This thread currently has 13,492 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
May 31, 2016, 3:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
In their prime to add to what Hurst has available who would it be and why?

My first inclination would be Pat Glover, a goal scoring machine for Town and Welsh international in what is now the Premier League as we tussled with the big boys at the very top for a period.

[img]http://www.doingthe92.com/images/uploaded/previews/U2P14632.jpg[/img]

He scored 180 goals in 227 games for Town, 47 in one Season I think and 7 in 7 for Wales -I've no doubt his renowned aerial prowess and eye for goal could transfer from that bygone era to wreak absolute havoc in League Two.

But I'm going to go plump with a man I experienced with my own eyes, I took him for granted a bit at first as he was all I had known but as he reached his latter years started to realise what a colossal  figure he was in the centre of the park.

My man will be Paul Groves. Right bang in the engine room of the team I feel he would have the strongest positive impact on the modern day side.

[img]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/1234616-sep-1999-paul-groves-of-grimsby-town-in-action-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QNnFuCoXiW7tMAafSA1COg%2FNsltfITqpmJcmi9lF4EexhmQ4KdqbhcOjozP7SPa6Ig%3D%3D[/img]

We're going to need creativity, guts and guile, more leaders, and someone with a motor on them and he had all these things in abundance. A true box to box player, the likes of which we have rarely seen since.

By heck he could tackle and although not quite Steven Gerrard spraying balls about he did the simple stuff well, rarely misplacing a pass and keeping things purring along nicely.

He popped up in both boxes with either crucial defensive clearances or headed goals and was guaranteed to hit double figures for nearly every campaign. His heading ability was astounding and he at times dragged us to results almost single-handedly -who can forget that crucial leap and goal in front of the Pontoon v Fulham to define our Season just when we needed it most?

When his legs started to go he made a fine central defender so Hurst would have that option (and what an option!) during a crisis at the back but for years that would have been such a waste.

He'd know exactly what kind of balls Bogle would thrive off, would be barking at Arnold (fingers crossed he stays) on what to do and where to be and would feed him brilliantly getting him on the ball to wreak mayhem.

An old pro like Disley would instantly click in the middle there and also Groves would be game wise enough to drop back for critical interventions on the rare occasion our boys at the back have a lapse.

If we were struggling to create he'd charge into the box expecting a little one two Buckley triangle to put us right in the danger zone. The consummate professional, he'd be a massive positive influence and inspiration in the dressing room and on the training pitch. Made of pure granite he would never give Hurst an unwanted selection headache declaring himself out with a girlie 'niggle'!  

He could teach and cajole on the pitch helping our new boys gel and would inspire with his example. He could even do a bit of coaching if Hursty wanted it but I'm talking a younger Groves here.

Who would your pick and why? Remember this might not necessarily be the best player you've ever seen or heard of but one that would best fit in with our remaining squad and help the one that is to be built in the coming League Two campaign.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Grimbiggs
May 31, 2016, 3:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Trevor Whymark, pure class.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 92
Posh Harry
May 31, 2016, 4:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Wow. So many choices!

For me the team is currently missing a box to box midfielder who can motivate the team through actions and words. 3 initially come to mind. Groves, cunnington and joe waters. Really difficult but at a push I would stick joe waters in there. Could score, good tackler, bags of energy and prepared to die for the shirt.

UTFM

Great subject by the way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 92
pontoonlew
May 31, 2016, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 167
Alan Pouton, because nobody in the world can tackle somebody so hard that they score an own goal from the half way line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 92
friskneymariner
May 31, 2016, 4:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
At his best and when his head was in the right place David Nielsen some of his runs were breathtaking.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 92
punk mariner
May 31, 2016, 4:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +38
I've just spent the last 10 minutes genuinely considering this question to the point that I almost convinced myself it could really happen! I concluded that as we currently need a powerhouse in midfield, a younger Groves would be the perfect signing. what a beautiful distraction that was for a few minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 92
moosey_club
May 31, 2016, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from pontoonlew
Alan Pouton, because nobody in the world can tackle somebody so hard that they score an own goal from the half way line.

apart from him of course...  

Mike Lyons for me...i have learnt so many new swear words and insults since he left i would like the opportunity to use them all in his general direction...

I kind of agree with the Groves opening statement, solid, goals, dependable and hardly missed a game through injury or suspension and at a good level of football too....Cockers maybe for his sheer determination and love of the shirt.....Livvo for that hustle and bustle talisman centre forward ......but....i think i may go for ...

Michael Reddy, a true get you out of your seat player the which we havnt seen for quite a while, excites the crowd, terrifies the opposition and just scored goals out of nothing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 92
May 31, 2016, 4:49pm
Guest User
I would be struggling to choose between Dave Gilbert, Shaun Cunnington, Clive Mendonca and Paul Futcher.
Reply: 7 - 92
gtfc98
May 31, 2016, 4:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Groves

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 92
Mrs Doyle
May 31, 2016, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Kev Drinkall the ultimate striker had everything, brilliant in the air, strong on the floor scored goals for fun against quality defenders stolen from us by the canary’s where he shone once again.  

Went on to star at Rangers he actually stayed here for a good long spell best of all he was home grown talent never see the likes of that again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 92
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If You Could Bring Back One Player

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.