grimsby pete
August 18, 2016, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I too thought Colchester's ground was really good,

I looked at the pitch and said to Miss Mariner , this is better than going to Braintree.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Ipswin
August 18, 2016, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

I looked at the pitch and said to Miss Mariner , this is better than going to Braintree.

Ploggers is better than Braintree Pete  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
HackneyHaddock
August 18, 2016, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from jock dock tower
Aaaah, but none of them have wooden stands. Doubt they have Archibald Leitch rooves on the stand either!

I would make it a key design feature of the new ground to have an Archibald Leitch roof or gable on the main stand, preferably with a giant brass fish weathervane on the top.

I also notice that a lot of Scottish grounds (maybe you can help here Jock) have curved terraces behind the goals; would love to see something like that too, with a big, cavernous shed-like roof on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Cloudy
August 18, 2016, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pitch was good, as was Wycombes, stands were ok but the location and organisation was awful. The parking was ample but getting in and out was terrible, the 'bar' was totally insufficient and don't get me started on the pathetic ticketing arrangements. The ground was so far from civilisation ( yes I know it is in Essex) I would be horrified if our new stadium was at say Holton-le-Moor!!!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
KingstonMariner
August 18, 2016, 8:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete

Spot on Pete.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
heppy88
August 18, 2016, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I recently read the Alan Buckly book and in that he mentioned how Grimsby should not get a stadium too big for their needs, otherwise any atmosphere is killed off by all the empty seats and stands. There is no guarantee our support will grow with a new stadium. Would'nt it be better for us to play in front of a packed 8 - 9000 seater stadium than a half empty 15,000 seater stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
HackneyHaddock
August 18, 2016, 10:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from heppy88
I recently read the Alan Buckly book and in that he mentioned how Grimsby should not get a stadium too big for their needs, otherwise any atmosphere is killed off by all the empty seats and stands. There is no guarantee our support will grow with a new stadium. Would'nt it be better for us to play in front of a packed 8 - 9000 seater stadium than a half empty 15,000 seater stadium?

That's a good point, and 15,000, certainly if it's all-seated (I feel like seats show up as looking more empty because they take up more room per absent person) might be too much for League 2/1. If we ever got back into the Championship, then you can always add another 3/4,000 on.  I do also think that it would be nice, as a point of pride, to be able to get a five figure gate, even if it's 10/11,000, which would still keep the ground compact and with safe standing, would keep a good atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Brazilnut
August 19, 2016, 12:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from heppy88

I  agree tooo big could be wrong .....but also thought seeing we are building it surely we could have an upper tier that could just be opened for the bigger games .....even to the extent of roller shutters at front closing off the seats to the pitch which could be decorated so not just looking like blank space

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Tinymariner
August 19, 2016, 1:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from chelseacity
Got to say that all the new grounds that i have been to the Rotherham ' New York Stadium' takes some beating, for me that would suit GTFC to a tee.  http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/rotherham.html

Now that is a nice ground, I would far prefer that to anything that resembles Colchesters ground, bloody soulless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
promotion plaice
August 19, 2016, 7:44am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Brazilnut

I  agree tooo big could be wrong .....but also thought seeing we are building it surely we could have an upper tier that could just be opened for the bigger games .....even to the extent of roller shutters at front closing off the seats to the pitch which could be decorated so not just looking like blank space

Or..........if the roller shutters prove too expensive, order a couple of thousand Mighty Mariner outfits to be placed in the seats
( different sizes of course)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ray oxby on radio hull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.