when once the "best site is chosen and the best way forward is agreed" we then have the whole saga starting again with objections, planning disputes, legal challenges or whatever else might be thrown at it to kick it into the long grass.

All this assumes that the mystery investor will wait long enough to still be interested.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
moosey_club
August 18, 2016, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Really dont understand how the council seem to always get the blame for this issue....the club cannot and never have been able to afford to buy the land to build a ground on and then build the new ground themselves.
I am a Grimsby Town supporter and if at any point the council would have proposed upping my council tax to support a private enterprise in building a new ground and facility i would have objected. It isnt the council's job to fund a new football stadia, they should support the idea and assist with the planning etc if they feel it is of benefit to the wider community but they also have the wider community and legal due processes to uphold.

Great Coates although initially identified by the council wasnt a great site, it was out of Town for the entire Town to get to, close to the heavy industries and the complications of their disaster planning and on the edge of a village on a greenfield site...NIMBY heaven. Was never going to be an smooth process and the council had to abide by planning processes and as a result the whole thing got tied up...however permission was granted, the club had permission to build but.....they didnt and never had their own money to finance the project otherwise we would be sat in it now complaining about the traffic jam along Great Coates Rd etc.

The club still dont have the money to buy and build their own stadia, they are relying on getting cheap land off the council for part of the proposed PP site, some community tie in with the council for funding and an external developer to gain planning permissions to build houses on another greenfield site.    

The council are now undertaking studies to ensure that when they do recommend a site, which will no doubt involve a change in the local plan, they have the full cache of information to ensure no major objections can be brought.

If the club had been in a position to go themselves and had the ambition to match then we would be already sat in a new stadium...you cannot blame the council alone for 20+ yrs of deliberation on this.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
arryarryarry
August 18, 2016, 2:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

Will it?

I've asked this question many times and cannot remember a definitive answer, if the ground is owned by the Council will not any revenue that is generated apart from directly due to the club go to the Council?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
scrumble
August 18, 2016, 3:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
"The council are now undertaking studies to ensure that when they do recommend a site"

It was NELC that suggested Great Coates, and then insisted on an independent survey to ascertain which would be the best location for a new stadium, which was done at GTFC's expense.
It was NELC that suggested Peakes Parkway. Now they want another survey done to find the best site. How many times is GTFC going to pushed about from site to site.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
Mariner Ronnie
August 18, 2016, 3:40pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I don't know a great deal about this stadium malarkey, but I was out of curiosity driving around comber place/ high rise flats area the other day and thought to myself how big of a land mass that it would be to have a stadium there, and a pro being that it'd definitely give the rejuvenation that the area needs. Although somebody on here may already know the goings on with that land already?  

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
Grim up north
August 18, 2016, 3:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
I've been recently to both Rotherhams and Doncasters new stadiums and for me although Rotherhams at 12,000 is 3000 short of the Keepmoats capacity it still looks miles better and visually bigger. The keepmoat is quite mundane same size concrete bowl whereas the New York loos impressive from the outside as it has smaller stands sweeping round to a larger home side stand .Also it is steeper meaning you appear closer to the pitch. It's a shame that a town the size of ours has been held back from progressing this for so long but we don't appear to have anyone with the vision to take the town as a whole forward. Also we don't want an out of town stadium that's out of footfall to the fans who decide to go last minute.Get it on the Parkway with facilities that make a day out for the whole family.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
topuphere666
August 18, 2016, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
I still have the conoco dream!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
moosey_club
August 18, 2016, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from topuphere666
I still have the conoco dream!!

In this dream is it still Conoco or has the dream caught up with global rebranding and become Phillips 66 ?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
arryarryarry
August 18, 2016, 4:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

In this dream is it still Conoco or has the dream caught up with global rebranding and become Phillips 66 ?  

I didn't know that, I want a new cap then.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
arryarryarry
August 18, 2016, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim up north
I've been recently to both Rotherhams and Doncasters new stadiums and for me although Rotherhams at 12,000 is 3000 short of the Keepmoats capacity it still looks miles better and visually bigger. The keepmoat is quite mundane same size concrete bowl whereas the New York loos impressive from the outside as it has smaller stands sweeping round to a larger home side stand .Also it is steeper meaning you appear closer to the pitch. It's a shame that a town the size of ours has been held back from progressing this for so long but we don't appear to have anyone with the vision to take the town as a whole forward. Also we don't want an out of town stadium that's out of footfall to the fans who decide to go last minute.Get it on the Parkway with facilities that make a day out for the whole family.

They would have to better toilets than at Millmoor.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
jock dock tower
August 18, 2016, 5:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Aaaah, but none of them have wooden stands. Doubt they have Archibald Leitch rooves on the stand either!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
chelseacity
August 18, 2016, 5:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +355
Gold Stars: 9
Got to say that all the new grounds that i have been to the Rotherham ' New York Stadium' takes some beating, for me that would suit GTFC to a tee.  http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/rotherham.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
grimsby pete
August 18, 2016, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I too thought Colchester's ground was really good,

I looked at the pitch and said to Miss Mariner , this is better than going to Braintree.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Ipswin
August 18, 2016, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

I looked at the pitch and said to Miss Mariner , this is better than going to Braintree.

Ploggers is better than Braintree Pete  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
HackneyHaddock
August 18, 2016, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Quoted from jock dock tower
Aaaah, but none of them have wooden stands. Doubt they have Archibald Leitch rooves on the stand either!

I would make it a key design feature of the new ground to have an Archibald Leitch roof or gable on the main stand, preferably with a giant brass fish weathervane on the top.

I also notice that a lot of Scottish grounds (maybe you can help here Jock) have curved terraces behind the goals; would love to see something like that too, with a big, cavernous shed-like roof on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Cloudy
August 18, 2016, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pitch was good, as was Wycombes, stands were ok but the location and organisation was awful. The parking was ample but getting in and out was terrible, the 'bar' was totally insufficient and don't get me started on the pathetic ticketing arrangements. The ground was so far from civilisation ( yes I know it is in Essex) I would be horrified if our new stadium was at say Holton-le-Moor!!!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2016, 8:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete

Spot on Pete.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
heppy88
August 18, 2016, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
I recently read the Alan Buckly book and in that he mentioned how Grimsby should not get a stadium too big for their needs, otherwise any atmosphere is killed off by all the empty seats and stands. There is no guarantee our support will grow with a new stadium. Would'nt it be better for us to play in front of a packed 8 - 9000 seater stadium than a half empty 15,000 seater stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
HackneyHaddock
August 18, 2016, 10:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Quoted from heppy88
I recently read the Alan Buckly book and in that he mentioned how Grimsby should not get a stadium too big for their needs, otherwise any atmosphere is killed off by all the empty seats and stands. There is no guarantee our support will grow with a new stadium. Would'nt it be better for us to play in front of a packed 8 - 9000 seater stadium than a half empty 15,000 seater stadium?

That's a good point, and 15,000, certainly if it's all-seated (I feel like seats show up as looking more empty because they take up more room per absent person) might be too much for League 2/1. If we ever got back into the Championship, then you can always add another 3/4,000 on.  I do also think that it would be nice, as a point of pride, to be able to get a five figure gate, even if it's 10/11,000, which would still keep the ground compact and with safe standing, would keep a good atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Brazilnut
August 19, 2016, 12:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from heppy88

I  agree tooo big could be wrong .....but also thought seeing we are building it surely we could have an upper tier that could just be opened for the bigger games .....even to the extent of roller shutters at front closing off the seats to the pitch which could be decorated so not just looking like blank space

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Tinymariner
August 19, 2016, 1:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from chelseacity
Got to say that all the new grounds that i have been to the Rotherham ' New York Stadium' takes some beating, for me that would suit GTFC to a tee.  http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/rotherham.html

Now that is a nice ground, I would far prefer that to anything that resembles Colchesters ground, bloody soulless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
promotion plaice
August 19, 2016, 7:44am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Brazilnut

I  agree tooo big could be wrong .....but also thought seeing we are building it surely we could have an upper tier that could just be opened for the bigger games .....even to the extent of roller shutters at front closing off the seats to the pitch which could be decorated so not just looking like blank space

Or..........if the roller shutters prove too expensive, order a couple of thousand Mighty Mariner outfits to be placed in the seats
( different sizes of course)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
dapperz fun pub
August 19, 2016, 9:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I think aiming for around 14 k capacity is realistic for us similar to the keepmoat , with better facilities I think more and more would be interested in going. Fully agree about to many empty seats is not good but this is one infrastructure project of a certain size and look this town needs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 19, 2016, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Mallyner

The way I see it really the new stadium doesn't even have to be massive, just expandable, something that if someone coming to invest in a football club see's they will see future possibilities in. I think more new stadiums are starting to be like that now, built with expandable possibility rather than building them massive and hoping for the best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
Perkins
August 19, 2016, 3:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
I think this could well be the answer to the councils problems, but on a larger scale of course. Easily erected almost anywhere every match day by the fans and dissembled at the end of the match. Or if the result isn't to our liking, just burn it.

https://youtu.be/I9qFesxOVwQ

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ray oxby on radio hull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.