1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 29, 2016, 8:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
That's what Hull get for their single goal yesterday and getting back into the PL.

How much of that will filter down to the lower reachers of the FL? Not a lot is my guess. Most of it will go via agents to signing average foreigners who Bruce might gel into a side that can just about hold its PL place for a year or two.

It really is a game of two halves now - the halves and the halve nots.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Garth
May 29, 2016, 8:58am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Just ignore it, their expensive excitement is no greater than ours, just a question of scale
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
Mrs Doyle
May 29, 2016, 9:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
170 million buys you about three or four Foreign stars so no it won't make any difference money wise but maybe a player might be sent on loan not sure they would drop two divisions to join us.

More chance of getting a Scunny player on loan to be honest.

Like it or not loan players are a fact of life and have been good to us in the past, try before you buy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 29, 2016, 9:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
170 million buys you about three or four Foreign stars so no it won't make any difference money wise but maybe a player might be sent on loan not sure they would drop two divisions to join us.

More chance of getting a Scunny player on loan to be honest.

Like it or not loan players are a fact of life and have been good to us in the past, try before you buy.

True enough but I was thinking more of the cash that might have come down the pyramid rather than going abroad. Players like Vardy for instance are great for football in England because all their transfer money stays in our game. It would be nice to see that happen more often.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
HackneyHaddock
May 29, 2016, 10:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
The staggering thing about English football, and the thing that the FA, various leagues and clubs seem either oblivious or indifferent to the fact that the English game is pretty much the only system in World football which is institutionally incapable of producing players good enough to be exported abroad.

We moan about young skilled foreigners coming here and pushing our young players out of teams, but how many English 15-18 year olds are in the academies and youth teams at Ajax, Barcelona, Milan, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid?  Why is no-one in the FA addressing this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
jaymariner
May 29, 2016, 10:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
I think it was £170m for sheff wed. But £120m for hull as they had to surrender parachute payments. Staggering amounts of money though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Manchester Mariner
May 29, 2016, 11:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Destined for a season of being Premier League whipping boys and ultimately relegated with local excitement peaking when United and Liverpool visit.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
Abdul19
May 29, 2016, 12:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215

Very good that!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
rancido
May 29, 2016, 12:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
That's what Hull get for their single goal yesterday and getting back into the PL.

How much of that will filter down to the lower reachers of the FL? Not a lot is my guess. Most of it will go via agents to signing average foreigners who Bruce might gel into a side that can just about hold its PL place for a year or two.

I'm not so much concerned with how much an individual clubs money filters down the FL. What bothers me more is how much of the total Premiersh*t income is distributed amongst the FL. The Premiersh*t was formed through greed and pure self interest amongst the so called " elite clubs " of the then 1st Division. It went against a lot of the principles of the original Football League but was condoned by the FA of the time as " being beneficial to the English National side ".  Gregg Dyke now says it is detrimental to the National side but he was involved in the formation of the Premiersh*t in the first place !! I hate the whole set up, I will never subscribe to Skye Sport and don't watch Premiersh*t football even when it's being shown at my local club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › £170m

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.