Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Football League Trophy

This thread currently has 24,495 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
June 13, 2016, 2:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from 120790
I can honestly say that this bothers me in the slightest. In fact it is quite a refreshing change to what was otherwise a really rank and meaningless competition.

It will be quite nice to see some of the young talent play from Premier League clubs.

As for the club's vote. Couldn't care less about that either. If we voted against it, we would still have had to accept the overall vote and we would still be playing in the competition anyway.

If I would have asked you at Wembley "would you like to win today and get promoted and play in the Football League, Football League Cup, FA Cup and the new Football League Trophy format - or would you rather remain as a National League Club?", then what do you think your answer would have been.

We are what we are, a powerless lower league club and we have to play in whatever competitions that we have to. It's still football and it is still Grimsby Town Football Club, and that is all that matters to me.

Look guys you click as many red crosses and throw as many insults as you wish. I still have my opinion and that is that.

I have paid up as a life member of the Mariners Trust some years ago, I go to games and so I am a supporter. Now just because my opinion doesn't necessarily agree with yours, doesn't make my opinion any less relevant.

Would I have been happy with the old EFL Trophy format? Yes I would.

Am I any less happy about the new EFL Trophy format? No I am not, I am still happy.

Do I think we will eventually see the EFL changed to include Premier League B teams? No I don't.

So as I see it, this is a lot of people over reacting and getting their knickers in a twist over nowt. As I have said already, if this had been voted in favour prior to our return to the EFL, I would be still over the moon that my beloved Grimsby Town are back in the EFL.

I can remember games in the old Auto Windscreen and JPT Trophy when the attendance was embarrassing, with nobody being really interested until we got to a quarter final game. If I am not mistaken, the lack of interest in this competition even at times made it necessary to keep sections of the ground closed.

I would seriously suggest that we get a grip and look forward to a fantastic and exciting season in the Football League after 7 years of misery (including the relegation season). Oddly enough I am so looking forward to taking my 7 year old son to watch his first ever Football League game.
Reply: 100 - 140
GrimRob
June 13, 2016, 2:06pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Knowing PH he'll treat this with the same enthusiasm as he did the FAT

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 140
IlkleyMariner
June 13, 2016, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,872
Gold Stars: 66
Don't know who Ascend is or whether he/she really exists-if they do, take your head from up your backside and think it through.

Trawler has summarised the position

The Chief Executive of the EFL is a dangerous man and must be stopped.

The GTFC club's position on this is ridiculous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 140
Caesar
June 13, 2016, 2:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Don't know who Ascend is or whether he/she really exists-if they do, take your head from up your backside and think it through.

Trawler has summarised the position

The Chief Executive of the EFL is a dangerous man and must be stopped.

The GTFC club's position on this is ridiculous

Met the poster known as Ascend before the FA trophy final so can confirm they really exist and are a proper Town fan who helped sort me out with a ticket for the game, so no need I think to resort to questioning their motives.  I disagree with them totally on B-teams as think this is a very dangerous precedent and is as others have said simply a wedge to get B-teams into the league, this becomes very clear to me once you look at how swiftly on the heels it has followed the reformating the footbal league proposals with its extra spaces in the league but no mention of who will fill them.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 140
StaffsMariner
June 13, 2016, 2:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
just read this
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/06/football-league-trophy-feature-premier-league-21-teams-201617/

if liverpool can say they dont want to be in it can league 1 and 2 clubs do the same?

Were all aware that Prem clubs already play b teams in the early rounds of the Europa league,league cup and FA cup.
I couldnt give a rats behind about premier league clubs overbuying players so maybe the fa should limit the amount of players a club can stockpile. The retained list for prem teams was released last week and im gobsmacked how many players some of the rich clubs think they need.
Chelsea alone could field 6 teams with suband thats seen as ok. Why not limit total squad size to 50?
How many players have come through the academys and broken into the first teams?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 140
ska face
June 13, 2016, 2:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from 120790

Look guys you click as many red crosses and throw as many insults as you wish. I still have my opinion and that is that.

I have paid up as a life member of the Mariners Trust some years ago, I go to games and so I am a supporter. Now just because my opinion doesn't necessarily agree with yours, doesn't make my opinion any less relevant.

Am I any less happy about the new EFL Trophy format? No I am not, I am still happy.

Do I think we will eventually see the EFL changed to include Premier League B teams? No I don't.

So as I see it, this is a lot of people over reacting and getting their knickers in a twist over nowt. As I have said already, if this had been voted in favour prior to our return to the EFL, I would be still over the moon that my beloved Grimsby Town are back in the EFL.

I can remember games in the old Auto Windscreen and JPT Trophy when the attendance was embarrassing, with nobody being really interested until we got to a quarter final game. If I am not mistaken, the lack of interest in this competition even at times made it necessary to keep sections of the ground closed.

I would seriously suggest that we get a grip and look forward to a fantastic and exciting season in the Football League after 7 years of misery (including the relegation season). Oddly enough I am so looking forward to taking my 7 year old son to watch his first ever Football League game.

So you think it's acceptable that between every representative at every club in leagues 1 and 2, the absolute best solution they could muster to improve the competition is to introduce 16 teams of teenagers from much-loved Prem clubs? I'd suggest it's a lazy, ill-conceived idea from people with no understanding of the people they take money off each week.

I wonder how much thought has been given to the financial benefit of this? Any projections on potential income? Seems to me like someone's sat there and said "they're offering us a million quid to ease in B Teams, let's take it".
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 140
grimps
June 13, 2016, 2:35pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
It's a male masturbation Trophy anyway , and that coming from a fan of a team that's been to two finals.
When I first read this I thought they meant the league Cup , that would have been a urine take
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 140
Codswede
June 13, 2016, 2:42pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Quoted from 120790

Out of interest, what do you think is stopping premier league B teams appearing in the football league?

As far as I can see, the league's governors are very keen on pushing ahead with the idea and it is only supporters' groups and teams with large representation by supporters' groups who are in their way.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 140
ginnywings
June 13, 2016, 2:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Do you know what the Premier League sees when they look at lower league fans? Potential customers who are not putting money into the vast pot of cash they already have. They want it all and we have to stop them. The games hierarchy have already devalued the European Cup by letting in more teams and laughingly calling it the Champions League, when in reality, it can be won by a team that are anything but champions. They have just done it at the Euros by letting in more teams and making it easier to qualify from the group stages. More matches means more money and less chance of the glamour teams flipping it up and going home early. Now they want to introduce a frigging league system to the Football League Trophy to shoehorn in Premier League U21 sides. They can intercourse right off for me and i will fight it all the way. This has taken the shine off promotion and i'm really drunk off right now.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 140
oldun
June 13, 2016, 3:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a separate competition to the League Cup? If so is it needed at all?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football League Trophy

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.