This thread currently has 8,670 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 23, 2016, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Not too worried about the scoreline when you think about the quality of the opposition we were playing ( i.e. Billy Sharpe )

Having said that the lack of a big target man was painfully obvious today in my opinion.

Trouble at mill, now that I don't miss.

UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
July 23, 2016, 5:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
3-1 to Sheffield. A true reflection. We were second best. With the 1 up top formation, I cannot see where goals will come from, regardless of who is the 1 up there. We string passes together in midfield but too many in our half. The midfield players have to get forward more. Second half 442 did give us a bigger presence in their half but could not create too much. No threat from wide areas. The new striker looks decent but he is not a target man and cannot head the ball, but he is quick and took up some good positions. Plenty for PH to work on. If only we had a Billy Sharp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
Sigone
July 23, 2016, 5:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
What to make of that...not a lot really, outplayed in every department.  No tempo at all, and it wouldn't of mattered what formation was played when players show a lack of commitment.  Positives...er we can be a lot better than that, that's all i can think of.  Still we are still joint top of the league so that's good bit disappointed by the town fans turn out the ponny looked empty  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Davec
July 23, 2016, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
We do certainly still lack something up front, many crosses went across the box but nobody was there to convert
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
jimgtfc
July 23, 2016, 6:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Don't get the lack of commitment comment at all, we were just outclassed by a better side. Yes we weren't tactically or skilfully good enough but I think to question commitment is an easy cheap shot.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Sigone
July 23, 2016, 6:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
Maybe i should clarify my commitment comment seen as though i didn't do a very good job of it before , dont have a problem with us today when we didn't have the ball they all worked hard.  But when we got the ball no forward movement, no desire to give the guy an angle to pass.  I agree sheff u were very good and seemed to me like they had an extra man.  Still its only pre-season, and i really didn't expect us to really function fully as a unit till 10-15 games in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
AndyGTFC
July 23, 2016, 6:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
As poor as we were, we were completely outclassed by a Sheffield United side that looked impressive and will probably be challenging at the top of League One so it's difficult to judge anything really.

If we play like that in two weeks' time then I'll be concerned, but until then, we're still playing glorified fitness exercises.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
Tommy
July 23, 2016, 6:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Some neat and tidy bits of football that, with Bolarinwa & Browne wide areas, could have got us into some good positions. Berrett isn't a wide player so was a bit one-paced in the first half, not his fault.

Also, I touched on it in another thread but I worry about us at centre half this season. We haven't replaced Toto with another strong and mobile defender. Any time Gowling & Pearson were turned facing our own goal today we looked in trouble. This is going to be our achilles heel as far as I can see. And we'll either get exposed for pace (you could see a 1v1 with Macca coming a mile off as soon we were left 3v3 for their 3rd) regularly or we'll be forced to defend very deep to accommodate this shortcoming.

Ignoring how much we like Shaun Pearson, he couldn't get in our conference side last year but is probably now first choice. And that's through us not signing anyone good enough, not SP improving during his summer holidays.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
SteffiMariner
July 23, 2016, 6:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Gowling looked at fault for all three goals. Another couple of forwards and a centre half still needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
headingly_mariner
July 23, 2016, 6:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
That was really shite, not convinced at all by any of the midfield, they look half decent on the ball, but totally pedestrian. Berret looks the best of him, vose and summerfield. Summerfield can play, but I really hope he has more desire and a little more mobile when the real stuff comes. Liked the look of Jackson, but he didn't really have any support till Bogle came on.
My worries about what I've seen preseason is that we aren't competitive or mobile enough in the middle of the park and we don't score enough goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.