Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium

This thread currently has 21,926 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
November 14, 2014, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Take a look at this:

http://www.brentfordcommunitys.....adium-South-Site.pdf

I think something like this, even if in a very conceptual format, would be very helpful, especially the sketches of different view from different vantage points.  Can the club make some enquiries with Brentford and get a referral to the company who produced it?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 108
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2014, 6:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

But in the same instance the council can shell out large amounts of money for a botched-up bus hub, a supposedly improved station approach, multi-attempts at up-grading Cleethorpes Leisure Centre and a swimming pool out in the suburbs which is costing far more than up-grading an existing facility which has easier access. The Great Dictator and his cohorts believe that only they are right and anybody with a differing point of view is talking rubbish. It says a lot for the area when " The Marx of The Marsh" can get elected as a councillor!

I totally agree with you about council attitudes. But the money for the harebrained schemes comes from grants, EU or government, not from council tax. The days of councils spending local money on big projects disappeared many year ago.

The KC stadium only came about because of the sale of the telephone company plus money from grants as it was a multi-purpose stadium. Hull City was almost wound up just before it opened so the club put nothing in the kitty. Interesting that there was a lot of argument about the site even in a big place like Hull because of the traffic and residential issues. Glanford Park was built on the cheap and the then council did put up some of the cash but that was in the boom years of the 80s. They also got cash from the Football League and various grants.

The problem JF faces is simple and it isn't the council and it isn't even the residents. It is money. There isn't the money in the area to justify the originally planned extra development around the stadium. There isn't a big name in the background that thinks it would be a worthwhile investment. That is why the magic word "housing" has suddenly appeared. At the moment the only people making big money are property developers and the hope would be that the council could sweeten someone to stump up cash for a stadium/community facility by allowing them to build a ribbon development estate down the Parkway before leaving town with bulging pockets. Jumping on a new bandwagon now that big retail outlets are out of fashion. I would expect there will be some smaller retail outlets involved though, why else have 2000 parking spaces?

I don't pretend to know what the right answer is but it seems most likely to me that eventually permission will come for the Parkway. Then some outside property developer/builder will make a lot of money, a main trunk road will become a traffic horror story, local residents will lose some quality of life, more houses in the central area of town will be bought up for rental as people move out to the new stuff ......... but Town will get a new ground.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 108
grimsby pete
November 14, 2014, 6:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth

You will be alright Pete, I will be a young eighty Lol

I really hope we will both be there for the opening Garth,

BUT

I doubt it,

We both might live to be a hundred and we will still be saying we need a new ground.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 108
Southwark Mariner
November 14, 2014, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82

Quoted from promotion plaice

Bit unfair on the council really,  they've managed to attract SKINT to film here bless em.

They should do a tv series about skint football clubs. That would be worth watching
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 108
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 14, 2014, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

They should do a tv series about skint football clubs. That would be worth watching

Who first!! I think that every club is in debt with "major benefactors"

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 108
promotion plaice
November 14, 2014, 7:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,044
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Take a look at this:

http://www.brentfordcommunitys.....adium-South-Site.pdf

I think something like this, even if in a very conceptual format, would be very helpful, especially the sketches of different view from different vantage points.  Can the club make some enquiries with Brentford and get a referral to the company who produced it?  

Sorry if i'm missing something but i can't see no stadium, just loads of flats.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 108
barralad
November 14, 2014, 7:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from rancido

But in the same instance the council can shell out large amounts of money for a botched-up bus hub, a supposedly improved station approach, multi-attempts at up-grading Cleethorpes Leisure Centre and a swimming pool out in the suburbs which is costing far more than up-grading an existing facility which has easier access. The Great Dictator and his cohorts believe that only they are right and anybody with a differing point of view is talking rubbish. It says a lot for the area when " The Marx of The Marsh" can get elected as a councillor!

Harsh! He worked very hard to get elected (at a time when UKIP were very much on top) and he has worked very hard for West Marsh since May. I wouldn't argue with your view of Councillor S**w though.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 108
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2014, 7:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Harsh! He worked very hard to get elected (at a time when UKIP were very much on top) and he has worked very hard for West Marsh since May. I wouldn't argue with your view of Councillor S**w though.

His idea of working hard for his constituents is spending other people's money on his ideas. Mind you, he is not the only councillor to have that disease.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 108
barralad
November 14, 2014, 9:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

His idea of working hard for his constituents is spending other people's money on his ideas. Mind you, he is not the only councillor to have that disease.

Are we talking Shaw or Mickleburgh here?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 108
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2014, 9:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Are we talking Shaw or Mickleburgh here?

Both.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 108
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Town's 5-Year Goal To Net New Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.