4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
August 18, 2016, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
Just been speaking to Burnsy about the new stadium, council meeting on ,31 august to give clear outline of best location and way forward. Things moving on but wouldn't give timeline or detail ..  unfortunately sounds to me this is miles off still loads of hurdles to over come. Howlong do we have to wait ? Plenty of other clubs just seem to crack on while we talk about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
August 18, 2016, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Just been speaking to Burnsy about the new stadium, council meeting on ,31 august to give clear outline of best location and way forward. Things moving on but wouldn't give timeline or detail ..  unfortunately sounds to me this is miles off still loads of hurdles to over come. Howlong do we have to wait ? Plenty of other clubs just seem to crack on while we talk about it

Come on give the club a break the new ground was only announced in 1995 so it's still early days yet.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
Golden fox
August 18, 2016, 1:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Looking at Colchester Utds new stadium the other night I have to admit I was a tiny bit jealous . We are long overdue ours and I hope within the next five years .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Ipswin
August 18, 2016, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Golden fox
Looking at Colchester Utds new stadium the other night I have to admit I was a tiny bit jealous . We are long overdue ours and I hope within the next five years .

Built by and owned by the Colchester Council. Rented to Colchester United and conference, dining, entertainment facilities used by both club and council

Mean while Grimsby Council do everything to stop a new ground.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Cloudy
August 18, 2016, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Golden fox

Really?

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
Mallyner
August 18, 2016, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
I love Blundell Park and I have been going there for just over 60 years now.

However, with the advent of the 2 car household, it has become necessary to park far further away and of course things such as the toilet facilities are not good.

However, looking at the attendance at Colchester the other night and the record of other clubs with new grounds, such as when Darlo got one; a new one will not guarantee bigger gates and some success will need to be involved.

I suppose though that revenue from other things that can't be housed at Blundell Park, will benefit the club. But how much money have we paid consultants over the years and why the hell is everything so slow?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
horsforthmariner
August 18, 2016, 1:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,580
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mallyner
I love Blundell Park and I have been going there for just over 60 years now.

However, with the advent of the 2 car household, it has become necessary to park far further away and of course things such as the toilet facilities are not good.

However, looking at the attendance at Colchester the other night and the record of other clubs with new grounds, such as when Darlo got one; a new one will not guarantee bigger gates and some success will need to be involved.

I suppose though that revenue from other things that can't be housed at Blundell Park, will benefit the club. But how much money have we paid consultants over the years and why the hell is everything so slow?

To be fair the Darlo ground was economically unviable and was dreamt up by a madman. If you look at Donny who use to get about 3k and obviously on a bigger scale Hull and Swansea a sensible proposal can work.
In the long term staying isn't  an option anyway as Blundell Park is decrepit (and cold).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Bigdog
August 18, 2016, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd be really pleased if we had a larger version of Colchester's stadium. Was really impressed. Starting to hate those characterless bowl-like stadiums now. The view was great even though we were stuck at the end of one side stand. All of the stands seemed quite steep giving the feeling of being close to the action. Even though there wasn't much home support, whatever noise there was seemed to be retained and amplified within the stadium. It was built in a way that you didn't really notice the open corners which were not that open anyway. The pitch was also in superb nick. If the new stadium ever comes to fruition I really hope it doesn't look like those twenty year old artist impressions the club is still using.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2016, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,645
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I don't think I will see it in my lifetime and hopefully I have a good few years yet. Basically he is saying we are very close to... the starting point which we were at over 20 years ago when (I thought) we had the site and the "best way forward."

I am sure these things are never as straightforward as the fans think, but the heart sinks when once the "best site is chosen and the best way forward is agreed" we then have the whole saga starting again with objections, planning disputes, legal challenges or whatever else might be thrown at it to kick it into the long grass.

All this assumes that the mystery investor will wait long enough to still be interested.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
moosey_club
August 18, 2016, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,181
Gold Stars: 224
Really dont understand how the council seem to always get the blame for this issue....the club cannot and never have been able to afford to buy the land to build a ground on and then build the new ground themselves.
I am a Grimsby Town supporter and if at any point the council would have proposed upping my council tax to support a private enterprise in building a new ground and facility i would have objected. It isnt the council's job to fund a new football stadia, they should support the idea and assist with the planning etc if they feel it is of benefit to the wider community but they also have the wider community and legal due processes to uphold.

Great Coates although initially identified by the council wasnt a great site, it was out of Town for the entire Town to get to, close to the heavy industries and the complications of their disaster planning and on the edge of a village on a greenfield site...NIMBY heaven. Was never going to be an smooth process and the council had to abide by planning processes and as a result the whole thing got tied up...however permission was granted, the club had permission to build but.....they didnt and never had their own money to finance the project otherwise we would be sat in it now complaining about the traffic jam along Great Coates Rd etc.

The club still dont have the money to buy and build their own stadia, they are relying on getting cheap land off the council for part of the proposed PP site, some community tie in with the council for funding and an external developer to gain planning permissions to build houses on another greenfield site.    

The council are now undertaking studies to ensure that when they do recommend a site, which will no doubt involve a change in the local plan, they have the full cache of information to ensure no major objections can be brought.

If the club had been in a position to go themselves and had the ambition to match then we would be already sat in a new stadium...you cannot blame the council alone for 20+ yrs of deliberation on this.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ray oxby on radio hull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.