This thread currently has 1,562 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
KK_DOG
June 28, 2016, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
THE Mariners will travel to 'The Home Of Football' to face 'the oldest team in the world' Sheffield FC in a pre season warm up game on July 9th.

Two men wrote the rules and laws for a new game and founded The World’s First Football Club, Sheffield FC on the 24th of October in 1857.

The south Yorkshire side currently ply their trade in the Evo-Stik League First Division South.

Admission at The Home of Football stadium is:

Adults £8
Children (under 1 £4
Senior Citizens (over 65) £4
Students (please bring card) £4

Kick-off is 3pm.

Read more at http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.u.....#c1LezHh2F791hh1e.99
Logged Offline
Private Message
Youngy
June 29, 2016, 7:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
We played them in pre season in our first year in the Conference I believe, lovely little ground, good pub outside. Very tempted to make the trip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
BottesfordMariner
June 29, 2016, 9:05am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I think i might make the trip. Never been before. The oldest football club in the world is some claim to fame being formed in 1857 (over 20 years before the Mariners)

For others travelling there for the first time please note though, like GTFC, Sheffield FC do not play in their home town/city.   Their current ground is in Dronfield Derbyshire just south of Sheffield towards Chesterfield.

Here's my statto side coming out again...interestingly enough the world's 2nd oldest team is also Sheffield based. Hallam FC were formed in 1860. They do play in Sheffield at the oldest football ground in the world. I suppose its not that strange that the worlds 2 oldest clubs are from the same area as back then who else would you play. It makes sense.  That said what did Sheffield FC do for 3 years until Hallam FC came along?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Chrisblor
June 29, 2016, 10:01am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
As a resident of Sheffield, flipping yesssss

The Coach and Horses outside the ground is an excellent pub run by Thornbridge (an excellent brewery)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
FishOutOfWater
June 29, 2016, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,563
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Youngy
We played them in pre season in our first year in the Conference I believe, lovely little ground, good pub outside. Very tempted to make the trip.

It was the season after that to be honest - Scott & Hurst were in charge by then

Agree though....a very nice setting so could be tempted to go again too!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 6
KingstonMariner
June 29, 2016, 9:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I think i might make the trip. Never been before. The oldest football club in the world is some claim to fame being formed in 1857 (over 20 years before the Mariners)

For others travelling there for the first time please note though, like GTFC, Sheffield FC do not play in their home town/city.   Their current ground is in Dronfield Derbyshire just south of Sheffield towards Chesterfield.

Here's my statto side coming out again...interestingly enough the world's 2nd oldest team is also Sheffield based. Hallam FC were formed in 1860. They do play in Sheffield at the oldest football ground in the world. I suppose its not that strange that the worlds 2 oldest clubs are from the same area as back then who else would you play. It makes sense.  That said what did Sheffield FC do for 3 years until Hallam FC came along?

Sing 'campeones campeones, ole ole ole' for three years?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Harry Haddock
June 29, 2016, 10:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Chrisblor
As a resident of Sheffield, flipping yesssss

The Coach and Horses outside the ground is an excellent pub run by Thornbridge (an excellent brewery)

Agreed, the Coach and Horses is worth a visit (I also live locally)

I believe we won 2-0 last time (Pearson and Eagle ?). Not a bad game for a friendly

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sheffield FC Away Pre Season Friendly

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.