Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,354 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
April 12, 2015, 8:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Born in Grimsby 1988, went to my first game in 1999 and got a season ticket from 2000 - 2010 before I moved to Devon, miss it and always wear my town shirt at football training and my town wooly hat at work when it's cold. Don't have a 2nd team, only 1 club I support and tell people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
iimariner
April 12, 2015, 8:38pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +13
Born in Wolverhampton - moved to Grimsby when 7 and went to first game in 73.  Moved down south but still elated when we win and downright miserable when we lose.  Proud to be a Mariner and always will be.  UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
St. Pauli
April 12, 2015, 8:52pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Came to Immingham from Germany for some month work in 1992. As I am generally interested in  football, I went to Blundell Park and was caught. Came back several times to watch the Mighty Mariners home & away and at both Wembley Stadiums and of course follow the development over the internet (fishy, live-streams etc.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
barralad
April 12, 2015, 9:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Moved from Brighton to Grimsby in 1966. My first ever game was Brighton v Donny. The match ended 0-0 and it was bloody boring. Put me off football for a year or so. My dad persuaded me to go to the first match of the 68/69 season. We beat Newport 3-0 and I was hooked. Within a month we were drawing 1-1 at home with (then) First division Burnley in the League Cup......Awesome occasion if you were 10 years old....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
TownSNAFU5
April 13, 2015, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
What these many comments from loyal fans show, is that it is vital to get young football fans going to see Grimsby home games at the earliest opportunity.

Once they are hooked as Town fans, they are hooked for live.  This should happen before get dazzled by supporting Premiership teams seen on TV.

The club and/or the Trust should be doing everything possible to get as many young fans involved with supporting Town on match days.  Encouragingly, there seems to be a lot of young girls going to our matches as well now.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
newfootballer
April 13, 2015, 12:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Born in Manchester 1947, played in local football as a kid joined a youth club called Ardwick Lads club eventually moved to Gorton boys club got into Manchester Boys club.

Played at Northumbria boys club, seen b y a Grimsby Town scout then signed for Grimsby Town fc moved in 1965 to Cleethorpes as a junior footballer (thats what we were called in them days"

Got into the first team stayed at GtfC all my carreer which was nearly 400 games and married a Grimsby girl had two girls and have two Granchildren still watch Grimsby Town whenever I can

Still believe we can win the play-offs and get promotion this season.

Dave Boylen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
GYinScuntland
April 13, 2015, 1:59pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
I blame Hitler and Goring.
The Luftwaffe bombed my Mum's family out of South London and they moved North after the war, in the meantime my Dad from Carlisle was doing national service in the RAF based where Dumpcaster airport now is.
Of all the places to meet it was the Crosby in Scunthorpe at a bloody dance night. He asked her for a dance and that was it. Could have been worse as Fred Trueman had asked  previous so I suppose I could have been a bloody Yorkie.
Fast forward a few years and the old man (RIP) being too tight to take us to Spain, buys a caravan on Beacholme.
With being on camp every weekend and all summer holidays I made friends with some locals and one of my friends was going to a match with his dad, he asked my dad if I could go too.
Town won that night in 1972 with a poxy crowd of 20 odd thousand, won some title or other and if I remember right everyone copulated off home and moaned on the fishy.
I was a 12 year old sprog and hooked, my parents took me to the doctor who assured them I would grow out of it.
I didn't grow out of the hayfever either so I'm doubly buggered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
fleabag1970
April 13, 2015, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Started supporting Town in 1980 ........ Why ?

Cause we were brilliant , we had a Team of mostly local lads who gave their all week in week out and it always felt exciting to be going to watch them play because win lose or draw in was always entertaining ...............

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
gytone
April 13, 2015, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Both granddad and dad supported Town, I was born and bred within spitting distance of the market hotel, and have never lived further than a mile away from it, it used to be a great pub. First season I went was Big Lawrie championship winning team so at 7 years old i was hooked, and have been ever since, although my patience has been tested the last few years, particularly this year which ive only seen 7 home games unfortunately. Both my sons support Town although one lives away in Chesterfield so doesn't see them so often and the other is away at uni so for the same reasons he hasn't seen many games. Still love the club and haven't got time for the premiership diving and cheating that goes on, would love to see the club in a new ground and back in the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
arryarryarry
April 13, 2015, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Moved to Gy in 1965, Dad started watching Town when we moved here and he took me to my first game in November 1966 at age 11, hardly missed a home game since even though my dad stopped going in 1972.

Went to the local away games up to the 71/72 season and then went to just about every one that season as I had learnt to drive. Since then I have missed the odd game due to holidays and illness but I can honestly say that I have never missed a home game since Nov. 1966 due to not wanting to be there although these passed 5 years have started to tempt me.

I moved away 20 odd years ago so every home game is an away one for me.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.