MuddyWaters
August 6, 2016, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Marinerz93
When was the last time we won the opening game on a new season with such conviction and ease. Well done lads, great effort and with more fans coming than usual the players didn't bottle a big crowd, so happy right now.

Players who seemed to respond to a crowd - there was also a lot less fear in the ground today, a much better atmosphere for the team to feed off.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Mariner47
August 6, 2016, 5:58pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +24
Sounds absolutely amazing. Really wish I wash there but I'm really pleased we started with a win and a performance. Hopefully this'll be the platform for a good season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Jaws
August 6, 2016, 6:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Very impressed. Thought Jackson didn't get enough protection from ref once he'd been sussed out. Bogle tried a few stupid things and then looked to give up at the end. Davis will be player of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
barralad
August 6, 2016, 6:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
One of the best pre-match atmospheres for a long time. The "Fish" chant after the players came out was spine tingling.
Town started well and could've had three in the first 15 minutes. Morecambe couldn't handle Jackson's pace and on that form Bolly could be Hurst's best signing yet-such pace and willingness to run at players with the ball.
Gowling was magnificent but I thought we looked a little sedentary at the back and on occasion gave the ball away too easily against what wasn't really very good opposition. Macca had little to do but the one on one save after a bad back pass was excellent.
I ran out of superlatives for Vose's goal last week but couldn't even start on how fantastic a strike it was from Davies. No wonder the two of them were doing Paper, Rock, Scissors last week. Great to have options for free kicks after the last six seasons.
Job done 48 points from safety and counting.
Oh and the fans were great throughout...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
Balthazar Bullitt
August 6, 2016, 6:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Lots of positives from today and a cracking atmosphere. Credit to the drummers.
Jackson cause a lot of problems and ran himself into the ground. Thought Vernon did well bringing others in to play particularlyr first half.  Growling second to Jackson for my man of the match looked very comfortable.
Up the football league we go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
Grimbiggs
August 6, 2016, 6:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Good solid start, against a very poor Morecambe side...lots of positives, Berrett superb feet has a deft touch ,quality from Davies. McAllister got stuck in, and never gave up, and the pacy Jackson was impressive up front. Great start and 3rd already UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
Codswede
August 6, 2016, 6:19pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Shout out to the midfield! Berrett and summerfield so clever on the ball and Mcallister a little dynamo in the hole. Bolarinwa on the left will cause a lot of problems too he's an absolute tank!

Quality all round and on today's showing a different class to the team from last year.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Kris2
August 6, 2016, 6:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,627
Gold Stars: 136
Feels like a totally different team to last season they probably need a couple more games to fully gel but there is a decent side in the making.unfortunately not put all names to faces yet so can't comment on every performance. Morecambe I can see why they were tipped for relegation they lack any sort of quality and after going a goal down early resorted to rough bully boy tactics and hoofing so never seemed a threat. Especially that one with the big nose Fleming I think? He was a twit. But Grimsby gave a dominant performance and seemed the only side capable of scoring could have had a couple more with a bit of luck. Jackson had one cleared off the line and Chambers probably should have passed to Bogle who was in a better position instead of shooting from that angle.

Jackson did well got an early goal and ran himself into the ground even when he was clearly tired he was chasing every ball and often getting too many long balls to chase when playing to feet would have been better. Davies scored a fantastic free kick and showed his experience all game. Looked calm and composed on the ball picks out great passes and led by example. Bolarinwa has a lot of pace on him kinda reminds me of Akpa Akpro except he knows how to pass and doesn't run to the corner flag when he gets the ball. Just needed that bit of quality in the finish and maybe rushed chances I think it was the same with Jackson sometimes probably just need to be a bit more composed and take a couple of touches.

Gowling unfortunate with the sending off he worked hard and recovered from a couple of earlier mistakes to have a good game. Andrew was decent everyone did well though I think Boyce and Summerfield will have better games they did improve in the second half but seemed like a bad day at the office at times giving the ball away a lot and fumbling.

Looking forward to them getting a couple more games together and testing against much better opposition.

Referee seemed card happy and was giving bookings and warnings for very petty things. That one linesman had a shocker.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
Rick12
August 6, 2016, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Good  win. My mom would go to Jackson. Quick and always looked a threat. Thought Gowling played well    (felt for him when he got sent off). Got up and read the game well.Other players who I thought who played well and I liked the look of were Mcallister who put himself about well and looked good on the ball and Bolarinwa. Quick and made some good runs . Special mention as well to Davies.Great free kick

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
heppy88
August 6, 2016, 6:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
What an amazing atmosphere in the lower/upper findus and pony, one of the best ive experienced at BP! Town were great today and could have had a few more. Gowling was immense, as were the whole team to be honest. Although hardly troubled McKeown looked assured and confident, catching everything coming his way. I couldnt have wished for a result like this on our return to the FL, backed up by a confident passionate performance and in front of a bumper crowd! Well done to all concerned.UTMM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.