Rodley Mariner
May 17, 2016, 5:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from arryarryarry

Has Paul Hurst apologised yet for his childish we have been spoilt outburst?

FFS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 65
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 17, 2016, 5:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from aldi_01
The silence from the biggest naysayers is as embarrassing as many of their outburst have been.

People make mistakes, players have made mistakes, the manager has, they all know that but for those of us who stuck with it, along with the belief the players/manager had its turned out well in the end.

Will those that claim Hurst is tactically inept or has no plan 'B' that they all obsess over apologise? The 2 games it genuinely mattered he had both.

Do I care about the naysayers? Couldn't care less, I lost my interest in many fans after their embarrassing behaviour at Halifax. I just hope for those miserable whiny girl privates that were moaning at half time at Kiddy are enjoying the humble pie...I suspect many won't admit it thoUgh and would rather cut their noses off to spite their faces...

Oh dear. You have clearly demonstrated how much you care less about naysayers by writing a diatribe about them that really should be in chalk on the playground wall.

Just cast your mind back to the morning of the semi-final second leg. How many fans were confident of even getting a draw in normal time in that game when we had failed to score against Braintree and didn't look like scoring in the first leg? Cast your mind back to those games this season where the only tactic seemed to be the long ball to Monkhouse's head and how we looked clueless when that was sussed by any half intelligent opposition.

Now put the two together. Monkhouse was injured. The side had to be changed and had to play in a different way. Result? A result. Plan B by default. Team selection for Wembley? Again no Monkhouse. No long hopeful punt up the left wing. Result? A result.

If anyone has the right to say "I told you so" it is the critics, your naysayers, who had been asking for that very change in selection and tactics for weeks/months, but the change came not by choice but by chance.

I am delighted for the manager. He has been under pressure all season. I think OP put him under even more pressure than normal and it has shown in his body language and his interviews. He works hard. He's signed some good players as well as some poor ones. He's played the percentages and this year he has had the play off luck that he maybe didn't get in previous seasons and who's to say he doesn't deserve it?

But people are entitled to say what they think about what they observe as long as it isn't personal abuse. I hope the Fishy will continue to be an outlet for constructive criticism and that the manager would take it as such.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 65
pontoonlew
May 17, 2016, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

For what it's worth I don't expect anybody to apologise and I hope everybody has and is enjoying it. I just felt compelled to pick you up when instead of acknowledging you were wrong or just ignoring it, started justifying your desire to have him sacked, talking about his mistakes, your preparedness to forgive him and his need to 'up his game' going forward. The day after he'd got us promoted back to the Football League!  

You have the right to criticise him and he has the right to not eulogise about what a wonderful supporter you are, which ultimately is what's annoying you.

Of course most people would like us to up our game. We finished 21 points off the top so we'll obviously need to improve in the league above, it's not exactly an earth shattering suggestion.

You're right it would be nice to have some more praise for the fans, I felt the people who abused him at games and put banners up got more air time on Sunday. Whilst Hurst has every right to stick two fingers up (I would've). The 13k+ fans deserved more praise. Operation promotion wasn't mentioned once, the support all season (and for the last 6 years) wasn't mentioned. There was a quick thankyou which came after the pop at the so called minority.

Just find the atmosphere after such a superb day a bit odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
bluerose13x
May 17, 2016, 5:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
Quoted from arryarryarry

Has Paul Hurst apologised yet for his childish we have been spoilt outburst?

Nope, not yet. But those comments where "misinterpreted" by those who didn't think 3 times before they posted on here.

I feel bridges have been burnt. I'm pleased he's got us where we are and for him to take us forward next season. But I feel there's plenty of disrespect coming from both sides from not only the fans but from Mr Hurst himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 65
MeanwoodMariner
May 17, 2016, 6:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
A thread like this was inevitable. There has been months of absolutely relentless negative comments. People repeating over and over the exact same Hurst out posts at every possible opportunity. Anyone who didn't join in was part of the "rose-tinted specs brigade" or were blamed for our continued non-league status because they were "accepting failure" rather than demanding we kick out the manager. Taking that excrement for so long isn't forgotten overnight.

Many people on both sides may want to simply forget all that now we're up. But perhaps it's worth dwelling on at least a little. Surely there's something to learn? At the very least we've now know that fan abuse does reach and affect the manager and players. Either way I think this will die down pretty soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 17, 2016, 6:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
A thread like this was inevitable. There has been months of absolutely relentless negative comments. People repeating over and over the exact same Hurst out posts at every possible opportunity. Anyone who didn't join in was part of the "rose-tinted specs brigade" or were blamed for our continued non-league status because they were "accepting failure" rather than demanding we kick out the manager.

Many people on both sides may want to simply forget all that now we're up. But perhaps it's worth dwelling on at least a little. Surely there's something to learn.

Going up matters, though you are only as good as your last game. We don't want to be relegation strugglers like Newport or worse still, York. So in that sense it is worth looking back to learn lessons. But looking forward, in L2 we will meet better players and also better managers than we have faced this season. Clearly Mr Hurst has earned the right to give it a go if he wants to. Personally I have some doubts about his team selection and tactics having sufficient flexibility. A lot will depend on his initial player recruitment and how quickly he adapts to L2, it could be a steep learning curve.

If we are to progress then sentiment cannot be any sort of priority. I don't expect to see us tearing up trees in L2 for starters but we do not have unlimited time for big decisions. We have seen what happens if a manager is given too long through misguided loyalty to get things right. The non-chairman has a lot on his plate here to judge what is needed and when. His track record isn't exactly brilliant in this respect. Let's hope his football acumen does not need to be put to the test again.

Perhaps this is over-pessimistic especially at a time when we should all be celebrating, but hey, when in Rome ............

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
Bigdog
May 17, 2016, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Les Brechin
To be fair there are some who have already apologised and admitted they were wrong but there are still quite a few posters who kept banging on about how "We'll never get promoted with this clown in charge" who have been deafening with their silence since Sunday!

Didn't really want to post on this thread, but not sure whether you meant me Les, as I have called Paul Hurst a clown in a post and also a chump. The worst I've posted out of pure frustration. Anyone can read my posts going back to February. I think on the whole I've backed up my frustration with reasoned argument and not what anyone could call abuse. In fact I've defended him at times if anyone wants to read through my posts. I have also posted a couple of times on other threads congratulating him and praising Nathan Arnold since the Final.

I think I'm going to be honest and actually say what I think.

I am over the moon that we've gone up, I really am. Sunday for me was a release of a lot of pent up frustration. I've been on cloud nine since.

I don't get the love in with Paul Hurst though. I get that he is the manager that has got us promoted. I get that he's a decent man, I've posted that too on many occasions. But he hasn't been too complimentary to us the fans over the years, well before the latter part of this season.

I actually think he got very lucky this year. I think we can all accept that whenever Monkhouse has been fit, Hurst has played him. So, Aldershot away 2-0 down at half-time, Monkhouse and Hoban are injured so he was forced to make changes and bring Bogle on and we went on to win, If we hadn't have won there we would have been going to Tranmere on the last day of the season needing a result to even qualify for the play-offs. The same with Braintree away. Monkhouse fit for the first leg, he plays and we were sh1te. Forced to make changes for the second leg due to an injury, we're a different team. Gave Hurst massive respect for the substitutions in that game but we got to that point out of circumstance not planning.

My first post on this site was on 20th of February calling for a midfield three and I've been frustrated that Hurst hasn't seen this for months. Circumstances got him to that point over the past week nothing else. I am not apologising for my opinions nor should anyone else. Abuse is another matter.

Do I think Hurst deserves to manage us next season? On balance, because he got us up, yes. Do I think he's a good manager? Probably not. Do I think he's the new messiah all of a sudden? Certainly not! To be honest I don't think I got it that wrong with most of my posts if anyone wants to take the time to read them again. All of them written out of the love and passion I have for GTFC and wanting the club to achieve great things.

Promotion this year is a massive step, but there's a long way to go yet and no Mariners fan should settle for mediocrity.

Edit.
New season, clean slate..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
Balthazar Bullitt
May 17, 2016, 7:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
And so the summer of love begins ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
Harry Haddock
May 17, 2016, 7:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wouldn't it be an idea to knock this on the head right here and right now.

ALL GRIMSBY TOWN FANS WANTED THE SAME OUTCOME - THANK F**K WE GOT IT.

Some fans OPINIONS were right, some fans OPINIONS were wrong - I defy any fan to say that at 9pm on the evening of Thursday May 5th that they were confident that we would a) beat Braintree and b) beat FGR.

Somehow and in some way, we found the way to get the job done. Wouldn't now be a good time to realise that we are all entitled to have an opinion and stop this 'I was right, you were wrong' shite.

The problem is, once we lose a couple of games next season the same old comments will be posted once again

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
MuddyWaters
May 17, 2016, 7:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Harry Haddock

The problem is, once we lose a couple of games next season the same old comments will be posted once again

Maybe, maybe not - but at least we could give it a rest till then.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Overwhelming feeling of anger

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.