Rick12
July 1, 2016, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from excusebeef
. People say that relegation can sometimes be a blessing for a football club because they bounce back with added momentum and start a winning habit. It got me thinking, what positives can we take from our 6 year exile and moving forward?

Also gives you the chance to start from scratch again.Sometimes as in life like in football is whats needed and is a good thing

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
punk mariner
July 1, 2016, 4:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +38
Quoted from RoboCod
63-year-old Barry Hayles

I remember someone who'd gone to the game told me our opening goal was the best he'd seen Town ever score.

really?!? they're mad! seem to remember it was a Hegarty cross and Conlon bundled it in from a few yards out. perhaps the build up was better than I remember. I remember we were chanting "we are going up!" after that...how wrong we were. that was the most upbeat Town fans were all season! a poor long range effort went in with no attempt to save it from Conlon and then Hayles ran the show. also there was a minutes applause for Bobby Robson before the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 1, 2016, 4:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43

We put out some far worse teams than that in the past and really that team had enough to stay up but by then we were in a negative spiral and all confidence was gone.

Yes indeed. A negative spiral that began the day of the play off final in Cardiff. But for one silly decision over a manager's worth we could have been in L1 the following day. Instead we started a downward trek to the conference.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Les Brechin
July 1, 2016, 4:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from diehardmariner
Remember that feeling at half-time during the opening game against Cheltenham?  One-nil up and we had absolutely wiped the floor with our hosts.  I, along with many others, were convinced we were going to win the league.

63-year-old Barry Hayles came on and bullied our weak defence all over the place, setting the tone for the rest of the season.  Our lack of fight, spirit and graft was put out there in that second half performance and we never recovered.

I don't recognise the club now from those dark days, especially around November/December 2009.  The lads that Woods brought in gave everything they could but the problems were so deep rooted relegation was on the cards long before we went down.  In hindsight it was just cruel that it took us so long to be put out of our misery.  

I remember the game well. Went to the match on the train with a few friends and on the way back we heard that Norwich had lost 7-1 at home to Colchester just one division above us.

"Cheer up lads, we could be Norwich fans" I said.  

Little did I realise how far apart our teams were going in the near future that day,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Kris2
July 2, 2016, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from fiveallive
Just seeing Matthew Heywood's name sends shivers down the spine.

I'm actually trying to remember who he was he was the only name on the list I didn't recall. I think he was a big tall guy that had all the mobility of a fridge?

There really was some dross. Akpa-Akpro was probably one of our better players and he was one of the most goal shy strikers I've ever seen, Seemed to be able to run to the corner flag from any position on the pitch. Tommy Forecast will never forget him even if he only played like 2-3 games that first game was enough to burn him into memory. Never forget the image of him being lobbed from about 6 yards all he had to do was put his hands up but he did that after the ball went in. How two top flight teams didn't manage to teach him to be a goalkeeper I don't know. Colgan was rubbish too wish we'd kept that lad from Scunny.

So many loan players I can't for the life of me recall Wes Fletcher playing for us.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
July 2, 2016, 8:58am
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete

Never want to go back there,

As you said we have come back stronger and we are looking up not down now,

Goes without saying
I still have a ticket from a League 2 home game 12 years ago against Swansea
Look where they are now - who knows where we'll be in 12 years time?

Reply: 25 - 40
RoboCod
July 2, 2016, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Akpro and Widdowson were both capable players but both very timid. Players not stepping up to the challenge was the main cause of that disastrous spell.
Heywood was also well rated but was just awful for us. A horrible time to be a Town fan as no one seemed to know what they were doing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
ska face
July 2, 2016, 11:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,344
Gold Stars: 820
I knew it was all over when Woods brought in Jamal Shahin, who was literally playing in the Sunday League 2nd division at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
diehardmariner
July 2, 2016, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,088
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from ska face
I knew it was all over when Woods brought in Jamal Shahin, who was literally playing in the Sunday League 2nd division at the time.

Even then he was the best Town player on that ill-fated day in November when Bath embarrassed us.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 2, 2016, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
We will get to see how good Jamie Devit is now as he plays for Carlisle  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The last time we were in league 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.