Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

This thread currently has 16,363 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 10, 2015, 8:31pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
For me, and I'm sure for most others, I support Grimsby Town because they are my home town team.

I was actually born in Cleethorpes (Croft Baker Maternity Home) but have never lived in Cleethorpes.

For the first 18 months of my life we lived on Newhaven Terrace but we then moved with my Dad's job to Cardiff and then a year later we moved to Leicester, again due to my Dad's job. Sadly my Dad was diagnosed with leukemia and died when I was 3 and a half, so Mum moved the family back to Grimsby where I have lived ever since.

I have noticed though that there seems to be quite a few people who live away from the area. Most of these will have moved away from Grimsby at some time during their lives but I know there are some Town fans who have never actually lived in Grimsby.

So, why do you support/follow The Mighty Mariners?

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
April 10, 2015, 8:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Well!  i was born in Grimsby (Nunsthorpe) in 1970 and was taken to see Town when i was 7 by my uncle Pat and i've been hooked ever since.

I could never support any other team.....ever!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
promotion plaice
April 10, 2015, 8:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
I came over from Hull because my family moved here when i was very young and then i went to watch a match at BP and have been hooked on the mariners ever since. My father was a Hull City fanatic all his life and we had many heated arguments over football over the years. My dad hated town but i think he admired and was envious of them when they were punching above their weight in the Championship as it is now. My dad died just before Hull moved into the KC stadium and he never saw them reach the promised land. He would give me some stick now if he was still alive.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
Fcukthescunts
April 10, 2015, 9:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Born in Leeds. My Dad was Town fan. I got taken to a Leeds match before moving to Keelby but when I watched town I was hooked. Since moving over to Preston I have become more keen and proud to be a Town fan. Many work colleagues are PNE fans (actually off to watch PNE with them tomorrow) but we have respect for each other because of past history's in our lifetime. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
Hagrid
April 10, 2015, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
My dad told me too! And they are my hometown club, ive never wanted to support anyone else, only one of my friends who supports town as well! Never known us win anything as mum and dad didnt take me to wembley in 98!! But gtfc are a part of my life and im so glad i was told to support them from the day i was born, would be a dream come true if i can see us go up this year!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
AdamHaddock
April 10, 2015, 9:08pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Home town club. My old man took me to a match around 95 or 96 (3-1 over Sunderland). I briefly tried the glory supporting thing around 1999/2000 when I adopted Chelsea as my second team. Didn't last long, didn't feel any connection to them whatsoever unlike the mad mix of emotions town put me through

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
LH
April 10, 2015, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
GTFC are the biggest supported team in my slum in Nairobi.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
denni266
April 10, 2015, 9:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
born in cleethorpes, grew up under the floodlights in harrington st . and been going since 1962,, seen the good and bad, sadly this last 5 yrs has been the worst and  realy got to me ,, why,, its only football after all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
mike502
April 10, 2015, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
I was born in North Yorkshire and have never lived within 90 miles of Grimsby... most of the kids at my school supported Leeds who were local or Liverpool who were good.  But my mum's family came from Grimsby and my Uncle took me to my first game - a 4-0 win over Bolton in January 1981. I've been a Mariner ever since, albeit from a distance!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
TownSNAFU5
April 10, 2015, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Father and grandparents lived in Ellison Street, opposite the old Loftis' toy shop, 200 yards from the ground.

My dad was a Town fan so he took me to games.

I was brought up in Mablethorpe, where there were a lot of Grimsby fans.  There used to be a Town suporters bus that went to every home game.  Used to go on the bus with mates, or in my dad's car.  

Been an exile for over 40 years and still travel to games.  Not sure why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why Do You Support Grimsby Town?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.