This thread currently has 3,258 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
July 2, 2016, 10:00am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113
Defensive football seems to have the upper hand at the moment. England played four games against teams who parked the bus, but we couldn't defend so it was obvious how to play against us. Leicester won the league playing low-possession football. Wales as far as I can discern have been doing the same, although I stopped watching Euro 2016 once England got knocked out and nothing will bring me back. When I was watching it many of the games I managed to endure were dull because the format of the competition means avoiding defeat at all costs.  If we want a decent tournament EUFA should  have a longer group format that encourages teams to win and less knockout games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 18
RonMariner
July 2, 2016, 10:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
When it was 2-1 to Wales I said to my wife that Belguim would win.

I said that they would get an equaliser, then take it to extra time and win on penalties.

I said I was confident of this after decades of watching these tournaments.

But of course it was decades of watching England, who seem mentally fragile. Wales look to have a different mind set.

I wouldn't put it past them to beat Portugal. I hope so!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
HertsGTFC
July 2, 2016, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Simple for me Wales are getting right a lot that England are getting wrong such as,

- Playing to a system
- Having a specific plan for each game
- An environment where the pressure is lifted and the players loom forward to being part of
- Picking on form and desire rather than reputation
- Integrating works class players (England don't have any BTW) with good players.
- Managing expectation
- Appointing the right manager.

If I am honest after thinking about it all week I reckon that the England players only take a proportion of the blame for another failure and most of it should sit with Hodgson and the FA.

I hope Wales keep going (ouch that hurts) as it may kick the FA into gear.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Golden fox
July 2, 2016, 12:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
We are always focusing on the future aswell instead of the here and now . Let's stop trying to play like other teams - Allardyce or Pullis as manager get organised and cause other teams problems - basic 4-4-2 , Crouch and Caroll up top load then reload cause chaos . Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
grimsby pete
July 2, 2016, 12:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Portugal could win the Euro's without winning a game,

Up to now they have drawn their 3 group games,

Beat 2 teams on pens,

So if they do the same in the semi and final ,

They are champions without winning a game,

Very strange

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
ginnywings
July 2, 2016, 5:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Portugal won 1 game in extra time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
jock dock tower
July 2, 2016, 6:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Got my tickets to fly out to Lyon to watch the game in the Fanzone, and to soak up the atmosphere for a couple of days as well. I've never, ever, seen my country at a major tournament before, and at 62 years of age am unlikely to get that many more opportunities for more, especialy at this stage of the competition, so this is just something I couldn't miss.

Cymru am byth!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
HackneyHaddock
July 2, 2016, 9:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
The question of England's performance isn't just about this squad, but is a 40-year question about how a country of 60 million people with over 100 professional clubs and the most money in world football, underperforms compared to similarly and worse situated countries.

In the last 40 years, the following European countries have better records (Championships won, semis reached) than England:  Germany, Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Turkey, Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Czech, USSR/Russia, Spain.

So, objectively judged, we're not even in the top 12 of European footballing nations.  Add in Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay, and we're not even in the World Top 15.

So, this goes a lot deeper than "Hodgson couldn't inspire the players" or "He should have taken player X/Y" (though both are probably true), because that doesn't explain 50 years of failure and suggests the problem is more structural.

I'm inclined to agree with Forza Ivano in that the structure of the English game produces (on the whole) substandard players who are not technically and intellectually good enough to play anywhere other than in Premier League teams where they are enhanced by top foreign players.  Our players have zero transfer value on the international market and those who may be good enough care more about picking up huge pay packets than about improving their game and expanding their horizons (Tom Ince, Rooney)

So yes, we can talk about getting in a coach on big bucks, or we can think about how we improve our game in the long run so we perform more in line with our size.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
KingstonMariner
July 3, 2016, 1:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Spot on Hackney.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England and Wales

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.