Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jeremy Corbyn
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 342 Guests

Jeremy Corbyn

This thread currently has 46,520 views. Print
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 23, 2015, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Wrong. We don't think everybody thinks the same way that we do, though I personally despair at how self-centred and thoughtless lots of people can be.

But hey, if you're happy with hundreds of thousands of children being made homeless due to the latest Tory benefit cuts, more power to you.

The DWP reckons 'just' 330,000 children will be affected by the cap but these numbers don't seem to add up:

https://speye.wordpress.com/20.....-not-scaremongering/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 334
grimps
July 23, 2015, 9:39pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,113
Gold Stars: 46
Hundreds of thousands homeless ??
Ha ha this is why nobody takes any notice of you idiots on the left
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 334
Grim74
July 23, 2015, 9:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer
Wrong. We don't think everybody thinks the same way that we do, though I personally despair at how self-centred and thoughtless lots of people can be.

But hey, if you're happy with hundreds of thousands of children being made homeless due to the latest Tory benefit cuts, more power to you.

The DWP reckons 'just' 330,000 children will be affected by the cap but these numbers don't seem to add up:

https://speye.wordpress.com/20.....-not-scaremongering/

Now I know you are taking the urine! This Joe Halewood is an anti government, professional campaigning yogurt knitter! Whose done is calculations on the back of the Guardian, How can you take anything he says as face value? Certainly not factual dare I say.

I'm sick of hearing all this liberal bleating crap , Please correct me if I'm wrong but are we saying that an average family in Grimsby can ONLY claim up to £20000 in benefits to cover the rent costs to feed and clothe the kids etc???
Is this right? (Not to include council tax that's still thrown in free, free school dinners, and many more)

How many working family's in this town don't get anything like this? which is the equivalent to a salary of about £25000 pre tax,!!
I must be missing something il apologise now then because this can't be right £25000 FFS and the welfare bleaters are in uproar.

I've said before we shouldn't have any situation where it pays to be financially better off on benefits, so if the good honest working people out there on minimum wage are not dropping there kids off at the Barbados charity shop just yet,  then I'm sure we need not to worry about the poor welfare claimants.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 334
Grim74
July 23, 2015, 11:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't have any problems with that link myself? Perhaps you need a different adblocker on your browser?

Regarding your comments about the Labour party taking debt up to £500 million, I assume you mean something different there or there has been a typo because that's a drop in the ocean of the economy? As I noted in my posts in the General Election thread, up to the point where the economic crash occurred in 2007, the debt to GDP ratio was lower under the Labour government than was inherited in 1997 and this despite the fact that there had been considerable investment in schools and hospitals and wages had been increased. The debt ratio for the UK was lower than all of the other G7 countries as well (even if you include the deferred debt from the stupid PFI schemes). Brown wasn't profligate - it's simply not true. Any voter who believed this was misinformed.

I've never quite understood this stuff about the 'New Labour' government or even the Miliband bunch as being 'anti-business'. They didn't raise corporation tax (Osborne is currently engaged in a race to the bottom by cutting it), the New Labour business policies, especially, allowed the financial sector to balloon to ridiculous levels with enormous borrowing by business which ultimately led to the devastating crash back in 2007/08. What is anti business there, I wonder? The Telegraph periodically (before elections) publishes its letters from 'business leaders' (i.e. Conservative Party donors) warning about how terrible the Labour party are. The especially amusing one this time was the letter from "5,000 small businesses" which was actually organised by the Conservative party itself though the report made no mention of this! Absolutely shameful propaganda. Fundamentally, I think the issue is that any support for Unions is seen as anti-business which is utter nonsense of course. The latest attacks on Unions with more punitive legislation come at a time when the level of industrial action is at a historical low - virtually no strikes going on at all so, as with so much from this government, it's just another ideological attack.

I do have to laugh when you praise Osborne. As I've noted elsewhere, he inherited an economy with growth of around 2% following a recession and his austerity led us to the brink of a double-dip recession. We've had the weakest recovery from a recession on record, real wages aren't above levels from 2007 yet (pretty much unheard of in economic history). He borrowed more in 5 years than every Labour government, ever, oversaw a doubling of the national debt (not entirely his fault though his policies were dire) and utterly failed in his plans to eliminate the deficit. He managed to cut the deficit by around half which was actually pretty much what was planned by Brown in his last election! Difference was, of course, that the front loading of austerity has led to the loss of several percent of growth (at the very least). That's something we'll never get back and has cost thousands of pounds for every man, woman and child in the country.

The inflation target is 2% for a very good reason economically so lauding 0% inflation is preposterous (and on the borderline of damaging deflation) and it is down almost entirely to the fall in oil prices which Osborne had absolutely nothing to do with! It's like claiming credit for it being a warm day!

The increase in employment is a good thing to some degree but unfortunately to many of them are not good jobs. A huge rise in the numbers of people in part-time work who want more, underemployment is rife and productivity continues to fall. As noted, wage growth is pretty much non-existent which isn't too surprising when you consider the continued pay freezes on public sector workers. Private sector and public sector wages are linked closely due to the way that the market works so deliberately suppressing one directly affects the other.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Osborne is an economically inept chancellor. Politically astute, no doubt, but to the overall detriment of the country.

Osborne's latest 'emergency' budget was, unsurprisingly, regressive hitting the poorest hardest and giving away to the wealthier of society. You're lauding the rise of the inheritance tax level, something which will benefit the children of just the richest few percent of the population whilst praising cuts which will affect the poorest of workers. Note that many people in work will be worse off under this latest bill. It's all very well and good praising the rise in tax thresholds but, as the IFS noted, the people who benefit most from this aren't the lowest paid, but the wealthy. The associated cuts to tax credits and housing benefits mean that the poorest are worse off. As I note so often, we're the 6th wealthiest country in the world, but you're cheering on policies which impoverish the poor whilst transferring wealth to the better off.

You seem very confused about what the proposed mansion tax was as you're comparing it to inheritance tax? They are entirely different things. A mansion tax was fundamentally a graduated property tax which is actually a very good idea though the particular implementation was a poor idea. Much better to instigate a graduated property tax as found in most developed countries.

The apprentice thing is an amusing one. The funding plans for this are a bit wavy but answer me this, the 3 million number would indicate that around 1 in 10 of the workforce will be in an apprenticeship in the next 5 years. Is this in any way believable? Where are you going to find enough trainers to work with these apprentices? The numbers don't make one jot of sense. Lots of shelf-stacking 'apprenticeships' coming up, I expect. What are the chances that the 'apprenticeships' also come with low levels of wages, eh? Pretty high.

The plans for recouping money from tax avoidance and evasion are ambitious and, frankly, unlikely to come to fruition. Amongst the other cuts to goverment services, HMRC has been hacked right back and it seems improbable that they will have the resources or the expertise to get anywhere near the £5 billion figure in the budget. Time will tell, but don't be surprised if this doesn't materialise. The number of workers at HMRC have been cut by 40% over the past 10 years. Doesn't seem likely to me that cuts in levels such as this can be sustainable.

The rest of your post is just the usual Tory stuff about 'shirkers vs workers'. You seem to imagine that every young person that needs assistance with housing is slacking off or deliberately has kids just to get a home. As with all of these stories you read in the press, they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Sweeping generalisations in the assumptions about the young which also ignores the fact that youth unemployment is 3 times higher than the rate for the general population! Not by choice, most of the time.

[/b]As for the point about removing benefits after the second child, please note that we have a severely aging population. The baby boomers are retiring now and the increase in expected lifespan due to improved health and medicine means somebody is going to need to be looking after them and earning taxes to pay for their pensions. If you try to persuade UK citizens to have fewer children, this implies greater immigration in the future to support the elderly both financially and socially. I'm sure you're all for that[b].

This is a poor argument from you Maringer, you are jusifying paying parents to have extra children they cannot afford.

I wouldn't worry to much about the baby boomers retiring as I'm sure this lot will help out -
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5632/uk_muslim_population_of_26_million_by_2051

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 334
grimps
July 23, 2015, 11:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,113
Gold Stars: 46
The problem is that the left don't seem to understand that most tax payers that are not working for the government don't like to see their hard earned money being spunked up the wall on wasters and spongers.
Why should I get up every morning and go to a job I hate to pay for someone else to stay in bed ?
Why should I pay for someone to have three or four kids with absolutely no plan or intentions of how to pay for them ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 334
Grim74
July 23, 2015, 11:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from grimps
The problem is that the left don't seem to understand that most tax payers that are not working for the government don't like to see their hard earned money being spunked up the wall on wasters and spongers.
Why should I get up every morning and go to a job I hate to pay for someone else to stay in bed ?
Why should I pay for someone to have three or four kids with absolutely no plan or intentions of how to pay for them ?

It's what the left call social justice lol, you may as well bang your head on a wall rather then go asking questions like that on here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 334
ska face
July 24, 2015, 12:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from grimps

But you've absolutely no issue with, say, the likes of Amazon, Google, Apple or Facebook paying relatively intercourse all in tax - not paying their fair share?

I've always thought this kind of thought appeals to bullies. Happy to pick on people worse off than them, but would never dream of looking up at the real problem. Facts and figures on tax avoidance/evasion aren't hard to find, but why do that when you can bully someone on benefits.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 334
Maringer
July 24, 2015, 12:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Yoghurt knitter? Please, let's try to be a bit more grown up than that.

This Halewood chap certainly seems to take it all very seriously with in-depth posts about the figures behind his claims which are based on publicly-available information. On the other hand Iain Duncan Smith has been caught lying many a time (how is it possible that a politician who lied on his CV worm his way into a position of power, I wonder?), and I have to say that I'm very doubtful about the accuracy behind some of the figures coming out of the DWP.

This recent post contains some eye-opening numbers and it is pretty easy to see that if they are close to being correct (they certainly seem feasible from the charts shown), we'll be living in a very different country by this time next year (the new caps kick in 2016):

https://speye.wordpress.com/20.....ide-of-london-alone/

Some of the criticisms of the official figures seem to hold water as a lot of the published stuff is based on the original planned 23k/26k caps which have, of course, now been reduced to 20k/23k.

Of course, one of the things we haven't noted yet in this discussion is that the theoretical savings from the benefit cap are probably not savings at all. Back in 2011, this letter sent from Eric Pickles' office was leaked:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/jul/02/full-text-letter-eric-pickles-welfare-reform

Here's the interesting part:

Quoted Text
Firstly we are concerned that the savings from this measure, currently estimated ay £270m savings p.a from 2014-2015 does not take account of the additional costs to local authorities (through homelessness and temporary accommodation). In fact we think it is likely that the policy as it stands will generate a net cost.

I seem to remember reading that the IFS think it is a net cost as well. I wonder if any organisations have attempted to study the costs to local authorities due to dealing with hardship caused by the benefit cap? Probably not.

As regards your comments about £20,000 (or £23,000 in London) being more than enough to live on, bear in mind that living costs are more expensive in much of the country than up here in Grimsby.

The latest study by Shelter even comes to the conclusion that the latest benefit cap will effectively exclude the poor from much of the south of the country!

http://www.theguardian.com/soc.....-cities-unaffordable

Not too surprising when you consider that average rents in London have reached £1,500 per month which implies families hit by the cap will have to live on £5,000 per year after rent. Imagine trying to live on just 96 quid a week with a few kids down in London. That would need to cover food, transportation, clothing, heating, electricity. Would be a bit of a struggle, I expect, to say the very least.

All down to the utterly broken housing/rental market in this country which no party seems willing to try and repair.

I'll be heading off on holiday in the morning so won't be likely to post much over the next week. I'll look in on the footy side of things but typing is a pain in the bottom on a tablet and I'll have better things to do with my time than bicker on this particular part of the forum!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 334
Maringer
July 24, 2015, 12:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

This is a poor argument from you Maringer, you are jusifying paying parents to have extra children they cannot afford.

I wouldn't worry to much about the baby boomers retiring as I'm sure this lot will help out -
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5632/uk_muslim_population_of_26_million_by_2051

No, it is saying that we will need more taxpayers to pay for the pensions of the ageing and already retired population! I was pretty flipping clear what I was saying, you know. Not rocket science. That was probably the part of that post which there was least to argue about, yet you had a go. Jeeze, Louise.

Well done for randomly bringing Muslims into the thread, by the way. I'm sure there was some sort of point in that hidden in there somewhere (flipping well hidden), though the premise of the article linked is pathetically, comically ridiculous.

I welcome the arrival of another 26 million (snigger) Muslims just as long as they pay the taxes to fund my retirement in the way that my taxes are funding the retirements of those who have already quit work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 334
Maringer
July 24, 2015, 1:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Ha ha ha! Classic Tory propaganda!

Doesn't hold up very well when you look at the actual facts, however:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/apr/06/welfare-britain-facts-myths

Yep, there are always one or two who will try to work the system, but they are in a tiny minority.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if we could cut down on tax evasion and fraud? HMRC reckons the tax gap is currently £34 billion per year (that's tax that should be paid but isn't) and I've seen comments indicating this hopelessly underestimates the true figure.

Rather than hitting the poorest with a few billion of cuts, how about getting the wealthy to pay what they should? There's a thought.

Anyway, signing off now as heading off on holiday in about 8 hours!

Have a fun week, everyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 334
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jeremy Corbyn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.