PPMariner
October 31, 2015, 11:38am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from EY Mariner

The season is 46 games, not 19. We have just lost for the first time in 13 games. That is not a crisis. It is a setback, no more, no less. If that makes me some sort of "happy clapper" or whatever term of abuse you or others wish to use, that's fine. I just don't believe in making knee-jerk reactions on the basis of one result, as that is clearly what you are doing no matter how much you try to protest otherwise.

Nonsense; on many fronts. It's been a consistently proffered idea that Paul Hurst does not have the requisite skills to make a side champions. This opinion has not been arrived at overnight; it has not been made as a "knee-jerk" reaction; it has been made many times, at length, by some - including the target of your post - for quite some time.

It is clearly not what he was doing, no matter what you believe otherwise.

Anyway, I'm personally not at all happy with him as our manager and this dis-satisfaction has been growing for a year or more now. Fans or others using below expectation results, consistently, as proof of why he should be trusted/wanted doesn't sit well and never will.

To me, Mr Hurst would probably make a 'nothing much to be grumbled at' manager of an average non-league side.

We aren't the size of, have the support of, have the facilities of, have the budget of - never mind any aspirations or expectations to be - an average non-league side.

Some people have made up their minds about Paul Hurst. Our results tend to back up these thoughts.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
psgmariner
October 31, 2015, 11:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
PPMariner saved me the bother of posting.

WHS

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
DocTower
October 31, 2015, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from psgmariner
PPMariner saved me the bother of posting.

WHS

Your right PSG. , No need for abuse , we've given him long enough to improve but we are stagnating .  Good defensive coach , not a manager to take us to the next level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
lee65
October 31, 2015, 12:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I too am frustrated, but can you blame PH for Amond wasting a golden chance by kicking the ball at the keepers foot when he was practically laid down, and the ref bottling a pen decision?
I agree second half we were poor, I've nothing against the long ball at times, but not much point without a target man who can win a header!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
craigy
October 31, 2015, 12:03pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Quoted from lee65
I too am frustrated, but can you[/b]blame PH for Amond wasting a golden chance by kicking the ball at the keepers foot when he was practically laid down, and the ref bottling a pen decision?[b]
I agree second half we were poor, I've nothing against the long ball at times, but not much point without a target man who can win a header!

No maybe you can't, but he didn't fill me with much confidence last night when he said he's not concerned with us not converting our chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
lee65
October 31, 2015, 12:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Fair point, I'm concerned  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
TobiasLea
October 31, 2015, 12:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +7
I just want to point out how extremely different things look, depending on what stats etc to lean on:

PRO - We went twelve games unbeaten, amazing run!

CON - We only won six of them, and one was in the FA Cup against Harrogate, mostly wins against poor sides.

PRO - We didn't lose to Tranmere or Forest Green, and we beat Gateshead - whom at that point were high up in the table.

CON - We didn't beat Tranmere or Forest Green either.

PRO - We should've been up by at least two goals and we got robbed of a penalty. We got the team right from the beginning, Cheltenham had to adjust.

CON - Cheltenham did adjust, and after this we were very poor. Did not seem to get going at all.

These are just some examples. I often tend to agree with Rob on here, even though he's response is usually bookie-related. Here's my thinking:

I honestly think Paul Hurst is a good manager who cares about the team and this town. Otherwise, I have extremely high doubts as how many solid signings would choose us. The team spirit he manages is for me very important, I think the chances of promotion is much higher which such an united group of players.

I respect and accept that people don't think he's got that little edge that can get us straight up as champions, nor the ability to change the outcome of a match from changing systems etc.

I do think however, that we still should be as united as ever. Of course we were poor for the last 45 last night, but before that we actually were pretty decent, and had some good build-ups, and - not to always be the one blaming the ref, but there's been many of these decisions that has gone the wrong so far this season. We should have had a clear penalty, and if so - I don't think we would've lost whatsoever, almost certain it'd at least be a draw, hopefully three points.

Sacking the manager now, that for me is just plain stupid. We're still in a pretty decent position, we should be at least in the top five, and there's no team that seems so much better than anyone else yet. The next period of games is critical, november needs to be an almost perfect month - and hopefully we'll get a cup run to be proud of too.

To sum it up... We're still in this together, I hope, and we've still got the best strikeforce in the league, and a very good defence too with a great Macca behind. Turning draws into wins would go a long way, and this just isn't entirely up to Hurst who I think gets too much criticism. If the strikers takes their early chances, we'll win most games. The first goal is just ridiculous important for us it seems. Here's to a perfect november, and that we'll be top of the league after beating Lincoln this Christmas. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
October 31, 2015, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from EY Mariner

The season is 46 games, not 19. We have just lost for the first time in 13 games. That is not a crisis. It is a setback, no more, no less. If that makes me some sort of "happy clapper" or whatever term of abuse you or others wish to use, that's fine. I just don't believe in making knee-jerk reactions on the basis of one result, as that is clearly what you are doing no matter how much you try to protest otherwise.

Of course you are right. I detest it when we lose, but it could easily have gone our way - especially if the penalty had been given. We were the better team for long periods of the first half but I was shocked how we couldn't raise our game when they scored.

There is a long way to go yet; I think we all agree there are no outstanding teams this year (including us sadly) and if we get to the play offs we could make it this time.

It always seems the end of the world when you lose an important match, but unless we start plummeting down the table we will have to regroup and get on with it.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
ginnywings
October 31, 2015, 1:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from EY Mariner

PPMariner said it as well as i could have but i'd just like to point out 2 things.

1. I don't abuse anyone on here.

2. I have been consistent in my opinion that Hurst isn't the right man for us going right back to when Scott was sacked. I said at the time, he should have gone too. Nothing has changed my mind since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Save OUR Season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.