Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?

This thread currently has 9,203 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
UFindusMariner
May 6, 2016, 5:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
We can all agree on one thing, that constantly pumping the ball 50 yards up the pitch will not get us a goal on Sunday. It is tragic that we played the exact same way 3 weeks ago against these, we have one chance and one chance only to put it right, so I am asking what needs to change?

Is it some of the players?
Is it the team shape?
Is it the mentality from the team?
Is it mentality from the manager?

It could well be a combination of all 4.

Personally, and I am sure I have read quite a few agreeing, I would like to see us play with pace in wide areas on Sunday, stretching the pitch and creating more space for our better individuals to play. We know Braintree only have one trick, which they are very good at, with them being so organised off the ball we need to firstly be patient but we need to be brave also, now is a time for our players to step up and be counted. I would like to see a team set up like;

Macca

Tait       Gowling     Toto     Horwood

Clay    Disley   Nolan

Arnold                                  Bogle
                     Podge

Subs: Pearson, Jennings, Pitman, Hoban, Monkhouse.

I think the 3 across the middle would allow us to retain the ball slightly better and give us a chance to overload the middle of the park, Nolan could break from the midfield 3 and support the attack. Bogle and Arnold would have licence to run at the opposition and express themselves, with Horwood and Tait pushing on when the situation is right.

I do believe Hurst needs to change his mentality and to get them fired up for this game, the players needs to take risks and trust their own instincts at times.

I just hope whatever we do we do not repeat last nights performance.

Come on Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
May 6, 2016, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,861
Gold Stars: 42
Bogle may be injured unfortunately.  We have no other decent striker in form, scoring goals.

Hurst is probably too stubborn to change the team and tactics, thereby admitting that he got it wrong last night.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 6, 2016, 5:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
A big problem under hurst has always been our off the ball play, we've never closed down enough, hounded back possession, and players quite statically stick to their positions. Just the overall work rate, and was definitely missing yesterday.

How many of these goals have we seen us concede over the years. We're doing all the hard work in their half, but can't find a way through because there seems to be no one available or making runs, then the opposition cuts through us like a hot knife through butter and scores.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2016, 5:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Clearly from his comments last night the players are having trouble believing.

Can't remember who it was but a few years ago I was listening to a manager saying "belief and desire gets you a long way in the game" we at the moment appear to have a squad of players that have neither.

On March 26th we played Wrexham and that was the start of a run of 10 league games where 30 points where available, we have taken 11 points from this games won one at home, won two away drawn two and lost the rest.

On Sunday we will set up with a 4 - 4 - 2 it won't work and after 70 mins we will get LFL subs. The only hope is that we fluke a goal and they bottle it but form what I have seen of them this term I doubt it.

I have tickets for Sunday and will go and get behind the team as best I can but I am not looking forward to it as I think we will come away with our season being over and what looked like our best opportunity in tatters.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
grimsby pete
May 6, 2016, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Where is Monkhouse ?

You just know he is going to play,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2016, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Do you think this has had an impact this season......... Gowling 32, Disley 34, Horwood 30, Monkey 35 Robertson 32 some key players there all over 30 and at times they look like it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
MeanwoodMariner
May 6, 2016, 5:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
We have to go 3 in the middle. I don't know if it will work but we know for sure 442 doesn't work. Getting it wide doesn't seem helpful given that we're not great in the air and Braintree's defence are. Best hope is to play through them. Are our players good enough? Not entirely sure but may as well try.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
ackomariner
May 6, 2016, 5:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
This is what I would go with, also on another thread. A 4-3-1-2 formation.....

Macca
Tait    Toto   Pearson   East

Clay   Disley   Nolan

Arnold

Podge     Bogle

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
Mrs Doyle
May 6, 2016, 5:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
They must be absolutely buzzing what a fantastic run when you need it.

Hurst is wilting under pressure and as no idea how to beat the part timers.

No motivation the players need to take action themselves for the fans sake.

Not sure we have the beliet anymore  operation promotion seems like a sick joke at the moment. We raised lots of cash but it won't happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
Mariner_09
May 6, 2016, 6:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
           Macca
Tait Toto Gowling Gregor
Jennings Dis Nolan Arnold
       Podge Bogle

Bench: Clay, Pearson, Monkey, JP, Hoban

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Sunday - What Needs To Change?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.