Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 199 Guests

Team Selection

This thread currently has 2,704 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
May 5, 2016, 10:38am
Guest User
Macca

Back four of Tait, Toto, Gowling, Horwood. Although I would happily see Pearson and Robertson in there too.

Midfield of Arnold, Nolan, Disley and Monkhouse.

Strikers just have to be Amond and Bogle.

Any arguments from anyone on this?
Biccys
May 5, 2016, 10:37am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Yeah, why is Monkhouse starting against a team that will park the bus at BP? We need pace against these, not predictable tonks up the left channel.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 15
1mickylyons
May 5, 2016, 10:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Not really Ascend though I would rather see Danny East play as he offers more going forward and Pearson would be first name on my teamsheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
Cloudy
May 5, 2016, 11:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
TBH Assends team would be the one I would start with
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
gtfc98
May 5, 2016, 11:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Agree with Ascend. It's been the best team over the course of the season. UTM

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
mariner91
May 5, 2016, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,597
Gold Stars: 260
Monkhouse is a good option provided we get Horwood pushing on to support him, overlap him if need be and we put the ball on the deck. He's more effective on the floor anyway so god knows why we punt it to him so often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
HertsGTFC
May 5, 2016, 11:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Works for me I'll ring Paul now and tell him as he may not realise..........

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
monkeyboy
May 5, 2016, 12:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
No sorry Monkhouse is not good enough end of.!

The rest of the team looks fine, just not Monkhouse - Hoofball to a team that will lap up that sort of play.

NO TO MONKHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE NEEDS TO RETIRE BEFORE THE GAME.!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
moosey_club
May 5, 2016, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Hurst goes nuts and......

Macca

3      Gowling, Toto and Pearson at the back to deal with their lone striker and give better spread of height to combat their set piece      
         threat....
4     Tait, Monky playing wide...Nolan & Dis in the middle...
1     Arnold free role....
2     Amond and Bogle

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Bigdog
May 5, 2016, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The OP will be the side and if we play our best football, it should be enough to take a good lead to Braintree.

But.. They will play 4-5-1 against our 4-4-2. Immediately we give up numerical advantage in the centre of midfield. It creates the same old problem that if we are not at our best, a park the bus side will find it easy against us. We will have to be at our best out wide to give them something to think about or play it early and long to Bogle and Amond in the hope that they create something between themselves. Playing through central midfield will not be an option.

I always wonder with these threads whether 99% of posters always pick a 4-4-2 because our manager has for five years or that is their formation of choice.

I would pull a rabbit out of the hat if I were Hurst and play a 4-3-1-2. Match them up in centre midfield so we can play through there and have Arnold floating about in areas their defenders won't want to go into, and then he would get back behind the ball when we're defending. When defending, the front two cut each of their full backs off, to force them to play from centre half into our midfield three or have to knock it long to their one up front marked by our two monster centre halves. We've got two full backs that like to get forward and with having three in centre midfield one of Disley or Clay would hold to give them that licence.

McKeown

Tait
Nsiala
Gowling
Horwood

Clay
Disley
Nolan

Arnold

Bogle
Amond

That's what I would play but Monkhouse will always be on a Hurst 4-4-2 team sheet.

On another note, at Braintree this season, we drew 0-0 but they did tire for the last twenty minutes and we could have easily scored one or two in that time. It's important for us to trust that our fitness is superior and play a high tempo game from the start. If we can nick an early goal and add another by half time, I seriously can see them conceding more as they will have to try and score themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team Selection

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.