8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
kamakazebear
August 7, 2016, 7:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
Quoted from eadiee1973
Gas here. Well done Mariners, great result on your return. Good luck for the rest of season.
ps was it only keeper and Gowling in the side from last season?

Bogle and Pearson who came on from the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
Bignic69
August 7, 2016, 8:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Loved that, 2 good goals and a few great chances for it to be more. I thought the Gowling incident was a coming together yesterday but after seeing that he can have no complaints, other than that, what a fantastic day for the club and all connected.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
fleabag1970
August 7, 2016, 8:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Brilliant Team performance , that first 20 was as good as ive seen at BP in years . Jackson has power and pace , Vernon looked very useful , Davies oooozed class and Summerfield ran midfield . I doubt we will come up against much worse this season though but you still have to win . At a guess our Team from last Season would of struggled in that game ... Power , Pace , Passing won us the game imo

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
LH
August 7, 2016, 9:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Another highlight was singing EIEIEIO to the proper words. Waited a long time for that!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
GtfcGarner
August 7, 2016, 9:45am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
I'll put my comment now after letting the ale soak in my stomach from yesterday.. After we lost so many players last year not signing deals and going back elsewhere I felt a little bleak and that things was going to take time to gel and was the new players going to be at the standard of the old ones..

But what I saw yesterday is signs of success for the season starting from the back, Jimmy Mac looks like he was ready and raring to go this season. Both the fullbacks who can put a wicked cross in and both defend which I think will be a major asset this season. The centre halves never looked troubled in the slightest just had to deal with that diagonal ball and knock downs from wingers. McAllister in the hole looks a gem from Hursty and a potential fan favourite, does all the unseen work and let's the footballers play.. Reminds me of a young Craig Disley. Summerfield and Berrett in midfield was just so technically good with the ball I just wonder what York was doing with them both to not draw the best of their ability. The front 3 just linked so so well together it was frightening, Vernon is an intelligent target man and won't score a bundle this year but his link up play is second to none. Both of the wingers/strikers have pace to burn and look to beat the fullback something which gets the crowd excited and will have defences in knots this year!

Woke up with a huge grin on my face at the prospect of being an exciting season albeit we beat a very very poor Morcambe side today which 5/6 wouldn't have flattened us but let's not worry about other teams and enjoy our first year back.. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
EY Mariner
August 7, 2016, 9:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
I can't remember the last time I heard such tremendous noise inside Blundell Park as we did yesterday. It was a wonderful, joyous day and the performance on the pitch invited us to dream a bit more. With the pace and movement we had going forward, we will always give ourselves a chance. I'm still only thinking of survival and anything above that being a bonus, but we can certainly aim higher on that showing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
jimgtfc
August 7, 2016, 10:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I'll put my comment now after letting the ale soak in my stomach from yesterday.. After we lost so many players last year not signing deals and going back elsewhere I felt a little bleak and that things was going to take time to gel and was the new players going to be at the standard of the old ones..

But what I saw yesterday is signs of success for the season starting from the back, Jimmy Mac looks like he was ready and raring to go this season. Both the fullbacks who can put a wicked cross in and both defend which I think will be a major asset this season. The centre halves never looked troubled in the slightest just had to deal with that diagonal ball and knock downs from wingers. McAllister in the hole looks a gem from Hursty and a potential fan favourite, does all the unseen work and let's the footballers play.. Reminds me of a young Craig Disley. Summerfield and Berrett in midfield was just so technically good with the ball I just wonder what York was doing with them both to not draw the best of their ability. The front 3 just linked so so well together it was frightening, Vernon is an intelligent target man and won't score a bundle this year but his link up play is second to none. Both of the wingers/strikers have pace to burn and look to beat the fullback something which gets the crowd excited and will have defences in knots this year!

Woke up with a huge grin on my face at the prospect of being an exciting season albeit we beat a very very poor Morcambe side today which 5/6 wouldn't have flattened us but let's not worry about other teams and enjoy our first year back.. UTM

Good post and agree with most of it. Just out of interest what formation did you think we were playing? You mention Mcallister, Summerfield and Berrett in midfield and then a front 3, I'm guessing being Bolarinwa, Vernon and Jackson. I saw it as a 442 myself with Berrett on the right and Bolarinwa left. Interesting comments about Mcallister, I really rate him but he reminds me more of a Stacey Coldicott type midfielder rather than a young Craig Disley, who was more an attacking midfielder earlier in his career.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
The Singing Fisherman
August 7, 2016, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Great game great atmosphere and all out great day. Enjoyed it throughout. We look to have a lot of pace in the side and the midfield has been improved greatly. Defence looked solid apart from a couple of moments but nether going to be fully perfect in the first game. Reckon Jackson and Vernon will make a quality partnership. Tombola , Jackson and Davies and Gowling the stand out performers for me. Long let it continue. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
HertsGTFC
August 7, 2016, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Worth noting we attracted 6000+ yesterday, the Scunts got 4,636 versus Brizzle

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
Caveman
August 7, 2016, 11:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
6004 ?

Didn't you see John Fenty dragging those five blokes into  the ground
at half time.

They shouldn't count.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.