5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
May 26, 2016, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Good guy, decent player, but we need to up our standard of players now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
Bradford Mariner
May 26, 2016, 8:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 2
The problem I had with Clay is that, whenever the ball came near him, he was often slow to respond and when we needed to increase the tempo of our play from midfield he usually slowed it down almost to the point of going into reverse.

Maybe a 'good lad' and a 'steady player' but we need better centre midfield players with more pace and vision.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
jonnyboy82
May 26, 2016, 8:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
To compete at the right end in league two paul hurst has got it spot on with craig.

He realises he isnt dealing in the bargain basement next  season and players like craig will do a job in the conference but league football might be a bit much.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
May 26, 2016, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
On the face of it, a very compelling set of stats and an argument i have heard used by a few Clay proponents, but i'm not buying it. No way is Clay that influential a player and if he was, he wouldn't have been released. There were obviously other factors, which are being overlooked. Anyway, it's irrelevant now as he has moved on.

Think the stats show that we didn't have anyone else to do the unglamorous (but necessary) midfield work Clay got through - it usually fell to the already-too-much-expected-of-him skipper to fill the void.
Nothing against Craig who generally put in a solid shift for the team, but I'd be amazed if PH can't find someone who can do that for us in L2 who's (a) quicker, or (b) stronger in the air, or (c) a more creative passer [how many assists for Clay last season?], or (d) got more goals in him.
Ideally - all the above!

This football management lark is a piece of urine (at the computer keyboard), isn't it?  
Reply: 33 - 45
KK_DOG
May 26, 2016, 9:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I quite like looking at these stats for players but of course they don't tell the whole story. Were we not supposed to be having that system installed at Blundell Park that monitored individual players on the pitch. I forget what it was called, or did I just make that up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
diehardmariner
May 26, 2016, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 518
I like Clay, thought he was our best player at times in his first season.  I'm sorry to see him go but in a way pleased because it shows the level of improvement Hurst is looking to make for next season.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
MrsMariner
May 26, 2016, 11:10am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
I too am disapointed to see Craig go. Lots of comments that he wasn't that influential yet during his 2 seasons here he was in the team when we thrashed Gateshead and Alfreton in consecutive games and this season the 7-0 demolition of Halifax and the 5-0 against Altringham. I think he was very underated and I for one will miss him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
golfer
May 26, 2016, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,373
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from KK_DOG
I quite like looking at these stats for players but of course they don't tell the whole story. Were we not supposed to be having that system installed at Blundell Park that monitored individual players on the pitch. I forget what it was called, or did I just make that up?

I think the system was called  " EYES  "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
diehardmariner
May 26, 2016, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from KK_DOG

ProZone?

Good excuse to bring up an excellent article from a few years back https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....anagers-data-winning
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
KK_DOG
May 27, 2016, 9:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Good read.... This bit stuck out for me. Sounds very much Like Paul Hurst.

Martínez, and his chief scouts Reeves and Brown, find the suggestion that they would buy a player because of their numbers pretty funny. "You need to see a player and fall in love with a player," says Martínez. "When you see a player, you'll watch his warm-up, the way he speaks to the referee, the way he speaks to other team-mates after missing a chance, the way he celebrates a goal, the way his team-mates react when he scores. Data might help you narrow the margin of error, but the decision is still a feeling. It's a gut instinct."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Craig Clay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.