5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
May 6, 2016, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
The judgement of our season simply cannot be had over the next few days. Last night was a new low and I'm absolutely furious with it but acting as if that's it and it's over could be absolutely fatal for us.

We simply cannot sit and have the post-mortem over today & tomorrow. It's difficult to pick ourselves up but just one more time at least, get behind the entire team. Everybody knows my opinion on Hurst & most seem to share it, but let's have that debate when the fat lady sings? Swallow our pride a bit and roar the side on, do our bit just one last time.

If we do lose Sunday then all hell will rightly break loose but let's all try to take a breath, relax and do our best to make the difference on Sunday. This tie could be a completely different one within 5 minutes on Sunday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
cannylad68
May 6, 2016, 9:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I am not a Hurst fan, and suggested he should be replaced 4 season's ago, but we are still in the play offs, 2 goals more than Braintree, or draw and win on penalties will see us through to Wembley. Not a hopeless situation. Maybe some of the Braintree players will be working Sunday morning on double time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2016, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,646
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from pontoonlew
The judgement of our season simply cannot be had over the next few days. Last night was a new low and I'm absolutely furious with it but acting as if that's it and it's over could be absolutely fatal for us.

We simply cannot sit and have the post-mortem over today & tomorrow. It's difficult to pick ourselves up but just one more time at least, get behind the entire team. Everybody knows my opinion on Hurst & most seem to share it, but let's have that debate when the fat lady sings? Swallow our pride a bit and roar the side on, do our bit just one last time.

If we do lose Sunday then all hell will rightly break loose but let's all try to take a breath, relax and do our best to make the difference on Sunday. This tie could be a completely different one within 5 minutes on Sunday.

See the bit above in bold, when do we not do our best on an away trip?

I get what your saying but the first paragraph of your post needs to be said by PH to the players.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Golden fox
May 6, 2016, 9:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
That's a thing I don't agree with how it's been turned around in the last few months that the fans should be the ones lifting the team , we've done our bit and no doubt will at Braintree , it's time for the players to do theirs  . Otherwise more than likely the majority of them will be playing in front of 3 figure gates next season  on a regular basis at clubs like Braintree no disrespect .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
ginnywings
May 6, 2016, 9:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Unfortunately, it looked like the team had given up for the last 20 mins last night. I think they are just at a loss as to how to break them down and don't know what else to do. That's when they need leadership and it isn't forthcoming. We need to play with two wingers on Sunday and just go for it. We will never get through them in the air. We must get behind them on the deck. If we can do that, then we can still prevail.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
pontoonlew
May 6, 2016, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from HertsGTFC

See the bit above in bold, when do we not do our best on an away trip?

I get what your saying but the first paragraph of your post needs to be said by PH to the players.

I totally agree with you.

The point is we can only do our own bit just one last time. We're all entitled to our moan about the game last night but I think writing off the season and have the post-mortem now when in reality we're only 1-0 down is silly. We can rant and rave as much as we like about the season should we lose on Sunday. But for now I think we're best served to keep our cool, snap up those 1,000 tickets and have one last surge towards getting them over the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
denni266
May 6, 2016, 9:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
will be the same on sunday.. hump it long to monkey and pray, everyone can see what we do all the time, a sunday league team would soon suss this out never mind  semi pro`s,, its a one system team we have under  hurst  and its all down to him ,, please go before sunday and dont come back to clear your desk,, we will send it on ,, via monkhouse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
bradzmilne
May 6, 2016, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
The problem is with PH and it always has been... He  is so reluctant to change what he thinks is right. Persisting to play Hoban earlier in the season, not dropping Monkhouse, not playing our best centre half...

However.... He HAS to change the system on Sunday, we have to go out and try to hurt them. I've said a few times, I think us losing 1-0 rather than drawing 0-0 could actually play into our favour. We are at our best when we attack teams, look at Aldershot away, Borehamwood away etc...

I also don't think Braintree fear us and rightly so. So I think they might try and kill the tie off rather than sit and defend the lead. Making it slightly easier to break them down- well in theory anyway.

This tie isn't over, mark my words.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
MeanwoodMariner
May 6, 2016, 10:08am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
Unfortunately, it looked like the team had given up for the last 20 mins last night. I think they are just at a loss as to how to break them down and don't know what else to do.

This was the big worry for me. I knew we might struggle to break them down but I didn't quite expect that complete loss of any hope or ideas in that final 20 mins when I hoped the full time fitness issue might work in our favour.

As potoonlew says, things can quickly change in football. A chance drops to Amond after 10 minutes and suddenly it's all back on. Doesn't look likely I'll admit but no point in assuming we're already out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
1mickylyons
May 6, 2016, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
The only thing that can beat Braintree on Sunday is Braintree it wont be PH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Post-Mortem

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.