Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It was 50 years ago today ....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 191 Guests

It was 50 years ago today ....

This thread currently has 3,983 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 30, 2016, 7:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
At this time on 30th July 1966 we were more then well on the way to being paralytic after an afternoon of leaping up and down in front of the telly.

We didn't care how it happened but there it was. Even my mother cried about football for the first and only time when Bobby Moore went up to collect the Jules Remi. The sight of the players as they carried the trophy around Wembley will stay with me forever. Sadly all but one of the friends and relations who gathered round our telly that afternoon have now gone .... such is life. Before long we shall lose more of the 1966 heroes too. Will they ever be replaced?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
promotion plaice
July 30, 2016, 7:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I remember watching Alan Ball at BP when he was playing for Southampton, best player on the pitch ( 66 final ) according to some.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
ginnywings
July 30, 2016, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I was 6 years old and can remember my older brothers going ape in the living room before heading off to Meggies and coming back plastered later that night. They went to Taddy's i think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Badger57
July 30, 2016, 8:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
I was just shy of 9th birthday.
The odd thing is the only thing I remember from that day was playing England v W.Germany with my mates on the street outside St.Augustine's church just off Farebrother Street where there wasn't much traffic in those days. England won (unsurprisingly) but that was enough for me to believe it was an omen and we would win in the afternoon! 😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
chelseacity
July 30, 2016, 8:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I watched the game in 1966 in Cambridge St in Cleethorpes, we were so poor my dad hired the TV for the weekend from Huxfords in Grimsby, as it happened in 1963 my grandmother lived in Suggitts lane and i was in her back garden and i heard a roar, i went out to investigate aged 9 and made my way to Blundell Park, a nice man in a white coat opened a gate & let me in, there i was a 9 year old boy on my own watching this football team called Grimsby Town, i have been hooked ever since, & tomorrow on open day i take my 2 year old Grandson wearing his Town shirt on to his first ever visit to Blundell Park, to me Grimsby Town FC & England are my teams, i better not mention my other team down the road, Chelsea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
KingstonMariner
July 30, 2016, 8:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Just too young to remember it (sadly). I doubt it'll happen again in my lifetime due to the shameful waste of resources.

I still haven't found out who E.I. Allio is either, but we were keen to tell him we'd won the Cup.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
July 30, 2016, 8:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
I was also 6 at the time ginny, just moved over from Hull and living in my grandparents guest house on Grant Street Cleethorpes. I vaguely remember dancing in the street afterwards.

Just noticed tonight 21:00 ITV 3           New: 1966 - A Nation Remembers

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
HackneyHaddock
July 30, 2016, 9:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
We will never win the World Cup Again.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Mariner Timsky
July 30, 2016, 9:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Worst thing that ever happened to English football, , , ever since then we've  thought we're good at football!!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Rick12
July 30, 2016, 9:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
At this time on 30th July 1966 we were more then well on the way to being paralytic after an afternoon of leaping up and down in front of the telly.

We didn't care how it happened but there it was. Even my mother cried about football for the first and only time when Bobby Moore went up to collect the Jules Remi. The sight of the players as they carried the trophy around Wembley will stay with me forever. Sadly all but one of the friends and relations who gathered round our telly that afternoon have now gone .... such is life. Before long we shall lose more of the 1966 heroes too. Will they ever be replaced?
Poignant post and well said Ron

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It was 50 years ago today ....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.