2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
July 1, 2016, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
I know it might not end this way, but how come England looked like Kidderminster and Wales look like Barcelona? Why can't we get the best 11 footballers in our country to gel effectively.
What is the answer to the 64k question?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Golden fox
July 1, 2016, 8:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Because Wales pick 11 players who play as a TEAM , where as England pick the best individual players that are overated and hyped up by the media . I don't even enjoy watching them play and I'me pretty sure most people are the same . Feel sorry for the people who pay good money to go out to these tournaments to watch them , must be misguided loyalty or something . Give me Town anyway . Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
lew chaterleys lover
July 1, 2016, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from buckstown
I know it might not end this way, but how come England looked like Kidderminster and Wales look like Barcelona? Why can't we get the best 11 footballers in our country to gel effectively.

We don't have an England team is the answer. Even in a major knock out competition we managed to change the entire make up of the team for the 3rd group game when we should have done everything to win. The current vogue for resting players who are perfectly fit has got a lot to answer for. We should have an England 1st eleven that plays every game and should only change the team if a genuine injury occurs.

All other players in the squad should be busting a gut to take the place of the man in possession of the shirt, and we should play every player in his natural position where he plays for his club. If two "superstars" are vying for one position in the team play the one in form, and do not find room and disrupt the team for the other "superstar."

Its all common sense really, but our over paid egoistical stars will not play meaningless matches to bond as a team; an "FA approved" manager will bow to pressure from the big clubs to rest players and therefore the cycle will go on endlessly. We do have some great players but judging by Wales' success it might be better all round to get an England team to gel before introducing any more supposed superstars.

All the England friendly matches are meaningless. An endless supply of players never to be seen in an England shirt again, playing different systems and different positions. What is the point?  

Of course you also need a manager that plays the game the right way and has a system that suits the team down to the ground but can adapt if things go wrong in a tournament.

Signed G. Hoddle.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
grimsby pete
July 1, 2016, 10:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If we played 11 players from the championship we would do better,

Well we could not do any worse could we ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
chelseacity
July 1, 2016, 10:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Pete, i agree with you, but i would add Div 1 & Div 2 & National league as well, at least they would play with pride & maybe we would believe in our National team again, because at the moment it's full of male masturbators.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
grimsby pete
July 1, 2016, 10:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from chelseacity
Pete, i agree with you, but i would add Div 1 & Div 2 & National league as well, at least they would play with pride & maybe we would believe in our National team again, because at the moment it's full of male masturbators.

I read today that Rooney is on holiday in the med on a boat that costs £120,000 a week,

He booked this 2 days before the Iceland game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
GrimRob
July 1, 2016, 10:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from buckstown

Wales have been crap for years so you can hardly say they've cracked it because they have had a couple of good years. No doubt they'll be crap again in a couple of years time. They probably won't even qualify for the World Cup.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 18
dapperz fun pub
July 1, 2016, 10:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
We played the same system effectively throughout the qualifiers and most of the friendlies except the Portugal one. Woy decided we should play a new system which clearly failed is point one. Point 2 imo you should only play players in form which means drink water and noble and Carroll were left out for the likes of sterling Wiltshire and Rooney ?? I believe we had the players this championship to really have ago but woy was completely out of his depth. Changing the team for third game was madness it was almost like trying to keep everyone happy regardless of the consequences totally bizarre.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
ginnywings
July 1, 2016, 11:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Weight of expectation has a lot to do with it. Luck plays a part too. Portugal have won 1 game and are in the semi final. England have been shite though, so don't deserve anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
forza ivano
July 2, 2016, 1:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
I don't think there is any solution unless we get lucky with an inspirational manager.the premiershite rules everything. The essential problem is that international knockout football is a game we will never master with our style of play, our premiershite outlook and our insular attitude. We really need a hoddle/Allison intelligent manager with 11 intelligent, continent ally experienced players like hoddle, waddle, dier, Wilkins etc unfortunately with the money being paid in the uk now it isn't going to happen. I am a firm believer that there are good premiership players and good international players. The two may well be completely different animals. Erikkson gets loads of stick but he picked Chris Powell immediately because he thought he could adapt to international football.
There are so many examples of good footballers who because they haven't made it in the premiership are labelled as rubbish as a result. Dennis Sanchez and Borja Valero are two good examples.
In international football you have to be technically excellent, patient, intelligent, able to retain possession if at all possible and the ability to make good decisions without panicking or going hung Ho.bthere are far too few English players who meet this criteria . Delve Ali is like a young Wayne Rooney.good players but a lack of intelligence and a reckless streak make them liabilities when the going gets tough. Contrast them to messi, bale, modric, the juve back 3 etc.
IMHO we need a foreign manager with a clear eye as there are no English contenders, apart from maybe glen hoddle Brendan Rogers, or Sam allardyce
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England and Wales

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.