Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,423 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
April 11, 2015, 6:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Because I Love feeling deflated, , over and over and over and over again

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
BottesfordMariner
April 11, 2015, 9:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Like many here Town are my home town team.

My earliest memories are living in Barcroft St and the floodlights would light up my bedroom.

I was football mad as a kid (still am tbh). I had a Town shirt in the mid 70's and pestered my mum and dad for ages to let me go to BP. Due to hooliganism they were reluctant.

Neither my mum or dad were from the area so they had no affinity to the club. My dad was a Trawlerman and it was this that brought him to Grimsby in the 60's. He was from Fleetwood and was a Blackpool fan (and Fleetwood). In fact i saw Blackpool and Fleetwood play before i ever set foot in BP. My dad passed away some years ago but i still like Blackpool and Fleetwood and watch them now and again. (sure to get some negs i know)

Anyway they finally gave in and my dad took me to my first Town game in the mid 70's. It was after the club had been relegated to divison 4. Young players were being introduced to the team like Fordy, Kev Moooe, Drinks and the club were shortly to embark on a golden period. They were good to watch and i loved it.

After that first game around '77 my dad took me to every home game over the next 3 or 4 years until i started going with my mates. We first stood in the Imperial Corner but i soon persauded my dad to go the back of the Pontoon.

I suppose the fact Town were pretty good helped get me hooked and for my dad to go along. My mum was Irish so i immediately had an affinity with Joe Waters (my all time favourite player) and Terry Donovan whose family we knew.

Barely missed a home game until the mid 80's.Had a Season Ticket. But the Mickey Lyons and later Bobby Roberts era tested my resolve im afraid. It wasnt much fun to watch and by then i had left school , started work and had some ££ of my own. I bought a Manchester City season ticket and had one for the next decade on the Kippax. Started watching City away as well so while i still continued to watch Town (home and away) it became less regular and was really dependent on who/where City were playing.

What changed was when all seater stadiums came in the early mid 90's. The price of my City season ticket shot up when they demolished the old terracing on the Kippax and built a new all seater stand.  I used to stand halfway up the Kippax on the halfway line.....right were the most expensive seats would be.

As my trips to Manchester lessened I started watching Town more again. Became a Season Ticket holder at BP again in the late 90's and have become so again since we dropped out of the league and rarely miss any home games now. I still watch City occasionally but now it depends on who/where Town are playing. Town are now my number 1.

As more ££ enters the greed is king premier league the more detached i feel from it. I cant relate to players on quarter of a million pounds a week. I still want City to do well but it probably isnt as important to me as it was say 20-25 years ago. Grimsby Town is real football to me and i am desperate we get back into the Football League as soon as possible and move forward.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
sparko501
April 11, 2015, 10:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +97
Because I'm from Grimsby, so it's my duty and I'm proud of it!!! UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
diehardmariner
April 11, 2015, 11:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Because my Dad was cruel and took me at a young age.

First game was Maidstone (lost either 2-1 or 3-2) in September 1989.  I was bored shitless and didn't go the rest of the season.

Next game was first home game of the 1990/91 season against Wigan.  Won 4-3 with Neil Woods running their defence ragged.

Hooked ever since.  Never forgiven the old man.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
oldludensian
April 11, 2015, 11:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from diehardmariner
Because my Dad was cruel and took me at a young age.

First game was Maidstone (lost either 2-1 or 3-2) in September 1989.  I was bored shitless and didn't go the rest of the season.

Next game was first home game of the 1990/91 season against Wigan.  Won 4-3 with Neil Woods running their defence ragged.

Hooked ever since.  Never forgiven the old man.

It was 3-2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
Chrisblor
April 11, 2015, 11:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Born in Grimsby, lived down Carr Lane until I was 18. Could see the Blundell Park floodlights from my bedroom window. Not into any of that glory supporting rubbish so Town are the only team for me (even though I live and work in Sheffield now)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
SpudUDontLike
April 12, 2015, 12:05am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
grimsby pete
April 12, 2015, 10:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Why Do You Support Grimsby Town ?

I was thinking that on the long journey home to Suffolk last night,

I must be mad,

I think I will stick to away games in future,

No fish + chips but a better day out,

AND

Not so far to travel.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
rancido
April 12, 2015, 5:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Les Brechin
For me, and I'm sure for most others, I support Grimsby Town because they are my home town team.

I was actually born in Cleethorpes (Croft Baker Maternity Home) but have never lived in Cleethorpes.

For the first 18 months of my life we lived on Newhaven Terrace but we then moved with my Dad's job to Cardiff and then a year later we moved to Leicester, again due to my Dad's job. Sadly my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia and died when I was 3 and a half, so Mum moved the family back to Grimsby where I have lived ever since.

I have noticed though that there seems to be quite a few people who live away from the area. Most of these will have moved away from Grimsby at some time during their lives but I know there are some Town fans who have never actually lived in Grimsby.

So, why do you support/follow The Mighty Mariners?

I was born at 181 Newhaven Terrace in 1948, Les! My parents are both from Grimsby and started going to watch town in the Autumn of  1965. I can't remember my first game but I can remember the home League Cup game against West Ham and beating Hull City at BP. It's my home town's team and I can't imagine ever watching or being interested in any other team.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
April 12, 2015, 6:40pm
Guest User
I support Grimsby because of Alan Buckley.

Grew up watching Buckley as a super striker and manager at Fellows Park Walsall from 1974.

Moved to Skegness in 1978. Still supported Walsall although attending matches was difficult.

When Buckley came to Grimsby we came to watch his new team and fell in love with the club.
Loved the Buckley style of pure football.
Also loved that he signed ex Saddlers player including Gary Childs, Richard O'Kelly and Craig Shakespeare.

The rest as they say is history

Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.