This thread currently has 16,383 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 6, 2016, 9:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Great performance today from the new look Mariners with only 2 Wembley winners starting today.

First win on the opening day of the season at BP for TEN years.

I'd be rather worried if I was a Morecambe fan as without exaggeration, that could have been 6 or 7 today.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
HertsGTFC
August 6, 2016, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Not seen any preseason this term so overall pleasantly surprised.Firstly well done PH who appears to have brought together a squad of "professional footballers" who want to create stuff.When they came out the first thing that struck me was that they looked physically bigger and as the game went on obviously stronger than last years squad, and there is some real pace in there.  

Thought we dealt with the atmosphere, crowd, occasion? really well and started with real tempo. Once we scored (decent goal BTW) we where unlucky with the one that was cleared off the line and Jackson's effort not to go in 3 - 0 up. Though it has to be said we soaked up some pressure in the last 15 mins but looked well organised in defence. Good save from James on the defensive error.

In the second half we came out with intention and could have bagged a couple more. Thought the lads where blowing a bit up until Ben Davis's great goal which gave them a second wind. Shame about Josh being sent off as despite his lack of pace he was reading the game really well.

James did not have much to do but made a good save when counted on, Ben Davies looks like a good role model pro who clearly can strike a dead ball (wow!) Danny Andrew can attack and defend, Josh & Andy Boyce looked solid. There may be an issue in mid field as based upon today Dis is going to have to do something special to move Summerfield & McAllister.. Berret looked like he was a game or two short of fitness but worked hard. Bollarinwa looks a find and I liked that he looks to get the ball down at every opportunity and works hard on and off the ball, I get why we have signed Vernon as he gives us something different (and could help Omar develop) and Jackson deserved his MOM as he was a handful all day. Subs? Well done to Omar for coming on and working for the team. Shaun played like Shaun and Chambers looked o.k. Also well done to PH for bringing on two attackers after having a man sent off, he could have just packed the mid field.    

So.............Really good start but we will face much better opposition, but based upon today there will be at least 2 sides which worse than us who will finish below us which is all that matters.

Oh yes one thing I forgot thought the atmosphere was great and clearly this help lift the players and make the new lads understand that they have joined a "big club" at this level where pulling on a Town shirt matters.

UTM!!!  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
Rick12
August 6, 2016, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Oh yes one thing I forgot thought the atmosphere was great and clearly this help lift the players and make the new lads understand that they have joined a "big club" at this level where pulling on a Town shirt matters.
Thats what I thought.Good atmosphere today and felt like a traditional proper football club

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
Hertsmariner
August 6, 2016, 11:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
So much to remember today. A beautiful, hot summer's day in Cleethorpes-much too hot for soccer in truth. The players must be 'out on their feet' this evening and about 3-4 kilos lighter! But an afternoon of rich entertainment to savour. Town were outstanding first half-exciting attacking football, and a fine goal from a fine young footballer who worked his socks off throughout (and my MoM, for what its worth). And, like others on here, a special mention for young Bolarinwa, who looks a real 'find' and not least because of a terrific work ethic. The second half was more end-to-end following Town's energetic first 10 minutes or so, but then along came Ben's fantastic free kick. Oddly enough, I watched Dom Vose practising identical deliveries in the warm-up and this is obviously something we'll all be 'spoiled' by this season! Anyway, in summary, just a thrilling opening day for Town and the 6,000 privileged to enjoy it. Thanks to all for making my journey worthwhile-and even the trains were on time! Surprisingly also, the Bristol Rovers fans were in fine voice and friendly mood on the return leg to Doncaster, despite their 1-3 humbling by Townsend et al. Must be the cheerful weather, I suppose.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
jock dock tower
August 6, 2016, 11:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Just settling down to a beer and a scotch back home in Scotland after witnessing such an exciting spectacle at BP today.

A truly class team performance. A Wall of Noise around the ground for most of the game....superb effort from all three stands.

Jackson. Wow. Padraig who?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
LH
August 6, 2016, 11:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
It's taken me a few hours to soak it all in. We knew we were back but the Town lads reminded us in style.

Jackson is quicker than excrement off a shovel. He was frightening me with his pace and I was there to cheer him on. Reminded me of Michael Reddy of ten years ago - kick it to him and he will chase it. If he stays fit (bit of a scare in the first half!) he will be important for us this season. Definitely look at signing him permanently if the performance levels stay the same as today though although we'd have a job on there!

I can't think of any negatives barring a couple of passing howlers in the middle of the park - mostly committed by the same player but I'll let it slide for today - and a red card which I don't think can be argued if the ref does see it as a foul.

I got home and put SSN on to see Paul Hurst's face looking at me. Town were the third top story on this country's best known sports news channel after being neglected for the previous six years. Wait another couple of hours and one of our goals is in a shortlist of four for goal of the day. We are back and it feels so, so good.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
easypeersy
August 6, 2016, 11:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
His name was a shop, his name was a shop!
Luke Summerfield... His name was a shop!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
eadiee1973
August 7, 2016, 12:03am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +176
Gas here. Well done Mariners, great result on your return. Good luck for the rest of season.
ps was it only keeper and Gowling in the side from last season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
toontown
August 7, 2016, 12:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Cracking game, cracking atmosphere and cracking result! Great to see Town get off to a flyer for a change and my doubts about all the changes from last season have certainly been allayed somewhat. Thought jackson was very impressive, and Davies very good also, along with plenty of good performances from all over the pitch. Morecombe look like they will struggle though so we shouldn't get carried away.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
fishyfanny
August 7, 2016, 6:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
I think we could see good things from this team this season. The work ethic was top notch, they all put in a shift. Also, the skill level, passing and movement all much better than last season. Not getting carried away though, as tougher opposition to play yet....Morecambe were a very poor side, and as many have said previously, they will struggle.

Pleased for PH, you could see how much he enjoyed his first win in the league at the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.