Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,726 views. Print
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
January 5, 2015, 11:21pm
Guest User
I have to say I agree with john fenty about how the fans negative attitude can badly influence things at bp

There are plenty of other examples of this happening at other clubs and the managers and players saying the same. I would almost go as far as saying it is fact.

John fenty never said it was all the fans fault. What he did say though, was poorly written, poorly timed and placed ontop of a recent history of snide comments on here aimed at the fans which meant what he was actually saying was easily perceived in a completely different way.

Yes, the negativity may hinder players performances, but this isn't the fans fault,  it has been born out of many different factors all of which have been covered on here recently

To stop this we need to look at how other clubs did it. It can't be done by cheap shots in interviews or even just asking fans like hurst did today. There needs to be a connection between the team and fans again and an overall club strategy explaining to the fans so they understand what the players are trying to do. Something to buy into.

Ian Holloway spent a lot of time at Blackpool educating the fans during interviews and at sportsman dinners about how they are trying to get the players to be more expansive and creative and the fans need to applaud mistakes if they want a more expansive game otherwise players go into their shells and opt for the safe option. Human nature.

Luton town had a very similar situation as ourselves. Henry confronted one fan saying how the negativity was harming the players performances. McNulty backing him. John still arranged a meeting with this fan- explained why they need the fans on board. Especially at home when a team comes to defend- and if after 20 mins they don't score that's when the fans need to start supporting not getting on the players back.

The same messages have been said by fenty, Scott and hurst and even mike newell but up till now in a completely different way. A siege mentality. Almost a Us verses them scenario being established. This is what creates further anger, frustration and  just cements the fans negativity.

I am encouraged by john fenty asking disgruntled fans for a meeting. The change must start from the top. I think hurst should also look at how john still and Ian holloway managed this situation and start building a rapport with the fans.

Of course a more attractive and expansive game would also help, but like at Blackpool and Luton, this is hard to implement in a negative environment.  

I hope this is the start of a change in tactics from fenty and co. Sometimes the importance of HOW a message is delivered is more important than what is actually said.
cleethorpes_mariner
January 5, 2015, 11:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
hope you have a hard hat  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 120
pontoonlew
January 5, 2015, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
The fact is fans will not just sit and support any old shite. If you cannot see that the performances are dull, boring and toothless, win, lose or draw then you're deluded IMO.

You can't just expect fans to be bored to tears and simply lap it all up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 120
Biccys
January 5, 2015, 11:36pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Excellent post Salford. It's been mentioned by players that Town fans specifically getting on their backs is well known throughout football. I wasn't fully aware of this but apparently it's a GTFC trait that away teams try to actively exploit. Booing and negativity doesn't help anyone.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 120
davmariner
January 5, 2015, 11:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
You may have a point, but it works both ways. Players have to lift the crowd and I'm afraid in recent times that just hasn't happened. I turn up at Blundell Park feeling utterly depressed, not because we're in the Conference but because it's the same old story and has been whilst Hurst has been here. Not one for booing and never have booed, but the other day I really felt like booing Nathan Arnold. I can take a lack of ability at the best of times, but a lack of interest, effort and poor attitude I can't.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 120
ginnywings
January 5, 2015, 11:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Good, positive managers get teams out of the doldrums.

Hurst and Scott were just what was needed at the time. We were a rudderless ship and needed to stop the decline, steady the ship and regroup in calmer waters. We now need a fearless captain to steer us to choppier waters with more risks and Hurst isn't that man. IMO he should have gone with Scott and i said so at the time.

Hurst is a "that'll do-er", a "just enough-er" and will always be a safe pair of hands but he will never inspire the passion on and off the pitch that we are all craving after an eternity of mediocrity.

The fans will back this team to the hilt if they sense something in the air but when you see the likes of Arnold fannying around like a fart in a colander, then the fans have every right to moan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 120
Abdul19
January 5, 2015, 11:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
If we're not winning because of a large amount of booing we should hammer Gateshead on Saturday!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 120
TAGG
January 6, 2015, 12:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 3610
I have to say

actually said.

Thats better  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 120
arryarryarry
January 6, 2015, 12:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Biccys
Excellent post Salford. It's been mentioned by players that Town fans specifically getting on their backs is well known throughout football. I wasn't fully aware of this but apparently it's a GTFC trait that away teams try to actively exploit. Booing and negativity doesn't help anyone.

FFS, how about getting out and about a bit and visiting other grounds, just how many times do people like you have to be told, it isn't just a Grimsby Town issue.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 120
Neilo83
January 6, 2015, 5:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +261
Gold Stars: 4
Really don't understand this fans being hostile and players not liking it etc... Bp is like a morgue and has been for a while, if they're really struggling with this then surely they shouldn't be football players..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 120
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.