Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This Cleethorpes Town game......
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 436 Guests

This Cleethorpes Town game......

This thread currently has 2,881 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
July 1, 2016, 11:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
How come it's at the old Linden club?  Surely that's just a field?!!  How can they justify charging people to watch a game in a field?  Surely we can just hop over the fence next to the path of King George Stadium?!

Seems weird that it's not going to be at Bradley, which is an ideal ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
July 1, 2016, 11:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Heisenberg
How come it's at the old Linden club?  Surely that's just a field?!!  How can they justify charging people to watch a game in a field?  Surely we can just hop over the fence next to the path of King George Stadium?!

Seems weird that it's not going to be at Bradley, which is an ideal ground.

Cleethorpes Town are a local football team, this game will benefit them in a huge way, so why would you climb a fence instead of paying which goes towards a good cause?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
ivanosandwich
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
I believe that the Stamford Club (Linden Club) is the new home of Cleethorpes Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
grimsby pete

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
That is their home ground now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
BackHeelTony
July 1, 2016, 11:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Clee town are starting to develop their ground. Think the long term plan is to have something similar to bradley at the linen club site.

I believe planning permission is already in place.

Anyway in answer to your question I would imagine it's a financial decision. Clee will receive all gate receipts at the linden club whereas because bradley is council owned they will get a cut if not all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
GtfcGarner
July 1, 2016, 11:42am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Might just seem like a field at the moment but being part of Cleethorpes Town we've spent days and days of voluntary work to help out and trying to make this the start of something for a local club. Is a few quid going to hurt anyone? Just chip in and enjoy the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
BackHeelTony
July 1, 2016, 11:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Linden club has always been their home, however the ground does not meet requirements to play on the league they're in at the minute so they ground share with grimsby borough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
tintowner
July 1, 2016, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
It has always been their main base. Only the first eleven play their home games at Bradley.

They are in the process of building the ground up at the Linden club. There are a couple of small covered accommodation units, dugouts and pitch perimeter fencing.

With the addition of floodlights, they should then reach the required ground grading for their respective league (NCEL).

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Heisenberg
July 1, 2016, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
I just don't get why anyone would want to get involved with them when we have GTFC here already.  When the game was at Bradley last year they were walking round with a bucket asking for donations towards their new ground, which is fair enough, I like pro-activity, but I just think it's a bit galling really when, admittedly at a much higher level, we're stuck in our rusty dump with no real chance of moving, if we're all honest about it.

If Cleethorpes Town want to better themselves and go through the leagues, then clearly they want to compete with the likes of us one day, which I'm sorry, I just could not be a part of.  It's like Fleetwood Town pleading poverty say just 10-20 years ago (I'm being theoretical here, I have no idea if it was like this or not), and Blackpool fans chipping in to help the cause of their little neighbour as a goodwill gesture - they'd feel pretty down about doing that now, wouldn't they?!

I know I'm gazing into a crystal ball here and it seems quite fanciful that Cleethorpes could rise so high one day, but clearly they'd love to achieve something like that, therefore I can't wish them luck, I just don't get it.  I know most on here will think I'm daft, but that's my stance!

I'd imagine that most people who are involved with Cleethorpes Town probably have zero affection for the Mariners whatsoever.  As far as I'm concerned, what clubs like them get up to is purely a hobby for big kids, so money shouldn't come into it.

I know I'm setting myself up for some abuse here, but please go easy on me!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
KK_DOG
July 1, 2016, 12:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
It's local football. We should do everything to encourage that. Don't see them as rivals. Work together and help each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This Cleethorpes Town game......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.