Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,358 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2015, 9:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
I am a GTFC fan because,

1. My home town club (born Nunny 1967)
2. BP since my first game in 1977 has given  me more pleasure than pain..........Just!
3. Re the above loads of cup ties beating big teams home and away, Kevin Drinkall hat trick last day of the season v Sheff U when e won the 3rd Division, Promotions under Buckley and Wembley 98 x 2
3 There are a lot like me..........and some great support and humour especially when we go away.
4..A current squad of players that really appreciate the fans and are happy to engage with them
5. Despite real challenges the club/fans try and do things to keep fans coming, sticker book, video, inflatables, wigs  
6. Might Mariner.....Will Mini ever come back?
7. The best song in football.........always a barrel of Tetley's for me.
8. Radio Humberside hate us
9.Yorkshire TV and Look North Likewise
10. And we are not Scunthorpe!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
gb
April 10, 2015, 9:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +36
Born London and arrived in Grimsby aged 4. There was a youth project when I was about 7 and my brother won best attendance and got a season ticket for the main stand. Went with him and been going ever since. Season ticket holder until 14 and then my football took over. Attend as much as I can now. Still not better feeling in the world watching town win though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
mariner91
April 10, 2015, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
All my dad's family and most of my mother's are from Grimsby although they both grew up in Mablethorpe. Dad supported them, took me in 1999 when I was 8 and I've been hooked ever since.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
sydney
April 10, 2015, 9:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Born in Nunny
Dad took me when I was 5 at the front of the Barretts stand
Doesn't everyone support the club where they where born?
Not interested in any other team
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
DNMariner
April 10, 2015, 9:55pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Born in Grimsby and lived here for 22 years (bar a brief one-year hiatus in Nottingham). Went to my first match with my old man which was the 6-5 against Burnley when I was 9. Set the tone for what has been an emotional rollercoaster following the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
BIGChris
April 10, 2015, 10:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Born in Cleethorpes, brought up in Waltham. Went to my first game in 1965.
Left the area for 20 years but returned & there's  has only ever been one club for me.

I have seen lot of football but there is only one I have supported.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
GiveUsAG
April 10, 2015, 10:21pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
After moving to Grimsby from Peterborough in 2008, I didn't know anyone nor my way round the town. I was born in Grimsby (1988 ), moved away in 99 aged 11 and didn't really bother with football, was a so called Liverpool fan, but never watched many games. I played football and was really good up until an accident that caused a serious injury screwed that up.

When I left college in Peterborough, I started work in a big retail supermarket. Whilst working there I came across Peterborough united fans and they use to give me a bit of stick for being from Grimsby. My dad and older brother have always been town fans (though hardly go any more) and it started to interest me. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So in 2008 aged 20 when I moved back here (Grimsby) I started going to town games. My first game was 10th October V Wycombe at Blundell park, went with my dad, younger and older brother. Stood left side of the pontoon (where I stand to this day, seven seasons later) and loved it, been going ever since.

I didn't know many people in Grimsby at the time either, and through going to town games home and away (though not been to an away game this season, due to being unemployed off and on) I've met some great fans / people of all ages. Fans like Matty Dawson and Knobby who are sadly no longer with us. I've even met some decent fans of other clubs.

I've only followed town for 7 seasons, but it feels as if I've always followed them. I am certainly proud to be able to call myself a town fan. Being a town fan knowing so many other fellow town fans, makes me feel as if I'm a part of a great community. I don't see us as just fans, but a community of people who have something in common that we are all passionate about, something we talk about so often. It's a community that I am proud to be a part of.

Football is our religion, and Blundell park is our church.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
Maringer
April 10, 2015, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Born in Croft Baker (as was my Dad) and I've lived in Clee for most of my life.

My Dad went as a boy with his Dad and Uncles and we're carrying on the tradition with my young nephew though he only goes to a few matches a year at the moment.

I'm told that one of my ancestors (Great Great Great Grandfather, perhaps?) was one of those who was involved in forming the club. No idea if there is any truth in that tale, however!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
jock dock tower
April 10, 2015, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I was prescribed them after a particularly bad dose of the Farmer Giles.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
cleethorpes_mariner
April 10, 2015, 10:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Born in Grimsby (Nunsthorpe 1966 ) went to my first game at the age of 10, still love it as much now as I did back then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.